Register now to get rid of these ads!

Generator vs. Alternator

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DanBabb, Mar 24, 2010.

1. With my Hemi build, I'm thinking of using a generator (because of the period correct look). I'd also like to use the original distributor and coil I have.

Does my choice of Gen vs. Alt impact other choices (like gauges)?

Do I run the electrical stuff in the truck the same way (negative to ground & Positive Power)? The truck now has a 6v Positive Ground system and I'll be rewiring everything.

2. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I recently went to the GNRS and one thing I notice was that a lot of the cars had Alts. I even saw a couple of completely stock model "A"s with a Alt.( painted black to make it look old) I personally think it's a waste. Unless your car is running alot of electrical things like a high powered sound system or a hydraulic suspension, the Gen will work just fine. After all, whats the point in building a period correct (pre 63) and then having a Alt instead of the more correct Gen?

3. yblock292

yblock292

I agree, i'm running generators on three of my cars and they work great, if you don't have a lot of extra stuff. Just checked mine in the 50 last night 14.5 volts at idle,

4. yblock292

yblock292

Kinda like electric fans............

5. Funny you mention electric fan. I might want to run one (due to space restrictions).

I'm already going to have to move the radiator forward to fit the engine in the truck...and was thinking that a compact electric fan would be a good space saver for me.

No A/C or other components...I don't even have a radio in the truck.

I guess I could find a compact pulley mounted fan...right?

6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

If you are going to run an electric fan I don't see the point in keeping the generator. One is just as big an eyesore as the other. I have an alternator and electric fan on my roadster and keep the hood shut because of it. Might as well run the alternator so that it can keep the battery up while sitting in bumper to bumper traffic. I'm a big generator fan for that old time look but if you must run an electric fan an alternator might give less problems. Of course you can try to rethink the electric fan idea.:D JMHO

7. aaggie

aaggie

There are several people selling alternators that are built to look like generators for those that want the look but need the higher output. It is better to have more capacity than you need, just like horsepower.

8. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

There is no point in having more capacity unless you need it. Same with horsepower, why have a 400 horse motor unless you need it. And I don't buy into that bumper to bumper thing. Unless, you really need the extra power, the gen will do the job. Even if you want to run a electric fan.

9. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

If you are going to run an electric fan the generator wont keep up, definitely go with an alternator for an electric fan.

10. mrmrsoldford

mrmrsoldford
    from Missouri

If you are building an old school rod run the old school parts simple as that. With the 6V positive ground you don't need to change everything as long as it is in good repair. I converted my fathers 50 Merc Coupe to a 241 RED RAM Hemi and 12V negative ground. Simply change the light bulbs, install a voltage sink before the gauges, and swap the coil power wire to the other side. Good luck with your build!

11. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought that the entire premise of hotrodding was to have more horsepower than you could ever use. That's why I'm building a 550 horse LSX for a 2600# car. :D

12. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

Too much HP, do not understand that concept?

13. 117harv

117harv

alt, electric fans and radials are definate improvements.

Generators, mech. fans and bias tires, traditional all the way.

14. BEAR

BEAR

im an alternator guy .. b/c you can get them anywhere is it gos out and you cant with a generator i have a gen on my olds right now but that shit will be coming off before i move back down to socal

15. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

I think MOPAR had their alternators out around '59 or '60. So, using an alternator is not necessarily un-traditional.

I'm using one on my DeSoto Hemi Model-A build.

16. Steve

Steve

whats this too much horsepower you speak of? Hot rodding has always been about the more horsepower the better. Make it go fast first figure out how to stop second

17. lamy_chop

lamy_chop
    BANNED

if you want to stay with "traditional looks" and have to worry about the car breaking down or not having enough power to run necessary items, then go with the generator.
    if you want a car that will have a reliable elctrical system that you can add the stereo later on if you want; that you don't have to worry about your tail lights being bright enough, to keep from getting rearended at night; that you can run the electric fan if you need to do that, than go with an alternator.
    "tradtional" is all well and good, but when you begin running into potential safety issues (the lights and such) than, to hell with "traditional". i'd rather be non-"traditional" and able to drive my car, than be "traditional" and no longer have a car because someone couldn't see me.
    some people take things too far.

18. jbrittonjr

jbrittonjr

I've kept my Ford F-3 stock with the 6 volt positive ground electrical system.
    However I don't plan on a lot of distance or night driving.
    Generators are limited in the current they can safely supply; if I recall correctly 35 amps is the limit for automotive use. That's not a lot of power if you're running headlamps and an electric fan.
    I think in your case that you'd be better served by an alternator.
    If you make the system 12 volt negative ground you can get a 105 amp GM style alternator cheaply, you can run halogen headlamps & have a modern sound system.
    Hope this helps.

19. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I think there is no question that an alternator is far superior to a generator in any aspect in which they can be compared. However, if the looks of a generator are important enough to a builder that he knowingly chooses to disregard that in favor of a generator, I have no quarrel with that.

"You pays your money and you makes your choice".................

Ray

20. a few years back , a friend of mine had a `34 Ford with a 283 chevy and generator that had been pulled out of an wrecked `62 chevy in 1962. even though he never had any problems he wanted an electric fan installed because he was worried about getting stuck in traffic at GG Indy with a stock radiator. i installed a 16" Spal and i too was concerned about the generator keeping up...it would show a discharge at slow idle , but as soon as you got above about 1000 rpms the needle on the amp gauge would swing over to the + side. there wasn't any problem of draining the battery , but you had to keep an eye on it

your experience may differ

21. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

we run a 12 volt gen and a 30 year old Holley volt reg , a carter electric fuel pump, gauges, lights and blinkers of course and an electric fan. had no choice on fan but wish it wasnt there. no charging problems here.

22. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Many years ago I though my generator in one of my cars was cool too. Loved the way the lights dimmed a bit at idle - really living the old car life style, right? Then some body hit me from behind on a dark street at night while I was waiting for a light! They said they never saw my black '35 Ford because the taillights were to dim! Everything I have done since has had an alternator. Better charging at idle, more juice for nice bright headlights, In my opinion, more is better.....

23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Right there, probably the prime reason for running an alternator instead of a generator. When you sit at an idle with a generator at a stop light the generator does not put out enough amps to keep up with the demand. If you have ever driven a car with a generator it was pretty obvious that the lights dimmed when you let off the gas or rolled up to a light at an idle an got somewhat brighter when took off from the light. Also around the early 60's cars started having a lot more electricity eating accessories on them to up the demand.

Want to keep it with "the look" and you aren't worried about dim lights at night and or don't run any or a bunch of accessories, run a generator and grin.

Not so worried about the Look but you don't like dim lights and actually want to upgrade the headlights because you tend to run ten or so over at night across the desert headed to your favorite runs and you just happen to like some tunes when you do along with having the electric fan it is probably a damned good idea to run an alternator that has enough amp output to keep up with the demand.

My roadster will have a generator because there is already one on the engine and It won't have any extra electric items except a pair of vintage driving lights. It just won't need anything more than it has now.
    The 48 on the other hand has had an alternator of some sort since I first turned it into a rod in 1973. It is the road burner that we will head to Texas in on long vacations and cruise in. It is also the rig that I have to have setup so that I can walk into any parts house in the country and get things that might crap out on the road and need replacement. I can buy an alternator that will work and get me going at any parts house worth it's name but a generator means going to a specialty shop or hoping that I didn't loose Denise's phone number so she can throw a help needed post on the board and call someone in the close proximity to see if they can give a helping hand.

I think if you were to go back through the last two years of "help, my car crapped out on the way to-----" threads. 60 percent of them are because a generator crapped out and there is no generator or parts readily available to fix it. They get back on the road eventually but are usually late to or miss the event they were headed to entirely.

24. Back for more questions on this topic.

1) How do I know if the generator I have is +Ground or -Ground? Does it matter how it's hooked up?

2) When I rewire my truck, do I get a wire harness setup that's good for any modern 12v or do I need something different?

3) I'm going to run a ready to run MSD distibutor that's been modified to drop right into the Hemi. That will work with the generator setup, right? I should get a modern coil to run with that distributor, right?

I'll probably have the engine pulled this weekend and want to get the wiring done while everything is out of the way.

25. I run electric fans for convenience but if you have to move the radiator forward for clearance you still have the option of moving the motor back for the same reason.

As for the whole alt v gen thing. As has been mentioned unless you need a lot of electricity (amps) there is no need for an alt. You also have the option of one of those alternators disguised to look like a generator. Someone will say that that's cheating or faking it but face it all hot rods are imposters. Henry never built a model 40 with a 409 or an A with a 8BA did he?

You still hook your gauges up the same if it is positive or negative ground. Hook the ground to ground and the hot to hot.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  26. sonny3

sonny3
    from so cal

The company that makes alternator looking gens is called Powergen I just put one on my flattie because of more power needed for big cfm fan, that is needed because of no room in engine compartment. They are one wire, simple install looks great, lot of power. Now I can install the microwave in my dash, along with the washer and dryer.

27. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

28. I didn't get it either. :confused:
    I'll give the 400 horse analogy even though I think that 400 is a good starting place. And it doesn't hurt a thing to be able to make more zot than you need. But what is the bumper to bumper thing?

Sonny thanks I couldn't remember the name of the company that make the alt-genny thing.

I guess you haven't had time to see how well they hold up yet.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  29. sonny3

sonny3
    from so cal

No I have not had enough time, but so far so good, it did also help eliminate the voltage reg. and three wires under the dash for a much cleaner look. and you don't have to keep the R's up at idle...................

30. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

to me the only motor that looks odd with an alternator is a flathead. anything else it woudn't really matter to me.... especially if it wasn't my car.