Register now to get rid of these ads!

heres my 56 olds project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55oldsrocket, Nov 24, 2009.

1. lookin good hope see it done, i love olds. i got two car 52,56 and one model a coupe got a olds with 6 carb

2. 55oldsrocket

55oldsrocket
    from Santa Ana

Belair - the trans adapter was pricey, about 900 , i got mine from bendstens transmission adapters but someone here on the hamb sells them also. originally the olds only comes with one front center mount and the side mounts are on the stock trans, so since i removed the stock trans i had no side mounts, thats why i had to make some

3. BEAR

BEAR

i like the fire wall allot. i need to do that to mine

4. farmer12

farmer12

Looking good! Nice ride.

5. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

There is a large area under the cowl vent screen that is sealed off from the interior till it goes out into the air boxes on the firewall. The cable system opened doors in the boxes and allowed the air to flow inside through the lower openings in the firewall. If the cowl chamber isn't vented, it will be like a bucket holding water. It can't get to anything as even the wiper motor is shielded to the outside. But you'll have trapped water and no way to get to it.

I revamped mine to create a cold air induction system with flow vents in the bottoms of the air funnels.

In your case, just create a small louver that will be in keeping with your scheme at the bottom of the cowl bucket where it meets the firewall. Shouldn't affect your cool pinstriping.............

When I have to show a more traditional look, I swap the funnels for the tops of the air boxes I saved. It still vents the air down for a better air flow in the engine bay.

Looking forward to seeing how you do your drains..........

P.S. It's still Olds powered. Just a later engine.............

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  6. belair

belair

Thanks for the info.

7. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Happy to help 55rocket88

Couldn't send pics in PM, so I hope you catch it here. These are pics of my 55 Olds which I hope is pretty much the same as your 56. I dropped the box on the driver's side only on a 56 Olds project I had to put the brake booster on the firewall. Left the heater side on so there wasn't an issue with drainage as it's all connected from one side to the other.

As you can see in the pics, you might be able to stay out of your pinstripping and even create a single drain somewhere near the center close to your wiper bulge. You can see the bottom of the air vent chamber under your dash and hopefully take a measurement off your trans tunnel to know where to drill from the front of the firewall.

Good luck and let me know how it works for you............

Attached Files:

8. 55oldsrocket

55oldsrocket
    from Santa Ana

Sir woosh, thanks alot for your help and pictures. ill let you know how it goes

9. 55oldsrocket

55oldsrocket
    from Santa Ana

here is a little update. wiring is complete. took 2 leafs out and installed 4" blocks, cut coils, got front and back seat back from upholstery, installed temp carpet kit i had laying around. put on rear bumper( it was hit and thats why it looks crooked) ill fix later. anyways here are some bad cell phone pictures.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. ponchopowerd

ponchopowerd

looking real good man cant wait to see it done, what color you thinking of for the out side? i like the seats

11. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

i like your car nice project , the green engine color is much nicer than orange

12. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

Hey 55oldsrocket,
    Your car is looking great. I'm so glad to see a car that sits low and is real(no airbags!!) suspension. That is how it should be. Real men drive thier cars low...others lower thier cars when they park!!!! Can't wait to see this one done. You're doing a great job. Is the outside going to be the color that the engine is? I think it would be an awesome color...

13. Caddy-O

Caddy-O

I really like the seats a lot. Looks like it would be a killer job sewing those intricate patterns on hard vinyl material.

14. 55oldsrocket

55oldsrocket
    from Santa Ana

ponchopowered - for the outside im gooing to try and use that same green, maybe 2 tone it with a lighter green. unfortunetly it wont be years from now.

captain junk - i hated that orange, just not my color, i aggree!

333 half evil- i......somewhat agree, i like my cars low, but i also like how they look
    "laying frame" . eventually ill get airbags .

15. racerjohnson

racerjohnson
    from Fargo, ND

Rockets rule, love the direction your going, your underhood engine/firewall treatment is top notch. Looking forward to seeing how the car looks as a whole when done. Have you considered putting the steering wheel "right" side up as opposed to upside down?

Looking great though, keep it up!