Register now to get rid of these ads!

54 Chevy Bel Air Chop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ronniejames, Mar 26, 2010.

1. ronniejames

ronniejames
    from indiana

Well after a lot of research and about a year of planning we got started on chopping my 54 chevy this week. We took out 3 inches from the front and 4 from the rear. I did plenty of research and didnt really want to leave the original glass in the rear so after looking at countless windows decided to go with a 52 Pontiac Cheiftan window from a donor car found about 30 miles from my house. I wanted to keep the beltline and also have the rear window trim from the cheif lip under the beltline on the back to keep the lines of the car to what I thought would look right. Ive got several amazing guys that know way more than I prolly ever will helping who I am eternally grateful for.....Mike Lanning, Rich Michelson and Shannon Pickett (dirtbag here on the HAMB).

Ive taken lots of pictures so Ill post a couple. So far it is looking great. Just thought I would share.

Ive also put in the Gambino notch for the rear just so I could get some clearance (I am not baggin my car), complete update on suspension (including dropped leafs, uprights and steering and disc brake and dual master from ECI).... fabbed and replaced some body mounts, a few frame sections, inner and outer rockets and some lower quarters. Keeping the 235 and splitting the manifold and dual carbs.

She needs a lot of work and there were alot of things hiding underneath all that 30 year old paint that needed attention. I will post more pics as it comes along. I am really blessed to have the guys leading the way that I do. THats part of what makes this really so kool.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  2. ronniejames

ronniejames
    from indiana

Did I mention I am having the time of my life???

3. StanDaManTX

StanDaManTX
    from The South

looks like it lol

4. selohssa

selohssa

Nice job. What is the chain for in the pic without the roof?

5. hvychvy

hvychvy

Looks good!!Was it for sale here on the Hamb,a year or so ago?

6. ronniejames

ronniejames
    from indiana

selhossa....we used a four point harness to brace the body from shifting instead of welding in bracing, so I didnt have to tear into my dash at all.

Thanks guys.....yeah, I bought it from a guy on here and have spent the last year going through the frame and body mounts, brakes and lower panels and driving the heck out of it of course.

7. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

nice proportions...

8. looks good now im thinking hmmm.

9. chopperjeff

chopperjeff
    BANNED
    from minnesota

looks good how did you address the glass?

10. hotdamn

hotdamn

looks killer!
    got any pics of the rear window?

11. ronniejames

ronniejames
    from indiana

We used a back glass that had the proportions we need and I decided on a early 50's chevy or pontiac glass.

DIRT....YOU GOTTA DO IT!!!!!

Here is the only pic i got of the rear glass.....its covered in duct tape so the welding didnt put pot marks in the glass.

Ill post some more after tommorow when we get her molded in and the hole is a lot more clear.

Attached Files:

12. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

man I can't wait to get one!!!!

13. hotdamn

hotdamn

any new pics of the rear window minus duct tape yet?

looks like the rear window is gonna be a pretty damn nice fit!

14. flattrap

flattrap

Nice job. Good times..

15. roddinron

roddinron

Lookin good, fun ain't it! But be warned, takin it off and settin' it back on all seems so quick and easy, now it'll feel like it all went into slow motion, savor every minute of it.:D

16. ronniejames

ronniejames
    from indiana

Well, this is day 4 of the chop and we have it all locked in. Chop is done, welds and pillar bracing is done, rear window is in, shaped and tacked and next week we begin working on the inner mouldings and move onto the headlights and taillights and keep going from there.

As well as the above mentioned we are extending the fender skirts, lowering the rear bumper, shaving the handles, nosing, decking it and I am doing a 5" hard drop on the suspension courtesy of Fatman and Jamco and she is getting a acrylic enamel paint job before hitting the road this summer. THere are some other mods but Ill wait til im sure what all is happening with those before I post em on here.

Here are the pics from todays adventures!! Still loving every second working with these amazing guys and learning every step of the way.

Attached Files:

17. ronniejames

ronniejames
    from indiana

and just so ya know....the holes that look like they were put in with an ax in the rear package tray were already there.....we just used em for a purpose better than to house a couple a speakers.

18. looks great! looking forward to more updates

19. SpeedAddict001

SpeedAddict001
    from Alaska

That is looking killer!! Thanks for posting pics and sharing with us! Keep it up!

SpeedAddict001

20. THESNEAKYTIKI

THESNEAKYTIKI

The chop is looking great. What are the plans for the headlamps and tail lamps? Are you changing them out of just frenching them. Are you doing any grille work? Maybe a few extra teeth would brighten the grille up if you are not changing it out. Also are you going to reshape the rear bumper or just lower it? Looks like you started with a real solid car. Keep us posted and good luck.

21. hvychvy

hvychvy

Looks great!!Another awesome chop on the HAMB!!!!!!

22. ronniejames

ronniejames
    from indiana

Yeah, I really like the lines of the 54 as they are. I considered going with 55 chevy headlights and a few different rears but decided on just keeping them 54 and frenching them out. Ive already added extra teeth to the grille and I am putting california bumpers front and back with a pontiac rear plate gaurd.

It was a really strong car for the most part. A little rough on the frame but my buddy steve did some killer replacements on my body mounts and frame patches and she is back to solid.

I have taken pictures of pretty much every step of the process and will be posting a "54 chevy chop" tech and another "restoration tech" once we are done.

It is such an amazing process to experience and I couldnt be happier. The guys who have helped me make this a reality are truly solid kats with a lot of serious expeirence and I am really lucky to have their help. Dirtbag54 on here is one of my best friends who NEVER does anything unless it is not only right on but also spot on.

I am glad I could share this and thanks for all the great comments guys.....its kool to be able to have such a great place to ;ay these sorta things out for others to enjoy and critique.

Attached Files:

23. Lazer5000

Lazer5000

Dynomite! This really is the greatest passtime on the planet isn't it?

24. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It sure looks like you did your homework! Great Job! I still wouldn't mind picking up a '54 just to chop it...

25. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

Great work

/Stefan

26. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

GREAT JOB....that car is going to be really sweet. Keep the pics coming!!!

27. choptoprat

choptoprat
    from Indiana

Hey man this thing is lookin pretty sick man. I love it! I have really enjoyed what work i have been able to help with and im looking forward to doing alot more work on it. I cant wait to see the finished product!!

28. hotdamn

hotdamn

this is one of my most most favorite 53 54 chops ever!

Love the rear window!