Register now to get rid of these ads!

Coups Vs. Roadsters

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by erlomd, Mar 26, 2010.

?

Roadster or Coupe

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. Roadster

77 vote(s)
    43.8%
  2. Coupe

99 vote(s)
    56.3%
  1. I like one of each!
    HemiDeuce.

Attached Files:

2. Jimmy Tee

Jimmy Tee

I've been going throgh this dilema for the past year, Roadster v Coupe. I love the tradition that a Roadster gives but also consider the practicality of all weather driving that a Coupe provides.

My mind was made up for me this summer where we had a number of events that started off with Rain in the morning only for the day to Fine up, or vica versa. You can get all four seasons in one day here in Melbourne (Australia), so I've selected a Coupe. I also agree with 'Fuel'..... "If they're done right, coupes can look really evil."

3. DirtyJohn

DirtyJohn

I'm with Fuel (Clint)...chopped coupes=evil. I enjoy how small they are inside. I like the awkwardness of crawling in over the cage to get in. I even like having to lean forward to see traffic lights through the little mail slot windshield. Thumpy exhaust notes reverberating around inside that little metal box goes all through me.

4. I like em all, but roadsters are the ultimate!

5. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

Hmm??? Three points points in favour of coupes.- 1) Chopped
    coupes with 'mail-slot' windshields are absolutely SINISTER looking
    - 2) John Milner drove a coupe and - 3), the Beach Boys *never*
    made a song about "A Little Duece Roadster"! :D

Mart3406
    ====================================

6. erlomd

erlomd

could not have put it better....crawling over the cage though, does this mean that coupes are only good for one thing only? being plain evil, drag racing, trouble making, and being known around the neighborhood as the guy you shouldn't mess with?.....well, thats fine but what about the cruises through the canyons, and drives through the desert? what about cruisin the beach or hittin the highway! does a coupe still sound like fun? or is it like a raunchy bar hopper? both points are clearly understood and enjoyed...man this is gettin good!
    at least the coupe owners are firing back with some great points as well

7. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

This coming from the guy that has a coupe in his avatar!!

Coupes are better, of course!!;)

8. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

Well said!! Here, here.;)

9. Fuel to burn

Fuel to burn

HRP- I've always loved a topless car, but that 5W is awesome!

10. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

Yep. So true.
    I have honestly thought that, should the need for that roadster feeling ever seriously take hold of me, then maybe I can make my coupe have a roll back rag top. Kind of like an old V.W. rag topped bug.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  11. erlomd

erlomd

when I think of coupes....this is one of the baddest ive seen...

[​IMG]

then this roadster has been catching my eye...
    (and yes I like the alfa romeo style curved winshield...its different in a vintage sort of way)....kinda looks like a roadster version of 3W Larry's coupe

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  12. Can't believe this silly thread is still up :eek:

While were at it, we really should decide which is best ... Chocolate or Vanilla ice cream?

13. erlomd

erlomd

i dont know about that, people here are giving preety good remarks and personal views and cool experiences with either or....
    i mean, hell! if you dont like the thread...I think you should figure the rest on your own chicken coupe....and to answer your question....vanilla sure is tasty

14. fuel

fuel

A rolling bones style coupe is freaking hard to beat. I LOVE those coupes.

I like chocolate myself. Vanilla is good too but a little too plain and ordinary. Kinda like roadsters. Roadsters kinda blend together to me, esp. 32s. Don't get me wrong there are some that I'd give a left nut for, but there are a whole lot more coupes that push my button.

When I see a roadster (especially a 32) I think rich, old guy. When I see a coupe with fenders I think: rich old guy. When I see a chopped, fenderless coupe I think my generation (X). Totally freaking stereotypical and probably not even close
    to being accurate, but that's what I think. I normally see old guys driving the first two and guys my age (I can't say young anymore!) driving fenderless chopped coupes.

The devil would drive a nasty chopped coupe and eat chocalate ice
    cream. I'm just saying...

15. DirtyJohn

DirtyJohn

I have to vote for vanilla this time man, but your probably right about the devil preferring chocolate ice cream. He has to eat it damn fast too, but then again he's satan so I guess he has his ways.

16. Jimmy Tee

Jimmy Tee

Chocolate Ice Cream and Chopped & Chanelled Coupe's for me!!!!

17. Curly Hand

Curly Hand
    from Tucson

Seen some beautiful roadsters, seen some beautiful coupes. I just don't like the way cloth tops look, and I love the quarter windows on the Tall T's, as well as the 28 through 34 coupes, (all chopped of course). I have to vote for COUPES!

18. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

Well...I think if you grew up in the 70's and 80's, at least around here, actually Roadsters ingrained a negative slant, for a lot of us.
    They were the "Keep up with the Jones" too cool for school car of choice.
    The Corvette of the hot rods ( well..."Street rods", at that time.) A "clout" car...so, we kind of poked fun at all the street rod guys, with their clone armies of red roadsters...

I think a coupe IS more sinister, too....Chocolate for myself, as well.
    It's largely a secret, who ever is inside a chopped coupe, until you walk up to the door, and that mystery helps promote that vibe.

Supposedly, in the 40's you would have been buried in Roadsters up to your ears, but, I've never cared much for that era of car build anyway, so, by the 50's, and going into the 60's, a lot more coupes were surfacing, it would seem, and the cars actually began to become more diverse appearing, instead of just black/black, K/H spokes, flathead, etc...
    In the 60's things went wild, and, IMO, at the track was what was happening. LOTS of different cars, then...lots of variety.

I've ALWAYS wanted a '32 5 window, though, even then, when I was a kid, of course, because of A.G. ( but no, NOT with a foot-and-a-half tall grill shell.) :D

I like a roof.
    It's kind of useful.

But, now, I would certainly build a Roadster, and drive one, too, in fact, I may, depending on what comes down the pike, on my next car, but, given the choice, I like a roof...never really much cared for convertibles, either.

One thing comes to mind, though:

If you build a Roadster, ( provided you don't care about a top at all...) you get to skip ALL that top wood b.s., or filling it, chopping, re-aligning everything, a large portion of interior, glass, door tops and drip rails, visors, etc....
    That amounts to a LOT of time LESS, before you are on the road.

19. John in Oz

John in Oz

I guess it depends what the weather is like where you live, I have had most likely 50 50 in both but a coupe in a bad area is better than no top, but now I live in a sunny area I have roadsters with a fold down top to stop getting sun burnt but the top down at night is really cool.

20. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

I LOVE them both, but I think where you live dictates the car. Up here in the great white north I just love cruising with my buddy with me in my coupe and him in his roadster. Especially on a cool August night and he has on his coat and Beanie hat, swatting bugs when stopped at a stop light. Thanks but NO THANKS to the roadster, I will just soldier on in the coupe. LOL. :cool:

21. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I've built at over a dozen deuce roadsters and an currently finishing my 30 year 3 window coupe project. Only had 1 other coupe, a five window back in the late 70s. I sent my latest roadster (HopUp #10) down the road to Japan this week and turned around and bought a gennie body and frame. I'm wrestling with what style I want to build the roadster. I don't know if I have the stones to cut it up like I did the Brookville, raised wheel wells and reshape the cowl like a 36 roadster with the front slamed the rear kicked. Then I look at the three black early style roadsters that were featured in R&C back a few months ago and I scratch my head? I'm definetly a roadster kind of guy!

22. I have a fendered coupe and a roadster...but I'm neither rich nor old

23. tex34ford

tex34ford

I vote for convertible(there doesn't that sound better than cabriolet?)I'm older (71) so I appreciate the roll up windows and extra leg room of a '34. That being said, I take the top off in May and run without it untill November. With the top up I drive all winter, though I guess I should get a heater someday.

24. A heater?? What is that??

25. Half-Fast Motors

Half-Fast Motors

I just hurt myself............:D

26. irace2win41

irace2win41

I had a roadster, building a sedan, wanting another roadster...........

When I lived in South Dakota I had a 30 roadster and loved it. No top, no windshield wipers, no heat. Drove it to the Street Rod Nationals in Minnesota and loved it. Got wet on the way but enjoyed every minute of it. One of each is the best, but the roadster is just so much more fun to drive and enjoy on nice days.

My next project will be a roadster.

Forget chocolate or vanilla, strawberry is the ticket. Build what you really want, if not you'll regret it later.

27. bonesy

bonesy

I’ve had them both. It’s really a blonds vs. brunettes type question. They are both good, but as individuals, some are just better than others.

28. Dirty2

Dirty2

So true !

29. pincher

pincher
    from Saginaw

COUPE for sure. If i want the to get wind blown i hop on the crotch rocket.............PINCHER

30. Chuck R

Chuck R

Roadster is #1

And I have both.
    chuck