Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who here enjoys the build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by carcrazyjohn, Mar 26, 2010.

1. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Just wondering how many of you guys enjoy the build .This one is for the builders ,Not the guys that send them out to be built.No offense . I personally enjoy the build and then lose interest once its done .I dont know why ,But thats life.

2. Captain Freedom

Captain Freedom
    from Upstate SC

Yes, but for me its a spiritual matter becuase idle hands are the Devil's tools. Gotta stay busy...

3. I just finished building the exhaust for my truck tonight, so yeah I like to build.

4. 76ironhead

76ironhead

Isn't that what its all about. i find a little something to work on so its a never ending project.

5. Theonlylotus33

Theonlylotus33
    from Reno

4 days a week, 6 hours a day. Hands down the best way to feel a sense of accomplishment is to see a 2 year project come together and fire up.

6. budrow

budrow

Working on one, one in the shed and another all thought out and most of the parts seined up, not enough time. Life is good.

7. Babyearl

Babyearl

At last count I had 19 projects piled out of the shop and 5 in the shop,, but no place to work on them. I am the hunter, gather type,, the thrill is the find, the retrieving, and the dream.

8. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

I dare say the VAST majority of guys and gals on the HAMB are here because they enjoy the build. That's why the HAMB has also become one of the best go to sites of fabrication ideas and tech stuff. There is so much knowledge here because almost everyone is in to building rather than paying to be built. Personally I enjoy the build to a certain extent. I don't have the money to pay for anyone to build my stuff so I've had to learn how to enjoy it. I'm not gonna lie though, the building aspect wears on me sometimes. It's just that everything little thing involved in building a car eats up sooooo much time. I feel liek it's never gonna be done and that can be depressing. I enjoy driving far more than building. My dad on other hand loves the journey far more than the destination. I should probably be more like him...

9. BEAR

BEAR

i love to build just have not done allot in the last 4 years but i will be starting as soon as i get back down to socal

10. wvenfield

wvenfield

I won't lie. I like the driving far more than the building.

I don't mind the tinkering after it's running as long as at the end of the day it's running again.

I don't mind at all helping someone else on their non running car though.

11. I really enjoy the build and then really enjoy using it and building another at the same time.

12. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

i like both. really love to drive, but enjoy a project too. that's why i usually try to have a driver and a long term project.

13. PilotHouseMopar

PilotHouseMopar

For me the build is never finished.

14. glockkf

glockkf
    from st louis

what about us folks that just enjoy the teardown? I like taking my cars apart. not so much with putting them together

15. Donnda

Donnda

I really enjoy the build and soon get bored with the finished product, then its time to sell and use the money for another one Yeah it's fun to drive for say a summer but what am I going to do next winter? If I start another one I don't have all the money I need for the compleation of the next. I always have one or two in the planning stage but not much building time untill the sale of the last one.

Donn

16. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Favorite toy when I was a boy was my erectio...I mean...my erector set. These cars are just an extension of that. We are CRAFTSMEN!...We are ARTISTS! LOL.

Not just anyone can build a car...like hardly anyone. Those that do, should be proud.

I'm gonna finally start building my roadster. You know that, John. You bet I'm gonna enjoy the heck outa the build. Even when it gets a little frustrating...I'm gonna savor it.

17. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

John, I'm sure you've built them from scratch and that has to be the ultimate. The one I'm just finishing was the most extensive to date.
    Then to have an inspection and approval from someone who has built rail dragsters from a pile of pipe and worked with very high end racing was my gold star.

Glad to say in all the attempts, I haven't gotten in trouble with any and was always able to finish them. But then, that's the fun part. See how far you can go doing things you've never seen done before.......

Another good part of building is the fabricating of one off things that work well. So at least when you do a build instead of buying one, you know what you have and what it is.

Yep, dig the build for sure............

18. nitrozahn

nitrozahn

I enjoy the build. I never set any time table or deadline. I feel once I det a deadline then it is more like a job then a hobby. I work on things when I feel like and as money allows. They day I fire that baby up will be pure heaven though!

19. superjunkman

superjunkman
    from Austin, TX

I usually do, but I had a rough night!

20. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What's the matter, junkman?

21. It's a love/hate thing for me. I love actually working on my car... but I hate trying to find parts that I want or need, that I can afford. Sometimes it gets frustrating... but when everything starts to come together, it's rewarding.

22. Yeah, I agree. I had rather be putting it together.Once its done,or nearly so, I get bored with it and stash it away and start on another.Some of them,I never even drive at all.

23. todd_a

todd_a
    from Tyler, TX

I love the build. I love to make the parts I can't find or just want to try to make myself also.

I have not had the chance to do much sheet metal work on this one yet, but I am soooo ready to dive into it. I have a lot of rust to cut out and build panels for.

24. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

Love the build but love driving more. My car is running but I am plagued with a fuel issue AGAIN! Rebuilt the carb and now the brand new fuel pump will give one good squirt then immediatley start to trickle fuel. Is that normal?

25. roddinron

roddinron

My dad was over one day looking at my latest build, and he said "you really like building cars don't you?" I answered, "I just like making things, and rods and custom cars just need a lot of things made. Then, when you're done making stuff, you put em all together, and you got a car."
    But for me, it's not just cars, it's anything, I'm never happier than when I'm building or creating something. I feel sorry for people who don't get to experience that.

26. Count me in, seeing your work and plans come together is a great feeling. When you are finished for the night and you sit back to ponder the next move only to find you can't leave it alone and you go in again for another hour until your eyes sting. Thats when its good, most people may not understand. I think it came from the amt model building days when you had boxes of spare parts from the 3n1 kits. Oh man there are some memories there, seems like yesterday, then you realize that was a long time ago. "Plan your work, and work your plan":cool::eek:. President Obama should declare a National Build Month for hot rods.

27. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Everything that goes with the fabbing and the tinkering. I do the chassis first though, as soon as the motor is runnin' I'm in the saddle!:D
    1 on geralds 31 chevy chassiss.jpg

28. BarryA

BarryA

I guess I'm way more on the building side of things than the driving side.
    Now of course if I ever get any of my stuff finished enough to actually drive I may sing a different tune:p

29. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Offense taken...stop lumping all the guys that have a car built into one pile. Just because we all don't have a shop full of all the necessary tools and the talent to fabricate our dream, doesn't mean we don't share the same passion.

It takes alot of vision and forethought to come up with an idea for a unique vehicle, and then hours, days, weeks, months tracking down and purchasing all the neat little parts to complete your dream.

And then finding just the right craftsmen to fulfill that dream...may sound hokey, but it's alot of fucking work.

I spent countless hours pouring over the details to make sure I would end up with my dream car...but I also understand how you feel about Johnny Checkbook who goes to a high-end shop and says "Build me something that will get me noticed"....we're not all cut from the same cloth.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  30. Rad-Ride

Rad-Ride

I enjoy enjoy the build.... only a few times I get frustrated because I don't have a lift or a certain tool that is needed. It seems like I get the car/truck looking like good, I find another "gotta have" project to replace it. I would keep them all but only have a two car garage at this time.