Register now to get rid of these ads!

DROP AXEL vs LOWERED LEAF SPRING

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by theorangecouch, Mar 24, 2010.

1. theorangecouch

theorangecouch

I have a 48 chevy truck and am going to lower it 4-5'. There seems to be a few options. I was going to use a 4' drop axel and blocks but I also see they make lowered leaf springs with up to a 4' drop. It sems like the springs would be an easier install. Does anyone have any expierence with these setups. What are advantages or dissadvantages between drop axel and drop leaf springs?

Thanks

2. David Chandler

David Chandler

Just a guess on my part, but I'd think you would have less front end geometry issues with the "dropped" springs.
    Blocks up or down are not a good idea in my book. I've knows some four wheelers who have tried them and had horror storys to tell about death wabble etc., when it was fine before they "fixed" it.

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is going to take more than both a lowered leaf and a dropped beam together to get a 4-5 foot drop.

I suggest a shovel, or maybe a few shovels, some friends, and some beer.

4. TERPU

TERPU

Use 'em both and go as low as you can. Those trucks look great scrapin' the ground.

Tim

5. trmel3

trmel3
    from new jersey

i have both on mine.not happy. bumpsteer becomes an issue. if i coul;d i would go ifs with it if u can afford it

6. Dave K

Dave K

I have both on my 1959 and with the drag link flip from Sid at

http://www.droppedaxles.com/CHEVY_AXLES.html#TXTOBJ7D8154316162C31

there is no bump steer to speak of and the truck drive nice other than a little stiff.

If I could only do one or the other I would do the drop axle hands down. If done right the truck will more or less ride like stock.

7. Javier

Javier
    1. Strugglers C.C.

Go for both.Ive been running with four inch lowering mono leafs and a two inch dropped axle for almost two years with nothing bad or unusual for this kind of set up.good luck

8. Dave K

Dave K

IF you go with the drop axle you can always take out a few leaves or reverse the eyes and de-arch the springs (both free if you do them yourself) to go a little lower.

9. waldo53

waldo53
    from ID

That's what I did, 3" dropped axle and 3 leafs removed from the front spring packs. When running a dropped axle you'll probably also have to do a tie-rod "flip" so that the tie-rod runs under the springs. Bump steer occurs because after lowering, the drag link is no longer parallel to the frame. You can bend your steering arm, flip the drag link, or raise the steering box, or a combination of any of the above to get the drag link level and eliminate bump-steer.

10. theorangecouch

theorangecouch

Yo whats up Javier, You helped me with some tire questions a little while back. I was going top buy a 60 like yours ended up with a 48 chev. I ordered a drop 4" drop axel from Sids its about six weeks out. I just was wondering about the springs...thanks the rest of you guys too for the imput.

11. Crease

Crease

In general, you will lose travel with the drop springs which could result in a less than stellar ride. Not sure if that will be the case with your particular ride. Drop axles, if done correctly, ride just like stock. As mentioned previosly, tie rods, etc could need some tweakin.

12. theorangecouch

theorangecouch

tThanks for all the imput. I think im going with a 4" drop axel and blocks for the back. Ill post some pix when finished. Getting the axel from Sid, he says he's a few weeks out.

13. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

The truck shop sells just the front main leaf with a reverse eye. This is not the entire pack of leafs, just the main one. Check it out at www.truckandcarshop.com

14. Hyway Hauler

Hyway Hauler

I run a 1975 K5 Blazer 44" Boggers, 454 Chevy...lifted with 8" lift blocks. Drives on the Hwy. like a dream. If done right, no issues!

15. tedsrodshop

tedsrodshop

I just got word that a 4" dropped spindles are in the works for 47-53 chevy trucks right now. I will keep everyone informed as i know more.

16. NONHOG

NONHOG

Any news ? Word from ?

17. synthsis

synthsis

WOW! this could be my answer, as I've been on the fence about dropping my truck. Still stock height now, need any guinea pig testers?