Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Shane's Project Thread......Wheew!....Finally!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BAILEIGH INC, Mar 20, 2010.

1. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

Finally......I got the car coming my way! This is my Mom's 1960 Corvair that she has owned since I was a little boy. It is in Longmont Colorado. I grew up in this car! In the early 90's she had the engine rebuilt and had all the rust bondo'd up and painted. It was near mint after that. It was her daily driver for years. As she got older, she lost interest in the car and it started to sit in the driveway. It has 30,000 mile on the rebuild and still runs like a champ. It just has been sitting for a couple of years with no one to love it. She said she wanted to get rid of it, so I asked if I could have it. She said, you get it to Wisconsin on your own dime and you can have it.

Sweeeet!

So I started looking around and could not find anyone to haul it for under $1,000. Not that big of a deal, but just got married and bought a house this year. Couldn't convince Tammy to let me blow a grand on it yet. We agreed we would go out to Colorado and pick it up this summer durring our vacation. So, it has been on the back burner for months....untill.....

A buddy told me about www.Uship.com

I found a gentleman who will be in the area next week, got a smokin deal. Only $500 delivered to my house. He is insured and hauls vehicles for a living. So I should have it next weekend! I am stoked! More pics to follow!

PS.....The rims are the first thing to go!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Cool score! That's what I need.... relatives that give away cool stuff.:D

3. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

Shane, what are your plans for it?

4. Philbilly

Philbilly

Great score! I can see a cool little 60's custom.

5. cal1954

cal1954
    from Omaha, NE

Keep us posted Shane. Can't wait to see the direction you take it.

I have been sending you emails about equipment that I am going to purchase the last two weeks. Thank you very much for quotes and the info! Andy

6. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

sweet lil project....

7. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

I don't know. This will be my first project, so I will need some help from the board. I am getting rid of the rims right away. I will need to check and see who has parts local to me.

Maybe someone want to tade some body work for some baileigh equipment? :confused:

8. Shanes biggest concern was getting it to Wisconsin. Now I wont have so far to travel to get it. Great work Shane! Thanks amigo!
    Your newest...bestest buddy, Todd.

9. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

Maybe someone want to tade some minor body work for some baileigh equipment? :confused:

10. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

Tomorrow is the big day!

I am stoked! :D

11. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

Sweet thanks!

Any other ideas?

12. I don't have the photoshop prowess of many here, but I can make suggestions with the best of them...they may not be good ones, but I can still make them!

My opinion is that there has never been a car that original TouqThrusts don't look good on. blackwalls!

Opinion #2 is that Astro Supremes run a close second. They were even made in 4 spokes for 4 lug hubs. Pinner whites!

13. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

It's on it's way!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. fast30coupe

fast30coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Illinois

Unsafe at anyspeed badass

15. "Wheels" Shane, "wheels" :)

16. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

I need some recomendations please :cool: They are 4 bolt

17. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Shane , nice ride ! Had a 61 myself and was a fun car to have . I just sent you a PM with 2 emails of a good place to get all your Corvair parts . He is easy to deal with and will ship parts to you . He has a huge yard full of Corvairs !
    keep the pics coming !

RetroJim

18. krooser

krooser

Simple painted steelies with baby moons would be period perfect.

My high school buddie Chuck had a '62 700 series... with a hopped up 80HP with a 3 speed... we had a lot of fun in that car when I was a youngin'...

I remember the night we stole a case of "Harvest Wine" from his employer in Milwaukee... Mader's German Restaurant. The plan was for me (age 15) to drive his car down the alley where he had stashed the contraband...on his break, he'd toss the case of wine into the trunk. Worked great until we found that those special 36" tall bottles (kinda like a grenadier bottle) wouldn't allow the trunk to close!

So here I am, 15 years old, no license, driving thru downtown Milwaukee on a busy Friday night, loaded with wine, with the trunk of the Corvair wide open...

How I pulled THAT off I'll never know.

Good luck with the car.... keep it HAMB friendly and we'll see you at the Shakedown.

19. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

It has a 900 Monza engine. What does the 900 stand for? CC?

20. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

Yeah! It's here!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  21. kookee

kookee

Congrats! I know you must be excited! The car looks to be in really good shape.

Take a look at the new R&C. In the dream car section there is a corvair with supremes. Looked very good.

Good luck and keep us updated!

22. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

23. jeffh355

jeffh355

Very Cool!!!!!

24. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

how about a shot of under the decklid panel.curios as to the damage youll find under there from your other thread.

25. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

I'll shoot a pic when I get home

26. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

27. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

Update!

It has been sitting for years.....so I checked the oil, squirted a couple drops of gas in the carbs and it fired right up. Started purring like a kitten right away. Man does it run good....Drove it up to the gas station and put air in the tires. I am stoked! :cool:

Check out all of the books my Mom gave me with the car. She also included the original hub caps and the original am radio.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. See if the original hubcaps will fit those wheels. Slap em on for now. Redrill the hubs to 5 lug chevy, thataway your wheel choices go way up.

29. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

Finding custom custom 4 lug wheels will be fun. Not really any choices out there. My '63 I had, had a set of Datsun/Nissan Z car wheels on it when I got it and they were there when it left.

There are disc brake kits out there for the front. if you get a later spindle ('65-'69) and the late model brake kit you can easily swap the front to disc brakes and get 5 lug. The rear will have to be re drilled as mentioned before. This will make your wheel options limitless. The only problem you might have is fitting a smaller wheel with the disc brakes, I know some disc brake kits will not allow anything smaller than a 15" wheel.

Do a google search for Rafe or Raffe. He is in OK and does brake kits for the Corvairs.

If you want to lower it the front will just be like any other car, as far as the back goes, good luck.