Register now to get rid of these ads!

History WHAT'S SO GOOD about Hot Rodding???????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KIRK!, Mar 24, 2010.

1. KIRK!

KIRK!

You're right, you shouldn't, unfortunately the system is in "their" favor and currently "they" have all the juice.

2. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Look at the "4 door gone mad" thread. All the other guys that have amazing skills OUTTA THEIR GARAGES!! These are the people we GET to hang around. its an honor to associate with these hoodlums. Ask about an engine thats 80 years old. You'll get an answer here, and most likely a parts source. World wide.
    amazing.

3. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

We got a brand new library last year and signs went up not only for handicapped parking spaces, but car pool vans and hybrids. When I park my '29 extended cab in the hybrid spot, I hang this laminated sign on the MotoMeter:

NOTICE!
    This 1929 Ford truck was assembled from recycled parts made in the USA dating back to 1927. The flatbed was crafted using sustainable materials. Craftsman in Denver, Grand Junction, Bayfield, Durango and Aztec benefited from the money spent on the construction of this car. Not a single dime was contributed to the Japanese economy in the building of this car.

4. "Positive results of Hot Rodding"

Typical characterristics of todays Hot Rod/Hot Rodder..

*Multiple vehicle ownership-Daily drivers as well as their Hot Rod/s-paying license and insurance on all of them

*Typically home owners who pay property taxes

*Typically conscientious voters (well versed in public laws and ordinances)

*Vehicles are garaged-not cluttering up the city streets, and alleys

*Vehicle taxes paid when ownership changes (normally based on the vehicle value, which is higher then the typical commuter vehicle)

*Vehicles typically are not contributing to the traffic rush hour problems (usually driven on weekends)

*Strong emphasis on proper maintenance and safety (suspension, brakes, tires, etc)

*Additional license income from vanity/specialty vehicle plate purchases

*In the snow states-they wouldn't be on the highways with studded snow tires, therefore not contributing to their ill effects on the roads

5. screwball

screwball

Most shows up here have a charity getting most of the show money. We donate thousands of dollars every year just in our city. Im sure there is millions of $$$$ donated to worthy causes all over the world by car guys and girls.

6. RDR

RDR

Hot rodders ARE the original RECYCLERS...we were reusing old parts over and rebuilding components from delapadated machines LONG before the word recycle was even used or popular....recycle means to use over and that's what we're about...I'd also say we will be way ahead of the pack by doing our own work and repairs when the country goes the way of CUBA...except you can't say that here,so forget I said that !

7. rustyhood

rustyhood

It's my American Dream!!! And Im an American Building it!

8. I think it kept me out of trouble when I was younger. As someone said earlier...it was buy dope or buy car parts, and I chose car parts.

I like saving something, or just making it a little better even if I don't finish it.

In the 'readers rides' sections of the early magazines (or whatever that section was called back then) you'll see numerous people talking about modifications AND their mileage. Many of us still do that in our old cars, and our dailys: attempt to make them more efficient and personalized.

9. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

It's already been mentioned but I believe the connection of the older generations with the present ones in almost invaluable. It's a fact that information about cars is passed down from older to younger (how else would the information transfer?) and in doing so respect and accomplishment is a byproduct. When the "generation gap" rears its ugly head the male population in particular has a bridge where common ground CAN be reached and that common ground is cars. Win/win for both camps.

Frank

10. good on yer Kirk, great thread an idea.
    hot rods make people smile!

11. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

in highschool i never had money for drugs and booze cause i spent every dime i had on my car, sometimes girls ...mostly the car though

12. KIRK!

KIRK!

Actually they are very much behind many of the "anti-old car" legislation. I'm not saying greenies suck at all. I'm all for the environment not being damaged. In fact, I'm a fanatical recycler. The issue is that they say we are part of the cause, when we aren't.

You are right that C.A.R.B. is one of the worst.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  13. terrarodder

terrarodder
    from EASTERN PA

It is also good to keep your mind sharp. I'm in the over 70 group, my wife says I need to keep my mind working, she is into computers and things like that. I have always been into mechanical things so I keep figuring out ways to make something work or what to use. It also keeps me in touch with younger people.

14. This is getting politicky...

15. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Unfortunately legislators always tend to pass legislation that has great effects on <link rel="File-List" href="file://localhost/Users/jackbutler/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/msoclip/0clip_filelist.xml"> <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:AllowPNG/> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves>false</w:TrackMoves> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:DrawingGridHorizontalSpacing>18 pt</w:DrawingGridHorizontalSpacing> <w:DrawingGridVerticalSpacing>18 pt</w:DrawingGridVerticalSpacing> <w:DisplayHorizontalDrawingGridEvery>0</w:DisplayHorizontalDrawingGridEvery> <w:DisplayVerticalDrawingGridEvery>0</w:DisplayVerticalDrawingGridEvery> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:DontAutofitConstrainedTables/> <w:DontVertAlignInTxbx/> </w:Compatibility> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="276"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--> <style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Cambria; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 16777216 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:0in; margin-right:0in; margin-bottom:10.0pt; margin-left:0in; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Cambria; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style> <!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;} </style> <![endif]--> <!--StartFragment--> individuals but very little effect on anything meaningful in society. It's easier to legislate against those that are basically powerless in terms of payoffs and benefits to their re-election than those that line their pockets with perks. I'm quite a realist when it comes to politicians and they have a long history of doing nothing about anything that actually matters and a lot about stuff that doesn't really matter. Our few thousand Hot Rods don't have any effect compared to the hundreds of thousands of trucks, buses and automobiles that slowly ply our roads everyday. But lets legislate against a few thousand Hot Rods that are driven primarily for pleasure and then everyone will think we're doing something. It's all BS of the highest order. It's my constitutional right as an American citizen to build and drive what ever I like as long as it's safe and legal. It's the last word that is becoming increasingly problematic. DON"T GET ME STARTED ON POLITICIANS.........:cool:

<!--EndFragment-->

16. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Most hot rodders and old car people in general are some of the nicest, most respectful and helping people I know. And I say that in all honesty. The hobby connects a lot of good people in great ways. It would be a shame to essentially start passing a bunch of laws that kill that off. The relative overall negative environmental effects off old cars in the state of CA has got to be pretty insignificant compared to the sheer number of cars on the road.

17. metalshapes

metalshapes

It'd better not...

18. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

29NASh, wow I had no idea CA told CO to triple your reg. Man, not the same here. Maybe you should actually move to CA.

19. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

The fact is, CA has a long and incredibly honerable history of cars and a car hobby and is still one of the greatest places in the world to enjoy the hobby. If we didn't have so much positive things to lose, it wouldn't be as big a deal. But killing off the car hobby in CA will kill at least a small part of our collective state soul and identity.

20. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Don't get your panties in a bunch about where I live. :D

Okay, I deleted that post. Political?

OF COURSE it is. IT'S A POLITICAL THREAD, THAT IS UNLESS "INFLUENCING LEGISLATORS" (OP'S PREMISE), ISN'T.............................

21. ironfly28

ironfly28
    from Orange, CA

Some positive ideas would be to have your car clubs support something like a park rejuvinantion, an effort to get racing off of the streets, a litter clean up, a show to raise money for a civic project etc.. etc.. then write a full report of attendance, moneys raised and community projected impact and send it to your local rep. alot of politicians get on the anti old car bandwagon because they see the reports from the groups that head these things and never hear from us.. because political activism is a hobby for some of the people in the groups. remember: the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

22. wizzard23

wizzard23

x2!!

23. ironpile

ironpile

"indivduaity"

24. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

Wow I never thought of this. Also keep me clean.

25. greeno

greeno
    from Fresno,Ca.

I'm an old 75 year old hot rodder, and I can speak with some knowledge on this subject after being involved for 62 years. An overwhelming number of hot rodders are in their Golden Years. They have worked hard, fought in more than one war, started businesses that have employed many tax paying people, helped build hospitals, schools, highways and every other thing in California. Their interest in Hot rods has made California the heart of the car building hobby. Hot Rodders have untold amounts of time and money invested in this hobby and are not going to risk their investment by driving recklessly or causing accidents or law inforcement problems. All the hot rodders ask for is a fair shake and the opportunity to enjoy their hobby and remain productive and involved citizens and residents of the state of California. With the sad state of affairs our state is in now Hotrods can still bring a smile and remembrance of how great our state used to be. Let's don't destroy one of the important attributes that the state is known for worldwide.

Gary Greeno
    Fresno, Ca.

26. greeno

greeno
    from Fresno,Ca.

I'm an old 75 year old hot rodder, and I can speak with some knowledge on this subject after being involved for 62 years. An overwhelming number of hot rodders are in their Golden Years. They have worked hard, fought in more than one war, started businesses that have employed many tax paying people, helped build hospitals, schools, highways and every other thing in California. Their interest in Hot rods has made California the heart of the car building hobby. Hot Rodders have untold amounts of time and money invested in this hobby and are not going to risk their investment by driving recklessly or causing accidents or law inforcement problems. All the hot rodders ask for is a fair shake and the opportunity to enjoy their hobby and remain productive and involved citizens and residents of the state of California. With the sad state of affairs our state is in now Hotrods can still bring a smile and remembrance of how great our state used to be. Let's don't destroy one of the important attributes that the state is known for worldwide.

Gary Greeno
    Fresno, Ca.

27. cretin

cretin

You make all good points KIRK! I just wanted add to these two.
    Of course the cars pollute, just like all other cars, but this is a labor of love and these cars are very well maintained. How many times do you see a late model vehicle being used as someones daily that has been completely abused and burning oil and blowing blue smoke everywhere?
    Not to mention the average home causes more pollution then the average car.

We are not only the ultimate recyclers, we are the original recyclers. All these cars got saved from rotting back into the ground. How many Prius owners can say there car was properly disposed of?
    Is it really any worse for us to be driving our old cars around then all the mining the do to make the batterys for these Hybrid cars? What about the damage it does to the environment when you have to dispose of all those batteries?

There are lots of good reasons to keep this hobby alive, I hope all the info collected here does not fall on deaf ears.

28. B.B. doin' the 49 states in 9 days for Ronald Mcdonald House charity is over the top.

I always get a kick out of the kids. Even the little bitty kids will point at my '46 pickup, recognizing it's something different. How do they know?

or maybe it's my big nose they're pointing at...

29. BISHOP

BISHOP

Hot Rods keep me humble, allow an outlet for creativity as well as anger. I think building my pickup has given me brain exercise and a sense of pride in my work. Keeps me away from the TV....I think alot of people are looking for quality in their lives, I have it.

And they are neato.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  30. ironfly28

ironfly28
    from Orange, CA

Take away my hotrodding and political activism/accountability will be my next hobby. I'll be camping out at reps houses trying to figure out what they're doing wrong and then blogging about it the next day. so you could say our hobby is a great distraction........for me anyway.