Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 57 Belvedere 4 Door Gone Mad

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Racrdad, Sep 16, 2009.

1. 3spd

3spd

Here is a grill idea, its pretty basic:

[​IMG]

Any other ideas you want me to try?

This is going to be one bad ass ride.

Ryland

2. You been hanging around Plowboy too much. :D

Don't listen to the nay sayers its a 4 door for cry sake.

What ya gonna push it with? Needs a mountain mill for sure.

3. Racrdad

Racrdad

Ryland - 3spd, how about any grille insert with a 60's flavor. Decorative perforated metal or something with round drawer pulls or doesnt even have to be round ones. I like the tube style but really looking for 60's with a twist.

4. I don't know if it has been mentioned but have you thought about having the quad headlights mounted at an angle instead of directly vertical? With the bottom light leaning in at about a 60-70 degree angle. Just my two cents. Looking good!

5. harrington

harrington
    from Indiana

Windshield frame flows really well with the rest of the cowl, looks like it was made for that car.

6. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Here's my crude Photoshop attempt at using the front of the original hood to roll the top of the grille shell down into the grille. I think it would give the front some dimension. I actually pasted your deck lid on the top of your grille shell.
    [​IMG]

7. BEAR

BEAR

man i cant wait to see this all done

8. Here's my thinking on the grill opening. Since you're working with a 1957 Plymouth, so why not borrow some styling themes from other 1957 vehicles? I'm partial to the expanded mesh of the Studebaker and/or the egg crate from the silver Ferrari. Lower on my list would be the heavy egg crate of the Rambler and at the bottom of my list would be stacking 2 '57 Plymouth grills with the center verticle bar. I'd look at turning the bottom one upside down to create a double V and mirrored center verticles.
    My last thought is to not put any grill in the hole, like the black Ferrari photo. The painted two tone arount the opening could then be carried onto the body as a scallop.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  9. I´m also thinking that it needs something to tie the grille shell and body together somehow.

10. 3spd

3spd

More like this?
    [​IMG]

If you post pictures of the insert and the the knobs you want I can put them together on the car.

Ryland

11. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I am SO glad you opted for the MGB w/s, and not just because I happen to have one on my '36! ;) It fits and flows perfectly with the rest of the cars lines, they mount easily, as you've found, and it looks like it was made for it. Looks like you got lucky and the glass won't have to be narrowed, like I did. It's PERFECT. I think we're gonna drive the price of these things WAY up on ebay.:eek:

Have you thought about a pair of Imperial headlights flanking that shell? It'd certainly keep that Exner "Forward Look" going that you have, and it'd be all MOPAR. I'm just say'n!:D

12. Awesome job!! This is looking killer!!

13. Racrdad

Racrdad

Smaller knobs with art deco style screen behind it. Doesnt sound very original though does it? This is going to take some serious thought.

I just happened into this windshield deal, it showed up on our local craigslist for $50 and at that price I knew it was worth a shot. I am not set on headlights yet but having those hanging on the grille shell keeps me thinking about what to do with them. I like Imperial lights too, got a set laying around you arent going to use? :D

Thanks, all the support, suggestions, even critisism keeps me going forward.

14. Toner283

Toner283

If it is not too difficult at this point, maybe try canting the headlights & standing back 50 feet to see how they look.

Looking good, I always look forward to updates on this car.

Have you got any ideas on how/what to title it as? a home built or maybe as the 57 belvedere? (since that is what it is - kinda)

15. Lunatic

Lunatic
    from Carson,Ca.

the windshield is perfect,someday that car will be famous...keep up the good work

16. 3spd

3spd

Could you post a picture or describe what a art deco style screen looks like? I'm not sure what that is and I can't find anything on google images.

Ryland

17. modified 300G grille and headlights with a Plymouth horn button emblem in place of the 300 emblem.

[​IMG]

I also took the liberty of putting the right engine in there . . . :D

18. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I like Imperial lights too, got a set laying around you arent going to use? :D

Thanks, all the support, suggestions, even critisism keeps me going forward.[/QUOTE]

I DID have! I bought a pair a couple years ago, before I started in earnest on the '36, when I had a little finned 'glass boat I cut up and was going to build a roadster body out of (your car looks WAY better!). They knocked around here on the bench, and I sold 'em not too long ago on ebay. Wish I had them now, I'd let you have 'em! They show up often, but they're sorta pricey now.

Good deal on the w/s, that's what I paid for mine, minus the glass.

Brian

19. loco_gringo

loco_gringo

Awesome build, you got mad skills.

20. kustombypook

kustombypook

I love 4 doors, and when I first saw this post and what you did to a solid looking 4 door I was mad as hell. But now, I love it. Keep up the great work and keep the posts coming.

21. 1941ihkb5

1941ihkb5

Increadible!!! Try a newer Imperial headlight bucket than the 61. I think 63? They actually sat forward from the fenders and the back of them had chrome buckets. They will bolt on easily. As far as the grill goes, What would Barris do? WWBD?

22. ron0257

ron0257

This is incredibly badass! i love it!

23. RUMBLON

RUMBLON

WOW--------------------------THATS ALL I HAVE TO SAY IS WOW. Say this link on a mopar site and found my way back here after being gone for a while.

very very cool, RUMBLON.

24. freebird101

freebird101

i love all of these amazing grille ideas

25. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Sorry I don't have any ideas on what might work in the grille department, but what I have seen so far leaves me cold.

Amazing work on creating the body and it all works till you get to the grille. Then its just not right. Not sure what the answer is.

26. George

George

Move south!:p:)

27. harrington

harrington
    from Indiana

Any more updates?

28. rustyhood

rustyhood

Dude ,you're idea and talent is insane!!!! I enjoyed this from page 1. Awesome!!!

29. roddinron

roddinron

Have you considered using lexan rod pieces in the grill, like some of the show cars from the 60's?

30. robleticia

robleticia

He hasn't posted anything lately because he has sold the car. Sorry for the bad news!