Register now to get rid of these ads!

Steelies Not Clearing Calipers Help!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chevytruckin98, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Chevytruckin98

Chevytruckin98
    from Tx

Okay here is my dilemma:

Okay fellas, I decided to do a disc brake conversion on my 1965 C-10 (Not very HAMB friendly I know) for a few reasons:

a) I can lower it a few more inches

b) Wife wont complain that the truck is not safe with outdated brakes

c) I can rebuild the front end for cheap with the deal Brothers Trucks has going on.

My dillema is that the steelies will not clear the calipers. Does anyone know what I can do the remedy this?
    [​IMG]

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

2. Bigger wheels. More offset wheels. Spacers. How far is it off?

3. Going to have to swap the wheels...ran into the same thing on our '60 Elcamino...though it has 14" rims...

4. Chevytruckin98

Chevytruckin98
    from Tx

I really do not know, I have not purchased the kit just yet... I hears you can do spacers but I do not want to be stuck buying new wheels
    Are there any companies that offer factor style 15" wheels

5. 49 lincoln

49 lincoln
    from reno

The Wheelsmith is supposed to make steelies for disc brakes

6. Chevytruckin98

Chevytruckin98
    from Tx

Sounds like a good lead! Thank you

7. Can the company that makes that kit tell you what will work?

8. Zephyr3789

Zephyr3789

Do yourself a favor and use anyone, but Wheelsmith. There are a few other wheel guys that I know of in so cal, even a HAMB member who does wheels. You may be able to find someone closer to your area though.

Wheel Vintique - Fresno, Ca (559)251-6957

Hamber: Bear Metal Customs - Morro Bay, Ca (805)772-7997 earlywheel.com

*Offers a HAMB alliance discount*

I'll find the HAMBER that does wheels and post his info. I believe he is in the Ventura area.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  9. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Have you tried the wheels yet?

10. Chevytruckin98

Chevytruckin98
    from Tx

No they dont seem to be very knowledgable at all

11. Chevytruckin98

Chevytruckin98
    from Tx

Thank you...Man I love the HAMB

12. geemann51

geemann51

NotSNot sure if it's a look you can live with, but GM g body wheels work great

13. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

Believe it or not, some of the factory 6 lug wheels will fit over disc brakes and some won't. Apparently, GM used different manufacturers of wheels during the 60s and there are slight variations in the wheels on their backsides. Some guys do the swap and reuse original wheels, others have to get new wheels.

A good cheap way to go is to run 6 lug rally wheels off 70s and 80s era 4x4 trucks and Blazers. They are 6 lug, 8 inches wide, and meant for disc brakes.

14. Dzus

Dzus

The back edge of the drop center on the old steel rims is further in and hits the caliper. The newer steel rims that came with disk brake trucks have the back edge of the drop center farther out and away from caliper. If you put the two rims next to each other you can see it immediately.
    You should be able to find regular 6 lug steelies off a 70's or 80's truck if you don't like the fancier rallys.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  15. Yep, any GM 15" 5 x 5 wheel will clear it. Donors are full size Chevys, Olds, Buick, Caddy, etc. Also light trucks, which are wider than car wheels in some cases.

Bob

16. rixrex

rixrex

Spacers will cure the problem..that said, do them right, use loctite, double check the lugnuts, check them again..I know this from ugly experience..

17. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

I think he has 6 lug rotors

18. It has to do with drum brake wheels and disc brake wheels more than anything.

If your wheels are big enough around (I'm guessing that they are) then you just have to put a spacer between the mounting flange and the wheel. Most normally 3/16 to 5/16 will make them clear. Try some washers between there and see how much space you have to make up.

19. You could swap to 5 luggers at the time you do your brake swap -then you have alot of steel wheels to choose from.

20. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

I used early wheel, good info on their web site + a couple of calls and all sorted.

http://www.earlywheel.com/products.html

21. All depending on what the rear axle is. I missed the point that he may have a 6-lug package there. I agree on the 5-lug option having more fit candidates.

Bob

22. Chevytruckin98

Chevytruckin98
    from Tx

BTW thanks guys for taking the time to help me out.

Yes, the truck is 6 lug and I really want to avoid converting the rearend to 5 lug is at all possible ($$$).

Well guys I just got off the phone with Stockton Wheels. They sound like they know what they are doing. Apparently I can send in my wheel and they will make them disk brake compatible for $195 per wheel plus shipping. It comes out to $450 for the work. How does that sound?

I called earlywheel and those guys are awesome! They can build a wheel for me around the exact measurements I need for 100 bucks a wheel

23. TOM-KAT38

TOM-KAT38

late 70's up to 87 Chevy & GMC 4X4's came with 15x7 or 15x8 steelies. Not as common as the rally wheels, but they are out there. They will accept most GM dog dish caps. The 15x8 have a cool reversed look to them. I used these on my '66 that was severely lowered and had no clearance issues. Good luck, Tom

24. Tbomb428

Tbomb428
    from SoCal

Just my .02 cents worth, but $195 per wheel to convert your steel wheels to clear disc brakes sounds like a complete rip-off. Steel wheels are cheap!! And like these guys said above, find some stock steel wheels from a later truck when they all came with disc brakes; that would be super cheap!

25. I'd just look for the 6 bolt factory wheels from the disc brake era and use them. Also, after you install the disc brakes, try your originals, and see if a thin spacer will give you the clearance you need. It's usually not much of a clearance issue.

26. Dzus

Dzus

Chevytruckin98,

Don't spend that much! I'll sell you a set of 4 15x6 steel rims for $100. These are the regular rims, not the rallys. I went through a disk brake conversion on a truck 15 years ago. I picked up a set of steel rims for it, then picked up a set of mags for it, and later sold the truck with the mags. I have no use for the steel rims.

Where are you in Texas? I am outside of Austin.

27. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Its not that expensive to convert the rear to 5 lug.....I bought 2 axles and brake drums for a 72 chevy 1/2 ton.....I had the axles shortened on the splined side 3/4 inch for 75.00...had to cut a new grove for the lock clip...under $200.total

28. DrJ

DrJ

I run 14" smoothies on an ECI disc kit on my 40 GMC.
    First time I tried to bolt them up the brake calipers hit the rims.
    I found the caliper casting where the retainer pins go through stuck out way farther than they needed to in the direction of the rim and were basically "as cast" and not machined or cleaned up there at all.
    So, I got out a grinder and a BFF (Big File) and shaped the "horns" down until I could mount the wheel and pass a piece of corrugated cardboard in between them just for flex and caliper movement insurance.
    If they'er close to going on this remedy might work for you.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  29. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

STAY AWAY from Stockton Wheel. Do a search here and you will find horror stories about Stockton Wheel. Don't forget about Rally America, they are also alliance vendors and really good people.

30. Chevytruckin98

Chevytruckin98
    from Tx

I am in El Paso, but I visit family in DFW pretty regularly... Are they 6 lug?