Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Most Influential Customs of the past 15 years?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by McPhail, Mar 22, 2010.

1. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I really like all of these stellar examples of recent kustoms. I like Vaughn's 61 Cad also, almost better than the Ford.

Cutting edge? Who cares... I think it's cutting edge to dig in to one's imagination and sense of balance to create some of these cars. To me anything that isn't built with a credit card and a book full of 1-800 numbers is more cutting edge than most. The only car I don't care for is Cadzilla. No doubt that it got it's 15min of fame and left an indellible mark on some, but it's just too many ideas on 1 car that don't work together. I love the mirrors made from bumper guards, I hate the moon tank. I dig the chop and proportions, I hate the modern look to the glass. I like the stance when it's laid out, it hate the stance in the picture. I like the color and the use of blackwall tires, I hate the modern wheels. JMHO. How would that car look with some gennie sombraros and WWWs, maybe draggin ass a bit more than in the pic. Still made a major influence and I respect all the talent and vision it took to get there.

2. scrape53

scrape53
    from iowa

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    kaiser...i like all the drag-n-shop cars. great style.

3. as soon as i saw this title, two cars immediatley came to mind, coles 54 and jesse james 54.

jesse's because as soon as that black one baby ray built hit the tv screen, everybody i knew put their minitrucks up forsale and hunted ebay for a 53-54.

coles because its just so damn perfect, as soon as those kids brought their newly aquired chevys home, thats the first car they looked to for inspiration/guidance.

yetiskustoms likes this.
  4. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Were talking MOST influential in the last 15 years--Jimmy Vaughns chopped Riv-how many rivs are being built today because of that car-there everywhere now.How about Scrape, D`Agostino`s(?spelling) 40 Merc-Stardust, or his 51 Merc Midnight sensation- these cars inspired the people to buildalot of the cars mentioned above. These were the new generation of trendsetters. Before Jimmy V`s and Mcphail`s Chevy~s, There were`t that many around- now there everywhere. These where the one`s that I could think of right now.

5. glassguy

glassguy

wow thanks tony!! if you dont have any ill post a few.. i have to say what has influenced me the most in the past 15 years is the dagastino, zocci cars. they made me want to do better!! other than that it has always been the lil books that i still read constantly! speaking of witch.. i havnt seen one of yours since the calendar.. whats the story???

6. mj40's

mj40's

7. dj_rockinvic

dj_rockinvic

I have to agree, this car by "Drag n shop" is real gone!

8. dj_rockinvic

dj_rockinvic

My inspiration for my side trim treatment.

9. Idrawcars209

Idrawcars209

This is my favorite !!! Mike Young's 1960 Chevrolet Impala. I have seen this car in person. The abalone metal flake paint is impressive !!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  10. Is this the Para car you were talking about?
    The topic is great but opinions will vary on who influenced who or who is more influential. Certain cars just hit a nerve and make you want that style or look. Barris' Merc inspired a generation of car nuts around the world, Cole Fosters 54 inspired a generation to get rid of their mini trucks and buy old Chevy's. The hobby always needs new ideas, if not everyone is just building clones

Attached Files:

11. krimsonghost

krimsonghost

i've never seen that one before, the only thing I don't like are the flames. Other than that it's great!

12. I second that!!!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. How about Roger Odell's Zephyr?
    [​IMG]

14. glassguy

glassguy

yep thats the one flash was talking about. it was my friend freds car that i chopped, and painted. now owned by a n.j hamber cant think of the screen name drawing a total blanc! ill throw in a few pics. im glad i may have influenced someone doing what i love!! nothing new here just new again

Attached Files:

15. I would have to say,Fish's 36 and the Cole Foster 36 would take top honors too!

16. OLLIN

OLLIN

Ill have to agree with you on that one man.
    I used to see Baby Ray cruising around venice in a custom flat black shoebox about 15 years ago. He was one of the first dudes I remember around here into traditional customs. Yeah that chopped 53-54 was definitely influential, now you cant go 20 feet without seeing a customized 53-54 at a car show.

**another influential non-custom was definitely Julio Hernandez' super low/extreme chopped 5 window model A. It was the lowest and most extreme chopped hotrod at the time, but it still looked traditional. Then you got a bunch of copy cats that built even more extreme cars for the shock value.

17. I know many of you may disagree,but Jesse James black '54 Chevy sparked a boom in chopped '53-'54 Chevy copies...

18. 49SUPER6

49SUPER6

Going by my own taste I would say Zocchi's 39 Dogde let everyone know different was cool(not my fav in pastels but that is Zocchi) and all of the Chopper's did it for me all lined up at Paso. Anything Gary Howard or Lee Pratt lets you know less is more and Gambino's F@ck You 54 for just drivin the shit out of something.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  19. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

I gotta agree with you Bob, looking back I think most of us have evolved past it, but at the time anybody and everybody knew that car. Even non car people.

20. Kustoms Illustrated

Kustoms Illustrated
    from West

Most definitely the Paras Merc. It made people re-think the 4dr to 2dr conversion. Extremely influential in that manner!
    Here's an earlier version of it in that not too many people have seen.

Attached Files:

21. I'm not saying it was my favorite,or that I think it's great. But I think it caused some builds....
    I think it's influencial if it makes people want to copy it. Not just because it's a nice car. There were LOTS of nice cars built in the last 15 years.

22. hotrodihc

hotrodihc
    from London Ont

This one is # 1 for me
    mybday034.jpg
    P8310360.jpg

23. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Dave, Mikey Miranda (O'Doyle) owns the car in Lyndhurst, NJ. He goes by "thesupersized" on here. The car still looks great and is in good hands

24. glassguy

glassguy

thanks joe.. cant believe i couldnt remember it.. hey i saw your car done on another thread., holy shit does that look good!!!!!! hope i can park near it some time this summer... your in a whole new class now pal!

25. Idrawcars209

Idrawcars209

John D'Augustino has been producing the top kustoms every year for the past two decades.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  26. I'd also say...whoever did the first satin black car with a flake roof,influenced alot of guys!!!

27. Idrawcars209

Idrawcars209

Another from John D'Augustino [​IMG][/IMG]

28. Idrawcars209

Idrawcars209

Here's the Dodge that made everyone think again about the other brands.[​IMG]

29. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

I covett nadine. don't know how influential she is, but something for me to aspire to. mild custom, hard to mess with the factory package.

[​IMG]

30. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry