Register now to get rid of these ads!

32ford shell peak

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rubyreddog, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Any sugestions on how to add a peak to my 32 ginnie shell? It was smothed and leaded in the old days. Thanks......

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Use the search function. Several threads about this, how-tos.

3. alchemy

alchemy

Add more lead.

4. I know I'll get some flack for this but lead is the last thing I want to add to my shell. All the places where lead is present on my 32, even the factory seams, are showing "wrinkling" under the paint. Other areas where bondo was used, still look great. I painted the car from bare metal in the late 70's. I know that the Epoxy primers today are better than the Laquer primers of the 70's but lead, seams to want to move around alot.

Metal to metal type of body filler has been sugested but I would prefere to have more "metal" than filler on the shell due to the high temperature it is subjected to.

I've tried the search feature here but have come up empty on any "how to" threads. I'm not the most computer knowledgeable guy, so I'll keep trying.

Thanks for your reply.

5. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

Why not just sell this shell, and buy one like you want? A lead filled and smoothed period modified shell will bring good money. That'll save you work and time, and preserve a piece of period history for someone else to use.

6. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I had a really cherry shell other than the fact that it was filled and leaded and really flat. I had the old patch cut out and a new one formed with a noticable peak and it was metal finished in with no lead. Looked much better.

7. 5window

5window

It may not suit your build style at all, but how about a grill shell ornament to form he peak? Here's one from Bob Drake-I've seen this in person and it looks pretty cool-but not my build style, either.
    http://store.bobdrake.com/19bulgrilshe1.html

8. Some good sugestions. Thanks guys. I probably should have posted some pictures but as I said, I'm not very computer literate and I just started posting on this site. I'll try to get some picts soon.

I've owned my 3 window 38 years, I've been driving it for 26 years and it's got all factory sheetmetal so I don't want to buy a repro shell for it. I'm going to remove the lead and I was planning to slit the shell where the peak would be, hammer the metal up to form the peak and weld in a rod to fill the gap using minimal filler.

Forming a piece of sheetmetal with a peak, with all those compound curves, is beyond my talent level, I think........ I might give it a try, however.

Any suggestions pro or con would be appriciated.

9. alchemy

alchemy

Melt the lead out and try tapping a peak in the steel that's there. If you cut a slit, and add a thick rod, it will be hard to work and you'll probably have more filler in it than there is now.

Just draw a line down the inside center, hold it over your vise opened up about an inch to use the jaws like an anvil, and tap in between the jaws along the line. Sure it will take some fine tuning with a hammer and dolly, but I bet the result will be nicer than cutting and welding.

Then slather on a little plastic.

10. Seach member Scootermcrad. He just posted
    a pretty slick method he used to do his.

11. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

on mine it has a piece of steel that says "hunt for the best" or something like that, so apparently they used a Hunts tomato sauce lid to fill it, and leaded over it

If anyone can say yea or nea on that slogan being Hunts, letme know, it's just a guess on my part

12. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

Just to clarify what I wrote earlier, I wasn't suggesting that you buy a repro. I was suggesting that you buy an original that has already been filled and peaked the way that you want it.

13. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

Yes, that was a Hunt's slogan.

See http://www.goantiques.com/scripts/images,id,554648.html

The slogan was first used in 1946. [Source: The Oxford Companion to American Food and Drink, By Andrew F. Smith, 2007]

14. Tom.Sweden

Tom.Sweden
    from Sweden

Search for Bass, he has peaked a 32 grille shell on one of his projects his dealing with, looks awesome.

15. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Thanks T-time!!

16. T-TIME I'm looking for the experience and the fun of doing this project myself. I don't care how long it takes. This car is my baby. It's better than watching the hoops games on t.v.

ALCHEMY Good tip, exactly why I posted this question. You and SCOOTERMCRAD have inspired me with 2 methods to peak my shell. I'm going to practice with a scrap piece of 18 ga. steel before I start banging on the shell.

Thanks to all who have responded.......Clay

17. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

That's cool. I just don't like to see a piece of period work re-done or un-done. But its your grill shell, so its your call.

18. Bull

Bull

19. T-TIME, I totally understand where you are comming from. For years, I wanted to chop my coupe, now, I would never do it. It just would not be the same car to me.

Ultimately, we all have to build and enjoy our toys for ourselves because---- no matter what we do, some will like it and others will not. I think that's why they make 31 flavors.

Thanks for your imput....Clay

20. BULL That is awesome!!!! That peak totally matches the exposed hinge on your hood.

I started out by using a piece of 3/16" rod that I ground a peak into and then bent it to the shape of my shell. But when I taped it on I realized it was too tall and just did not achieve the look I was after. Aditionally, I want to use the stainless trim piece between the shell and hood. Something a little more suttle is what I am trying to achieve. Something like the Doan Spencer roadster.

Thanks for the suggestion.....Clay

21. Danny G

Danny G

I used the peak out of a 92 Chev truck hood.

22. MUSALP73

MUSALP73
    from ankara

hi, sorry
    Do you have '32 Ford measurements (body)?;)