Register now to get rid of these ads!

Has anyone built a 40 ford pick up into a gasser?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chad, Mar 21, 2010.

1. chad

chad

Looking for some pics or something...The 40 have a similar side profile to a willy's just wondering why more of them weren't built onto gassers......I have a real good 40 cab and sheetmetal and was pondering the thought of a gasser....

I stole this pic from another site ..I think it looks kinda neat....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
    EVL401 likes this.
  2. 62rebel

62rebel

i couldn't offer a real answer, but i thought about it, and it may have been that the trucks weren't used for several reasons; they had heavier frames and longer wheelbase, kind of difficult to shorten (not impossible, just difficult) to gasser length; they already had "jobs" as shop trucks, push trucks, or even customs; and simply weren't considered good raw material for gassers at the time when Willys were still around. just my opinion and i may be 180' out on it.

not that one wouldn't look good as a gasser today....

3. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Has it been done? I'm sure it has, but while Willys pickups make cool gassers (I saw more than a few race), the Ford is better suited (some of the reasons are discussed above) to use as a bitch'n tow/support vehicle, or driver/hauler.

By the way, in the gas classes, stock wheelbases were required. The Willys wheelbase is around 100 inches, the Ford 112.

Also, as a final disclaimer, know that I drive a '41 Ford pickup as a daily.

4. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

can't post pics I have. sent an e-mail. reply if you want the remainder of the set

5. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Id bet a 40 ford is easily 800 pounds heavier than the Willy’s that’s why.

6. 69fury

69fury

Ditto on the weight/frame issues, however it looks right if your not competing in a restrictive class.

On a side note does anyone know the name/make of the front wheel in the pic? I keep getting "oh, those are brand ____" and when i check up, they are only "kind of" similar, or are a flat steel wheel...

7. gup

gup
    from Washington

8. ARCONORCAL

ARCONORCAL

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!.........that is breath taking.......almost sit hot coffee all over the screen!!

9. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

69 Fury: On a side note does anyone know the name/make of the front wheel in the pic? I keep getting "oh, those are brand ____" and when i check up, they are only "kind of" similar, or are a flat steel wheel...

I'm pretty certain they are Centerline Auto-Drags. Been in production forever (since early 70s), available in several 15 inch sizes, polished or natural finish. Not usually considered a traditional wheel, but good reputation for quality, light weight, and function on the street or strip.

10. 69fury

69fury

I've got some Auto Drags- hard to see in this pic if the rivetheads are there or if it's pure smooth center...

All these gasser trucks look badass, though...

11. davis574ord

davis574ord

Build it dude that will look bitchen!

12. rustisgold

rustisgold

any more info or pics of that grey one? its too sweet!

13. gup

gup
    from Washington

I dig Gasser pick-ups and this one fucking rules!! It was pic I saved from the Gasser Madness web site. There are some more pics of it under the "Readers Rides" section.

14. chad

chad

I think that little grey pick up looks pretty good.....

15. There was a red drag 40 PU in SRM back in the 90s. Very good looking truck.

16. Sanford&Son

Sanford&Son
    from Visalia,Ca

48 Anglia Nostalgia drag car in Hamb classified, check it out for sale:cool:

Attached Files:

17. rustisgold

rustisgold

does anyone have any idea how much that grey one is chopped? im guessing in the neighborhood of 4 inches?

18. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

the grey one was sold to rick in mesquite tx, painted gold had sbc and 4 speed chopped 6 inches and suicide doors ran great sold for 10k

19. Gizzy

Gizzy
    from N.W,Ohio

I love 40's....any style!!!!!!! Giz'

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  20. rustisgold

rustisgold

dragrcr50-thanks a million for the info, any i dea of the wheelbase? looks a lil shorter than stock

21. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

its 100 inch :cool:

22. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Does it really matter if it's been done?? If the car or truck is pre-70s then chances are it has. It's your truck, do what you want with it regardless of whether it's "been done" before or not.

23. Anderson

Anderson

That looks a MILLION times better than all the fenderless "bobber" truck things people are making from these cabs.

24. chad

chad

Exactly....This truck before I got it was going to be turned into one of those bobber trucks...but I rescued it...

25. bbc 1957 gasser

bbc 1957 gasser

would a 41 willys glass clip fit on this cab ? i got another idea oh no ...:eek:

26. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

Funny you mention that ,I did some research on that with the help of some H.A.M.B.ers and it looks like the Willys may be an alternative. It will have to wait though as I have other stuff going now. There is a thread already on a Dodge but I forgot the name of the poster.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  27. 416Ford

416Ford

28. rustisgold

rustisgold

looks like iv got another project to gather parts for-iv been itchin for a gasser for some time but a willys or tri-5 chevy doesn't seem too economically feesable. 42-46 ford trucks are still resonably available arround hear. anyone know of someone who makes a one piece 'glass fromt clip for a 40-41 pick-up?

29. thesupersized

thesupersized

hamber: orangenuf from the meadowlands street rod club has a real cool 41 ford pickup that was built back in the day, i saw old pictures of it, but can't find them now..here is a video of it...maybe he'll post pics of it or someone else.

the 2nd link is older and has the old paint job which i really like.(gold/with green i believe)

the 3rd link is bob bracken (bob37) racing his 37 chevy against it cool stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYH4NKv9EKI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci6bMIoMPr8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3u1oIoY721w

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010