Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lucky's Speed Shop Pedal Assembly Install

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bib Overalls, Mar 17, 2010.

1. I recently purchased an improved Ansen firewall style brake and clutch pedal assembly from HAMB Alliance vendor Lucky's Speed Shop. Today I finished the basic insallation. This is how I did it.

My original intention was to drill some holes and bolt it on using a Brian Bass inspired raccoon/panda bear face brace/spacer to clear the bead rolls in the firewall. Not so fast Grasshopper. It turns out the firewall is not as flat as it seems and there was a lot of flex in the sheet metal. Not good.

My solution was a box or pan shaped mounting surface made out of 12 gauge sheet steel. Heavy stuff. Fortunately my friend Barry Miles has a ten foot wide hydraulic bending press that he uses to make stainless steel tanks for agricultural purposes. My little box was nothing for it. I did have to make a short extension out of angle iron and rectangular tubing to make the inside bends.

The raccoon face was welded to the pan and the pan was scribed to the firewall. It was then drawn up tight using bolts and TIG welded in place. After welding the firewall behind the pan was cut away and the pedals and master cylinder were bolted up.

I did not want to add a lot of bulk to the firewall. However, with the master cylinder in place it looks functional. With matching paint it should all blend in.

My coupe is a late 31 with the deep teardrop indentation in the passenger's side. For balance, I am thinking about adding a similar pan on the right side to cover the teardrop and provide a mounting surface for the coil and fuel block. What do you think?

Attached Files:

2. B-Ray

B-Ray

3. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

4. Dirty2

Dirty2

5. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Sir, I would say that that was a very clean and simple install. It looks great to me. Do you have abuild thread on your "A" ?

6. No all encompassing thread. They tend to get social. When I do something I start a topic specific thread. That way things stay focused.

You can search the threads I have started if you are interested in seeing more of my work.

I also post my pictures on Flickr. The link is in my signature block below. For all my Model A pictures open the "My Hot Rods" group and then open the "Project 59" set.

I am very fortunate to have many talented friends in the car hobby. Without them, their help, and their support I would be a bumbler.

7. Fogger

Fogger

Good choice buying Lucky's setup, a very much improved version of the original. The firewall pan is a great idea and will certainly give you the necessary solid mount. Good luck finishing the project.

8. Irrational Metalworks

Irrational Metalworks
    Alliance Vendor
    from DFW

Cool. That was a great idea. Nice job Steve!

9. Lucky's Speed Shop

Lucky's Speed Shop
    Alliance Vendor

10. Burny

Burny

Thanks for posting. I'll be installing one of these setups soon in my '37...

11. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

very clean job...