Register now to get rid of these ads!

pullmax or lazze bead roller?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nightperson, Mar 16, 2010.

1. nightperson

nightperson

i just took the lazze step 1 class and i am very happy with how his bead roller performs but it does have its limitations- depth of the bead into the sheet is one along with the thickness of the metal it can bead

his comes with 10 dyes and then each additional dye set runs 75-150 depending on the configuration

i found a P9 for a cheaper price and it has several dyes with it so i would not have to buy his "deep shrinker" either

my only thing with it is making new dyes- how do you do yours? can i just get 1" and then cut it with a band saw or plasma cutter or does it have to be laser cut it water jetted?

in the end i would like to produce car body's like he teaches in his classes so a 30's fords

does anyone have both machines? which do you use more?

what are the disadvantages to the pullmax?

2. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Simple - BOTH!!!

I think this is a bit of an apples and oranges comparison. I've got a P9 - they're BIG and HEAVY - still a rockin' machine!

3. inkmunky

inkmunky

buy the beadroller.... then let me know where to pick up the P9 :D

4. redo32

redo32

Disadvantages--- big & heavy, 3 ph 2 sp motor. If you've got the room & can deal with the power and it's reasonable priced, it's hard to beat. That's why they call Pullmax's a universal machine. With the proper dies it can planish, cut, form, shape, shrink, everything but weld the pieces together. There is tons of information on Metalmeet & Metalshapers web sites. Ebay has lots of tooling & info also available. I think the P9 weighs about 4000 lbs.

5. marioD

marioD

Get the pullmax!

never want to live without one again.

tooling is so easy to make, theres a dvd from a guy named stolarsky
    showing how to do it or search the metalmeet forums or allmetalshaping.com.

Mario

6. 117harv

117harv

I have a friend who had some dies for his pullmax water jetted out of some 1 1/4 chromemoly plate, then detailed them to his own specs. I have helped him use them and they work great, and the moly will make them last longer.

7. pullmax now beadroller later

johnny

8. JustplainJ

JustplainJ
    from so.cal.

9. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

IIRC they're a tad OVER 4000 lbs. That's less than a dollar a pound!!!!

10. nightperson

nightperson

thanks for posting that?- not able to look @ it until next week, but yes thats it

still undecided- i have used a p7 a little- i don't want too much of a learning curve if i get this- i may opt for the bead roller and hope i can find a pullmax down the road

11. I would have to agree with everyone here and say go for the pullmax. Last summer a friend of mine had no where to put his pullmax so he brought it over to my shop.
    I used it almost everyday for the 8 months it was here and then in February he came and picked it up to take it to the shop he is working at now.
    Now I'm like a kid who lost his puppy, I miss that thing more than ever.
    If anyone knows anyone who is selling one for a reasonable price and within 1000 miles of Edmonton let me know!! haha

12. mikeyfrombc

mikeyfrombc

there's ton of resources on the .net to build your own and have both machines for far less then the price of the bead roller from Lazzes that's what i,m doing i bought plans to build a pullmax and found drawings to build the beadroller

13. nightperson

nightperson

purchased the pullmax today but can't pick it up few a few weeks. purchased the 2 dvd's on how to make tooling

the problem to me with the bead roller are the dyes. i don't have a lathe and the machine shops that have quoted me to make dyes are expensive. the lazze roller has 36 pair available, comes with the book(which you can buy for 180) that has the combos and the profile they make plus its adjustable. after using it 3 days in class i must say i think its worth the money yet i wish it was deeper.

i stumbled across the pullmax on a crazedlist search when i was bored- never even considered one b/c of the cost, this being less then the roller and the ability to make my own tooling not to mention all of the bias on here i think i made the right decision.

14. SKOTY CHOPS KUSTOMS

SKOTY CHOPS KUSTOMS
    from BAY AREA

I love my pullmax, i have a p13

15. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

16. heatnbeat

heatnbeat
    from Madera,Ca.

Great choice! I have a P9. you can make dies from steel, aluminum, delrin, uhmw,and even wood. make them with band saw, grinder, drill press, torch
    what ever you have handy! BTW the DVD's are very informative!

17. mikeyfrombc

mikeyfrombc

who offers the DVD's

18. heatnbeat

heatnbeat
    from Madera,Ca.

19. JustplainJ

JustplainJ
    from so.cal.

Kevin, yea I posted it for a reason! never,never,never go on a public forum and post a pullmax that you maybe able to buy unless you have already bought it... took all of 2 mins. too find it on google.
    if I lived closer I would have bought it... I have owned almost every piece on metal shaping equipment out there and these things are getting harder to find..
    I would never go on a public forum and advertise a piece of equipment until it was mine.
    hey I'm thinking of buying a 32 3 window I live in orange county what do you guys think! now one in there right mind would post something like that before they bought it....
    OK I may sound like an asshole but please take this as a lesson.
    don't post your intentions on a public forum you will loose your deal every time.

20. adbuch

adbuch
    from Tucson

You guys may be interested in the P-Max "Pullmax Style" Reciprocating Power Hammer. This machine uses the same 3/4" square tooling as the P-21 and some of the other models. I designed and built the P-Max several years ago. I do offer plans and will soon have kits available. Here is the youtube link to see it in operation.

http://www.youtube.com/user/deserthybridsaz#p/u/5/H1xPPl5p0dA

You can build the P-Max from scratch for around $700 in parts/materials cost.

Thanks,
    David

www.deserthybrids.com