Register now to get rid of these ads!

Metalflake Paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MercDeuceMan, Mar 14, 2010.

1. How far back do metalflake paint jobs date?

Anyone know who did the first one, and when?

2. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

How do you define "metalflake", the bass boat sized flake, or any finish containing ground metal for a glamor finish?

" Do Not Reach Greedily For The Kool-Aid "

3. Seems like I saw them in magazines as far back as 1963.I think it was a Barris car.

4. Muttley

Muttley

5. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

I believe that there was an article in one of the west coast magazines which announced the new product. And it seems to me that the test paint job they featured was on Dick Scritchfield's very well known hiboy deuce roadster (which seemed strange, considering the car's classic lowkey styling). Around '61, I think.

6. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

..............I say 1939!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Wizzard of OZ.........that witch's "Ruby Red Slippers" Those things had bling and snap before there was bling and snap!

" Beware The Irrational , However Seductive"

7. Took me a while to find it...remember, this doesn't include the practice of Kandy over Metallic base. I think that has been around since Kandy paint.

Nov. 1960

[​IMG]

May 1961

[​IMG]

8. The reason I asked is I read where there was a survivor roadster in the Boston show that still had it's original paint and was painted gold metalflake in 1958.
    Cool old car, just sounded pretty early for a metalflake paint job

Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  9. Well before official "Metalflake" guys would use Gold, Silver, and Copper foil(?) flakes but word on the street is that they tarnished. Don't know for sure but there had to be demand before supply. Can't fill a hole that isn't dug, you know?

10. Any pics of the car?

11. Early Metalflake show car. Sorry but some of our magazines are shot.

June 1961

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Chevrolet offered mettallic paint on their cars and the earliest I've seen is 1937. Now, keep in mind that these are not the big heavy flakes you see on show cars of the 60s but they were metallic. These would be listed on the color charts as "Poly" along with the name of the color.

13. Nicholson

Nicholson

Call me crazy but I'm going to say as early as 1929. I just did the body and paint restoration on a 1929 Rolls Royce that was given to Marlene Dietrich by movie producer Josef von Sternberg. The car was forest green with gold flake.

It's not a metallic color because the gold flake is not in the green but sprayed over the top of the green. The original flake is fairly large rectangle.

It's not a "bass boat" flake job but there's enough flake on it to bling in the sun.

I'll post some better pictures when I get back to the shop.

The first two pictures are of the original color that was uncovered when the cowl molding was removed.

11-1-08 016 (Large).jpg 11-1-08 017 (Large).jpg
    1929 Rolls Royce Hibbard & Darrin Marlene Dietrich (Medium).JPG 01-27-09 031.jpg

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  14. historynw

historynw

I'm trying to duplicate a 1947 Chevy Dtizkler/PPG color which had aluminum powder in it. The PPG distributor came back with a mix that used a shot of pearl in it. We painted one panel and its been rubbed out in the shop light its nice. I hope the sun comes out shortly. The downside is that it costs $110.00 per pint. They were going to try matching with a lower end paint to save some money...I'm humoring them. They tell me that more coats would be necessary vs what they already made. I brought in the original chart and code numbers and yes as far back as 1937 they had some colors with the aluminum in it. A car museum employee they have a few cars done the same way, the color does catch your eye. I don't know the reason why they don't use aluminum.

15. noboD

noboD

The AACA rule book says the first use of metalic paint was Nov. 1, 1929.