Register now to get rid of these ads!

What car would you resist the temptation to modify?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by adjustablejohnsons, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Munstergarage

Munstergarage
    from Visalia ca

In my opinion the '56 Victoria is another car that if you modify at all, you just mess it up.

Another one that you just DO NOT mess with the body lines on would be a '39-'40 ford coupe. Henry got the proportions right to begin with. Convert it to what ever engine /trans and stance you desire but dont you dare take a half an inch from anywhere off that beautiful bulbous body! You can chop a C-dan but the coupe is perfect.

Capiche?!!

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cars like the 3 window that Mazooma posted in post 8 should be left alone and preserved as is.

As someone else mentioned on here, we seem to see a trend lately where some guys are taking damned nice 100% complete stock or restored cars and hacking them up and actually making somewhat worthless messes of them in the name of building their own cars when they could just as well done the same thing with someone's former parts car.

Now days cars like the Corvettes in post 20 are best left stock unless you happen to find one that already has been changed anyhow. Leave the numbers matching cars alone and all bets are off on the ones that are on their third or fourth engine that didn't come with the chassis.
    Otherwise complete 100 percent original cars with a significant heritage probably should be left alone and go hunt for the one that already isn't all original to modify.

The Buick Skylark ragtop mentioned earlier would be at the top of the don't touch list along with the early Chrslyer 300 letter cars and others that were pretty well special editions when they came out.

3. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

anything made by AMC.

4. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I don't agree! :)

[​IMG]

...and yes, it's a '56.

5. Munstergarage

Munstergarage
    from Visalia ca

Every rule has it's exceptions. This car is very mildly modified.

6. il Revrunde

il Revrunde

36 Ford 5W for sure. Aside of the fact that I'd die if I ever found one in great shape and unmolested, and in turn, could afford it. And of course, 38-41 Willys coupes, should there be any left that aren't gassed or glassed.

7. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

JOHNSON...any 40 year old hoopy that's bone stock, and in 1st. class shape. I have actually gotten sick here when i see someone cutup 1 of those cars and truck's. it reminds me of a saying here on h.a.m.b. ( just because you can--doesn't mean you should ) and i don't mean any ill feeling's towards anyone...POP.

8. well for me there are quite a few but as was posted i alsodont concider wheels modifing or even changeing engines / trans 's and i dont concider changing things on anything that can be unbolted ie hoods , trunklids, doors. etc

but any who my list is
    61 starliner or any 61-64 galaxies
    58 edsel (id love to have one)
    any corvette
    55-57 thunderbird
    70 superbird (my ultimate dream car)

9. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

not sure if your jokin or not but...:D
    i agree! i have a 70 amx that my dad had bought new...i hope to have it completely restored for my son one day....but i might mode it just a lil!:D;)

10. nail-head

nail-head

First generation Rivieras.

I'd modify the drivetrain, I already have, but the body style is perfect just the way it is...maybe shave the door handles, but that's the most I'd do.

11. 4woody

4woody

To look at from a slightly different angle: one reason I bought my '38 was that the P.O. had already modified it and f'd it up.

If it had been a pristine original I wouldn't have had the heart or wanted to take the karmic hit by modifying it.

As messed up as it was, everything I've done has only made it better.

12. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I have to disagree again. While it's certainly not a radical custom, every panel and piece of trim on the car (except the roof) has been modified or replaced with a part from a different make or model. My intention was to improve my '56 Victoria, and I consider it a success.

13. Deathtrap Kustoms

Deathtrap Kustoms

1963, 64, 65 Riviera, I think Buick did a nice custom job right out of da box!

14. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A stock steel 1940 willys coupe.

15. xafalcongs

xafalcongs

Dude, I've thought and thought and I can't think of any car that I couldn't find something I thought needed change.

16. Munstergarage

Munstergarage
    from Visalia ca

Well 50fraud, I would have to agree with you that you have successfully improved the appearance of your Vic. I love kustom cars where the mods are so subtle that you have to study the car to see what's been done. Your's is a perfect example.

That being said , I still think that by and large these cars are handsomest when they are left alone. I would never attempt to customize one as I know that I would never be able to execute it as nicely as you have.

Remember, Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I prefer my women to be small and curvy, but some guys out there like great big fat women.

Who's to judge?

17. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Thanks. I like small and curvy, too!

18. Dirtroad

Dirtroad
    Member Emeritus

I agree 100%. That 56 is the nicest I've seen. Tastefully done 50Fraud. I have always been a fan of 55/56 Fords.
    I truly belive that its not right to butcher a classic, But changes (done right) will enhance the lines. JMO:p

19. JAWS

JAWS

The new ZR1. Why would you need more horses than 637?

20. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Anything that has historical significance. Here is a good example.
    Add...
    1942 Chevrolet project Truck $2000
    I called and the conversation went like this.
    Tell me about the truck.
    Seller:" Its rolling and in primer.
    I've had the truck a couple of years. It was running and driving when I got it with the original six. It had no rust and the guy I got it from said it came out of California. We wanted something we could drive on the highway so we decided to make it a rod.
    It has been sandblasted and it's in primer. Interesting thing though, The whole truck was painted, no chrome at all. When we blasted it we went through several layers of paint. Then we hit chrome on the bumpers, grille and headlight rings. Since we had blasted through the chrome we continued to blast it off and the whole truck. As we blasted the layers of paint off we hit OD green. You know there were numbers on the hood and a big white star on the door. We blasted all that stuff off."
    me: "Do you still have the original engine and transmission?"
    seller; "No we scrapped that stuff along with the rear axle and the front half of the frame, we had a 72 Camaro front clip welded in. That front end needs building though and we have not fit the front sheet metal."
    me; "You mean to tell me you cut that truck up after finding all that?"
    seller;" uh... yeah."
    me; "I'm not interested. Thanks"
    A rare 1942 half ton was turned over to the US Army due to the early war shortage of vehicles. Trucks like these were used stateside to train the short handed troops. There are pictures of army trucks and sedans like this with TANK painted on the side because there were too few tanks available for training in 1942.
    To survive 50 plus years, and an army career only to be cut up buy some redneck.
    WTF

21. dirt slinger

dirt slinger

I would have to say, like many of youall, depends on the condition of the car. I always liked the original 49 &50 Fords. Theres an all original 35 Ford 5w coupe rumble seat car not far from my house thats all original.I been trying to buy it for about a year. Iknow it hasnt moved in 15 yrs. and was restored in early 80's. I would get it running, do the brakes, and tidy it up. I would love to drive around an original 35 Ford!!!!!!!!

22. kdtjb

kdtjb
    from Idaho

1953 Buick Skylarks,

Attached Files:

23. That's why these two have New Caretakers... I like to find an old racer that I wouldn't feel bad modifying the heck out of it!;)

24. havi

havi

Anything restorable, gets restored. Anything not restorable, gets hot-rodded. Simple as that. History can't be repeated from 90-45 years ago.

oh, and +2 on AMC

25. I'd have to agree...my wife's uncle has a stock '40 & a '41 that they say will be coming my way since I'm the only car guy in the family...we'll see about that. also the '36 Ford coupe I couldn't mess with perfection.

26. Tank

Tank

My dad has several restored Model "A"s. It would break my heart to see any of them cut up into Hot Rods. Also an Original Deuce 3window, or a 5window for that matter. I gotta agree with several others also, about any car that surpasses that certain level of originality and just plain niceness. Leave em alone, theres enough stuff out there that deserves to be cut up and made into hot rods!

27. Tank

Tank

Spot on what I was trying to say, you said it better!

28. helmsville

helmsville

the 1937 Zephyr is perfect no mod's needed!

Attached Files:

29. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

Our 1941 Packard restorod, kept the body original but new running gear, 350zz4. 7004r, 10 bolt trans Am, corvett front clip, with air bags, Air and all power. great crusing and a fun car.

Attached Files:

30. belair

belair

40 Ford can't be improved upon.