Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Free drag car big block ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldskooljc, Mar 10, 2010.

1. oldskooljc

oldskooljc
    from Fresno CA.

Ok guys hear is the deal i just got a free drag car. Well not realley this guy owes me some money. He made a bet on when i would get my money he lost. Insted of giving me his race car trailer he is giving me a 1961 ford starliner drag car. Car was built in the late 70s raced till 1988. Every thing there except the 429 or 460 motor. headers, trans- 4500 converter, 9 inch, center line wheels, tires but there bad. Kind of looks like an old gasser, but no stright axle. Oh if you think i am bad for taking this he owes me a lot of money. Kind of like he said today take it for the intrest. Ok back to bussiness what do you guys think it would be worth. i will post pictures asap. And if i wanted to play with it any ideas. Dont want to put a lot of cash out but want to hold my head up when i get out. Any you ford guys know how to build one of these on a budget with a heavy car and what kind of time could i expect 1/4 i am old draig racer thanks jim OK GUYS HERE ARE THE PICTURES SORRY TOOK SO LONG Jim

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  2. Oh no! Not another "what is it worth" thread!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!
    Seriously, post some pics. I wanna see this thing.

3. A picture is worth a 1000 words, can't wait to see it.

4. torchmann

torchmann
    BANNED
    from Omaha, Ne

500 bucks...
    when you have it done and look back at all the money you spent on it and how much of the "hi-dolla" shine and dandy that caught your eye that had to be redone reworked or replaced to get it just right you'll know you have about 500 bucks worth of the original deal and you'll have tossed or sold off the rest.
    don't need any pics, it doesn't even matter what kind of car it is soon as you start in on it any value it originally had disappears in the new work...

5. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

1961 Starliner, where this this car would really shine would be to fix up like the A/FX super stockers of the early 60s, 390 six pack FE with a large spline Nascar top loader 4 speed. With plain steel rims and black walls I'd be proud to drive it on the street.
    Now if the car has been hacked up red neck lets go race style like the dash removed and other "performance" mods that destroy the integrity and originality of the car, the value is very limited.

6. ardyboy

ardyboy

what they said

Attached Files:

7. superbeeme

superbeeme
    from georgia

try this

Attached Files:

8. oldskooljc

oldskooljc
    from Fresno CA.

Not hacked up. And iam not a ford guy but this this car has peaked my intrest. Pictures as soon as i get it on the trailer. F-one i like your idea 390 mabe 406 thanks jim

9. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

If you want to race it for fun, a 460 out of a motorhome or big van is pretty cheap. Newer ones are EFI, older ones run a carb.

If it was me I'd put in a more sedate converter and a fairly stock motor and run it on the street or as a bracket racer a time or two, just to see what you have. But I like to drive things ASAP so that's the quick way of going down the road.

10. i love 61 starliners probably my all time favorite body (car wise:D) i cant wait to see pics

11. I think a 61 Starliner would be worth more as a fairly stock resto-rod.They are not very common.But unless you really want to keep it as your car,you will just throw good money away working on it.If you aren't going to finish it for yourself,sell it before you put more in it that you won't get back.

12. Torque-Tube

Torque-Tube

While we're waiting for the pictures on this I hope ya'll can excuse me for going off on a bit of a tangent here.

A neighbor has a motorhome with a carb'd 460 in it that has about 60thou. miles and I've been thinking of making him an offer for it. What do you think would be a fair price for it. I don't want to insult him or overpay either.

13. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

JC: I usta do "collections" and you are much kinder than I've seen.
    Tourque; does he want it outta his yard? gas is not gonna be reasonable for those anymore. I have a 85 36' sun stream with a 454. The motor was replaced 7k miles ago by the previous owner and I would have a hard time losing it for less than $4k

14. WHAT IS THIS!?!? Pay him whatever the hell you want to pay him! 1). Don't jack a thread. 2). Do some research and figure out what YOU think it's worth.

These "what do you think it's worth" threads are getting old...quick. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks it worth, pay him what YOU think is fair! If he doesn't like it then it's up to YOU to decide if you want to pay more!

15. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

The Starliner is a beautiful car IMO. Might be better to turn it back into a street car? I am looking forward to seeing the pictures.

16. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

Nothing is more expensive then a free car or motorcycle. Thats said Id take it, I love them cars. I guess it depends on what the car looks like, what he owes you and what the odds are he will ever pay you back without the car. A pistol in the mouth is excellent motivation for non payers also but I never said that. You cant tell much from pictures

17. Shovelheadsporty

Shovelheadsporty
    from Paris, TX

Look at my profile to see a pic of my '61 Starliner tube chassis drag car. I'm not a Ford guy either (it's powerd by a sbc on alcohol), but this car gets looks and is like none other! I love it!

18. oldskooljc

oldskooljc
    from Fresno CA.

ttt I have been told this is a 1960. learn somthing new everyday. pictures are in what do you think. thanks jim

Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  19. James427

James427
    BANNED

That's a 1960, not a 61. I think they are more beautiful and more valuable too. The headlight buckets are the same ones used in 1967 Shelby GT-500 and are worth about $300 by themselves. Cool car.

20. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

i love the styling, but not the mods. I would build a Nostalgia Super Stock car, but that will cost another $25-30k. I figure it may be worth $4-5k as a roller.

21. A 1960 is one of the biggest,heaviest and in my opinion,ugliest cars Ford made.You won't make it run very fast on a strip without a lot of engine.If you don't just love it,I would sell it to a restorer if it were me.

22. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

i love it and it is deffinately a 60 shame on you ford guys i think they are like 37 fords so ugly u love em

23. 32Essex

32Essex
    from Texas

Well at least you know it's worth $300 bucks ! Shit man, build something out of it and have some fun.

24. raven

raven

Put a souped up 460 in it and have some fun.
    r

25. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

Remember this Starliner? How about this one?

Attached Files:

26. oldskooljc

oldskooljc
    from Fresno CA.

on last time anyone got any thing to add thanks jim

27. 2NDCHANCE

2NDCHANCE

Loose the hood scoop. Tear drop scoop or something vintage. Loose the Centerlines. Steelies or vintage slot's. Use the engine and tranny of your choice. And have a blast. Looks like somebody did a nice job on the rear fenders. Cool car anyway you look at it. Remember there is something cool about "a Ford in a Ford". But I'm the last guy to be critical. Just thinking out loud. Gary