Register now to get rid of these ads!

oldsmobile guys please help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by superstockcatalina, Mar 9, 2010.

1. im working on a car for a friend of mine, its his daily driver, but he wants to bag the car or at least while funds are low just cut the coils. its a 1950 olds 88 four door, and has an odd rear suspension. anyone cot info on dropping one of these? the coils in the back are smaller at both ends and bolt in, no chance of cutting, thought maybe heating them. input is greatly needed! thanks

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Heating them will drop the car, but it will ruin the ride. You could have new coils wound with a shorter length......but that will cost some amount of money, less than bags, but more than heating. Easy, Cheap, Properly Done.........you might get two, but you can't get all three!

Ray

3. so bags and a triangulated four link....

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I'm not mistaken the suspension that is under the Olds will work pretty well with bags. I think it has some pretty serious control arms on it if I remember right.

5. yes it does, i wasnt sure if it would bind up or not, it has one shock and two long ladder bars and a panhard bar off the pumpkin and a sway bar...so i guess just weld on buckets and bolt in some bags huh?

6. VonWegener

VonWegener

Just heat the coils so that they can fold inside each other. That's what we did on my old Riviera and the ride was great. All it cost was a little gas and some time. You can always do the whole street rod mumbo jumbo later.......

7. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

sell that Olds to me and find something else to lower.

8. I can't visual the fold inside part for some reason? curious.. please explain

9. hotrod32@usfamily.net

[email protected]
    from st paul

just cut them and rebend em with heat on the ends ........we been doin it for years I,m sure you mean the spring retainers, right on the ends just let em cool slow ...kid stuff