Register now to get rid of these ads!

Inline w/Split Exhaust, "tuning" the sound, effects of different size/length pipe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by terd ferguson, Feb 4, 2010.

1. CrkInsp

CrkInsp
    from B.A. OK

Thanks HEATHEN, I was beginning to think my eyes were going bad.

2. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

3. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Well, let's see......if you insert a divider plate on either side of the two center ports, and then bore a hole in both of the two end ports and weld a connecting tube between the holes, and then.......

4. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

In high school I had a 53 BelAir Hdtp with a 235. A local guy split the manifold 4 and 2? Used some shorty glasspacks and brought them out the back. Don't ask me why, but it was the wildest sounding ride with a resonance that would rattle the plate glass windows in my little town. He said that was the way he always did them. That was 50 years ago. What do I know?

5. <object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fijaeDCmDGc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fijaeDCmDGc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

6. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Jesus Christ, no one listens to me.........

7. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Heathen, your right. My memory is a little short about what went down, but for some reason that's what sticks in my mind. Hell I don't know, maybe he blocked them off 3and 3. I'm dam lucky to remember what day it was/is? All I know is it really pissed my ole man off everytime I fired it up and I couldn't sneak home late.

8. MistGreen50

MistGreen50
    from Belen,NM

there is no possible way to block a stock 216/235/261 4 and 2

9. 6inarow

6inarow

10. Milhouse

Milhouse
    from RI

Couldn't you make your own manifold that connected the two end ports and then the two middle ports? or one middle port and the remaining ports? I've never done this nor do I know what the effects or best combination would be, but I still think it's possible to split it 4-2.

11. MistGreen50

MistGreen50
    from Belen,NM

please explain

12. MistGreen50

MistGreen50
    from Belen,NM

13. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Yeah, I'd kinda like to know too. I'm sure there's probably a way to do it, but I can't wrap my brain around how. 6inarow is a smart guy, if he says he can do it he probably can.

14. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Don't kow how they did it but the big Austin Healy 3000's are just about the best sounding straight 6 as there ever was.

15. BabbitBeater

BabbitBeater
    from Colorado

Was the corvette 235 exaust manifold actually split? Or was it just a long manifold with two outlets?

I had a 49 Chev Truck runnin a '55 235 with Fentons, 18" glass packs, 2 1/4" pipes all the way out the back with turn down tips... When I shifted from second to third they could kick in the doors on a Prius. I got a several warnings for "noise ordinance violations" so I went to 26" packs to tame it a little...

Why would anyone want their 6 cyl to sound like an 8?

16. 8Flatliner6

8Flatliner6

are there any words to describe the sounds of a split 6 exhaust?

...awesome!

17. Unibodyguy

Unibodyguy

My Dad had bought a shop that had a old pipe bender in it and taught me a few things. It was kind of a learn as you go thing and if I screwed it up just bend another one!! I know a couple of things we used to do were to build the pipe straight back from the motor quite a ways and run the car for a while and see where the "hot" part of the pipe ended and was cooler. You could tell by the color of the new pipe. Anyway we'd then place the glasspack or what ever just ahead of the cold part. It would usually sound the best at that point, and then run the tail pipe from there back. Tapering it down a 1/4"-1/2" or so would make it crackle pretty good. The other thing was if we had any spiral pipe laying around (scarce) and make the tailpipe out of that. It would definetly have a unique sound also. I used to get the spiral from J.C. Whitney. Shorter mufflers are much louder than longer and a crossover or balance tube will make a lot quieter. Brockmans or Porters would be the only 2, I would use nowadays. Smittys would be my 3rd choice. And also very important!! make sure both mufflers are going the same direction! Otherwise you will have a mis-matched sound.

Michael

18. MarkKoch

MarkKoch
    from Maryland

thats pretty cool,I dont think you could put much effert in tuning an exhaust than this,....wish I could weld and have access to a real pipe bender,Reminds me of the tuning of a trumpet

19. 6inarow

6inarow

I was just kiddin ya - it cant be done.

20. hotdamn

hotdamn

i gotta say out of the couple of stovebolts I have split the best sounding one to me wasone I did for a babbited 216,

added an extra dump in the back, put a divider plate in the middle with a 3/8 hole in it and ran 1 3/4" straight pipes all the way out the back and she sounded damn sweet!

currently I have fentons with 1 3/4 straight pipes out the back and I think it is close to being too loud.

maybe that big cam and bumped compression have something to do with that too?

just not that impressed with them given their cost.

dont get me wrong nice headers but for that kinda bread I think they should be a litttle more user friendly

also I really dont dig the fact that they dump at different angles???

wtf?

oh and one has a donut gasket and one is flat???

I paid how much for what?

21. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

But, but, but...they're traditional! Doesn't that make up for the shortcomings? :D

22. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

The reason for the different exit angles and one donut and one flat gasket is that Aaron Fenton designed them so that the rear header would bolt up to the stock exhaust system, leaving only one half of the dual exhaust system to have to be fabricated. The earliest Fenton headers (I have a set, and they have never been reproduced) both exited straight down, because the stock 1937-48 Chevy exhaust manifold exited straight down. Starting in 1949, the stock manifold exited on a rearward angle, so the rear header was recast to do the same, and that is the style that Pat Dykes chose to reproduce.

23. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

The Corvette exhaust manifold is a true split; there is a divider cast inside the manifold between the two outlets.

24. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

We used to run steel packs, 1 on right, 1 on backwards. It raps going up and coming down in RPM that way

25. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

If you're asking if it's split inside, Heathen covered it. If you're asking if it's a one piece or a two piece, it's a one piece. ;)

***EDITED TO ADD***

Here's a killer picture from a '55 Hot Rod article called "Soup That Chevy!" about dyno testing parts for a 261. Check out the way the rear outlets flow together. I'm probably like a lot of you guys, they're kind of rare and expensive so I've never really seen one up close to really examine it...

[​IMG]

The article is awesome. I go back and read it at least once a week, lol. Awesome reference material with real world results for hopping up your stovebolt! You can read it here...
    http://www.selectric.org/55chevy/soup.html

And I'm pretty sure that's squirrel's site. I'd just like to say thanks again for the quality people squirrel is and thanks for all the really good info he shares with all of us!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  26. The_Monster

The_Monster

I know this thread is kinda old, but this forum is about learning, right? So, heres some video of my 235 inline '53 belair. First one is powerglide, 6 volt, steel split header, 20" glasspacks and 1-1/2" pipe, up over rear axle.

Second one here is 12 volt conversion and a 3 speed conversion. No change on the exhaust. Even tho the car was running like crap, notice the difference

Last one is straight 1-1/2" pipes, no mufflers

Im in the process of messing around with my pipes again to try new and different sounds. I have some cool ideas, and I'll start anew thread on all my findings. Later!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  27. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

thanks for posting those,for the last one it sounds to much like the imports that go past my house.

28. Ramblur

Ramblur

The Hornet motor in my 49 Hudson has a split header,2.25" duals and 17" glasspacks all the way at the rear and side by side. Maybe not the best choices but there is very little room under a 'stepdown' chassis for pipes/mufflers. The fuel tank hangs low and offset to the drivers side,
    hence the side by side exit. Putting a new engine together right now but
    I'll try and remember to come back with a sound clip.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. sunbeam

sunbeam

Mufflers as far forward as you can get and long tail pipes. Listen to a school buss somtime with about 20 feet of tailpipe.

30. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

We used to run steel paks with one on forward and one on backward so you get the rap going up & down. Oiling them inside makes them burn out and really loud. Socially acceptable, I doubt it . What was cool at 16 might not be near as cool at 67 though