Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rockstars, help with 49-54 brake conv.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Derwood, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Derwood

Derwood

I've done some searching on this, but not finding the answers I need. I'm installing disc /drum upgrade on my 52, using disc kit from chevs of the 40's and under floor MC pedal assem from TCI which sits backwards when mounted. My question is which resivoir is for front and which is back. one closest to power booster has bigger outlet for brake line (but not much bigger). also is there any thing I need to do with fluid lines because MC is under floor, lower than calipers and wheel cyl. ? I have bench bled MC, everything is brand new, lines and all.

2. Derwood

Derwood

bttt, man, 3 pages deep in an hour.

3. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

Think of it as if mounted ot the firewall, the rear res. near the booster is for the back, the other is for the front. Bench bleed the M/C, and don't forget the check valves in line...2# for disc, 10# for drums.

4. Wrong, the rear part "the part that bolts to your booster or mount" is for the front brakes, think of it as when you push the pedal the front brakes apply first. the free end is for the rear. So when you mount the master cylinder in reverse in the car ,now the lines to the rear now go to the rear. And the lines in the front now go to the front.

5. ECIGUY

ECIGUY

If it is the standard Corvette style casting with two bails holding the cover on, the fitting closest to the mounting flange feeds the REAR brakes. If it is anything else the BIG RESERVOIR feeds the front brakes, and, if you take the cover off the Corvette cylinder. you will notice the fronr reservoir is larger.

6. Derwood

Derwood

OK which is it, is the front resivoir for the front brakes or the rear,I've gotten two different answers. It does have two bails holding the cover on, don't know if it is corvette style or not but front res. looks larger, but has smaller brake line fitting.

7. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

larger reservoir is for discs, usually closer to the mounting ears. Corvette's used a different style being 4 wheel disc so the "front" reservoir goes to the front. My corvette master seems to do the job of the in line residual pressure valves just fine.

8. Chris 50

Chris 50

I'm not sure on which resevoir feeds which in your case, but having the MC mounted down low does mean that you need the residual pressure valves inline like 'ol chevy mentioned.
    I believe they should be as close to the MC as you can get them.

9. Yep. That's the long and short of it. The larger reservoir goes to the disc brakes. Calipers need more fluid to expand than drum brake wheel cylinders.

If you are under-floor, you are supposed to use a residual pressure valve that keeps fluid from gravity-draining back to your master cylinder, which is lower than your wheel cylinders. You will encounter a range of opinions on whether or not they are necessary. Some master cylinders have them built in. Some say that they are unnecessary because the master cylinders are sealed, so how could the fluid drain out. It's up to you to figure that out. I chose to use them.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  10. Knucklehead29

Knucklehead29

When I got a new booster and MC, I also thought the rear reservoir went to the rear, and the front went to the front. Wrong. I hooked it all up and went for a test ride, and kept locking the rear tires up every time I brakes. Was pretty fun actually for a bit, till I had to reverse the lines. LOL ;)

11. Derwood

Derwood

Knucklehead, so exactly how are your lines hooked up? does the front line connect to the fitting closest to the power booster. I called Total Cost Involved where I bought it and tech told me on my application the one near the booster was front brakes and one towards rear was rear brakes. My car is just a rolling chassis now so cant test drive.

12. Knucklehead29

Knucklehead29

Derwood,

What the guy at TCI told you is correct. That's the way mine is plumbed now. The fitting closest to the booster (or firewall) is the front line.

13. Derwood

Derwood

Exellent info everyone, brakes are now fully plumbed and functional. I've got a crapload of pictures I need to get posted on the build. later.