Register now to get rid of these ads!

To R. R.ish?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kramer, Mar 8, 2010.

1. rottenrod

rottenrod

Maybe someone could photoshop it to get a better idea (I dont have photoshop or I would)

2. ...........CHROME IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! bE A CHAINER

3. trad27

trad27

Sums it all up for me. but it tis your car, what ever you like

4. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

As already stated, doesn't look anything like Rolls Royce or Range Rover, but if it were a Rat Rod, you'd have hit it right on the head. I really do not think it would look good, unless you are looking for a Rat Rod/Odd Rod type of grille...and even then I don't think it would look good.

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

How did you determine that half the area for airflow is sufficient to cool properly.........seems to me that is very arbitrary...........not enough known about specifics to validate that assertion, IMO.........

oh, sufficient cooling or not, not to my taste.........but it's not my car.

Ray

6. hotrod56cars

hotrod56cars

I don't like it, unless your a Chargers fan.

7. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I like it!

8. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

I think the pattern would look better with the Z's horizontal instead of vertical - but that's just me.

9. bigbubba

bigbubba

Hey they use that stuff for the coil gaurd on outdoor A/C and heatpump units,I know cause thats what i do for a living lightning bolt jackets is what we call them. We have a HUGE press that punches them out .We also have a jacket the has hundreds of louvers punched in it,I have thought about getting some scrap ones and grating them into my hood and tailgate(the louvered ones)

10. davis574ord

davis574ord

It will look good painted not chromed definetly different!

11. claymore

claymore
    BANNED

looks like the "ZZ TOP" logo and it looks better on Billy's coupe side panel than in a radiator shell.

12. Muttley

Muttley

Uhh...............no.

13. duste01

duste01

laser or plasma?

14. HOT ROD BILL

HOT ROD BILL

"Power Rangers" theme?

15. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

16. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Were they out of Iron Cross patterned perforated sheet?

17. slik

slik

Ok, here goes...
    I personally don't care for it, but if you were to do it, I would rotate the zz's almost vertical and see how that looks. more like a waterfall type thing.
    or another idea (but much more work) would be to rotate the grille to just shy of vertical, say about 15 degrees off of vertical, cut it in half and weld them together to get the zz's running from the lower center towards the outer-upper corner.
    but that is just me.

18. It looks like something you find in the accessory aisle of a truck stop. .....

19. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

Yes, you are correct. It looks too R@t rod.

20. <FANG>

<FANG>
    from W.L.A.

My first impression upon seeing this pattern
    You&#8217;re considering was WW2 Germany
    "Sieg Heil"

21. Kramer

Kramer

Sorry guys. I really do not intend on using it. Just seeing if I could ruffle a few feathers. I do like the pattern but not for this car.

I thought that same SS thing when I saw it. Maybe if I were ever to build a car with a WWII German theme.

No problem Paul, I haven't totally figured out what I am going to do yet but I liked this idea from Kiwi Kev for reinforcing the rods.

[​IMG]

I will use something as the shell is wider than the radiator and the mounting brackets show.

After I posted this I thought I should have had pictures of it rotated.

That's exactly were this came from, off a heat pump. Good eye.

Thanks everyone for there comments. If I wasn't going traditional I probably would try and use it. But I will use something more trad.

22. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

I think that logo is on my daughters "My Pretty Ponies" horses. Go for it, princess! :p

23. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

What you're saying is simply that the airflow through the radiator will be CUT IN HALF.

If the reason for the insert is that the bottom of the upper tank shows and the sides of the core are exposed you probably have a Mustang/Falcon radiator. Why not be the first to dream up a nice subtle addition which simply covers the exposes tank and sides with wrapping the entire cooling core in steel?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  24. Kramer

Kramer

I could do that, but I also want to protect the fins/core as much as possible from flying rocks, etc.
    Yes it is a Mustang radiator. I have shorted the shell 3" so the tanks don't show (much), just the sides.

25. theczking

theczking

Send it to me I'll run it its cool and I could give a fat rats ass what anyone else thinks

26. [​IMG]The Rear bones in the picture are front bones set up for use on the rear. I wouldn't trust rear bones set up the same way. Front bones are thicker and shorter.

27. Kramer

Kramer

Ooops. I missed that part somewhere. Will have to rethink things some now. Still haven't ruled out a torque arm.

I do have an extra set of front bones however. Will have to give it some thought.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention Kiwi.

28. ... which is why I suggested NOT to turn it around... :D