Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Sun Tachometers by sunpro

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Eightydeuce, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Eightydeuce

Eightydeuce

Attached Files:

2. 42hotrod

42hotrod
    from S.E. Idaho

I like that!!

3. titus

titus

hmm, seems pretty good.

jeff

4. I will totally buy that if it is worth a shit.

-mikethegreek-

5. Chebby belair

Chebby belair
    from Australia

Thanks for the heads up!

6. Larry T

Larry T

Kinda takes the edge off of looking for good original tachs.
    I don't know if that's good or not, but I'll probably buy a repop.
    Larry T

7. nitrozahn

nitrozahn

Very cool! I'd buy it.

8. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

9. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

It's about time!

10. Tony

Tony

My thought's exactly. Well worth the money if they are as good as they say..
    They do look spot on..
    Tony

11. Like to know if it compatable with an MSD 6AL

12. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

They look killer! How much?

13. chop32

chop32

They have gotta be better (I hope) than the chintzy plastic knockoffs that Mooneyes came out with a few years back!

14. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Website said $133. Not bad, if it works good!

15. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

16. What years did this style Sun Tach originally come out? Anyone know or close guess? I see the website says 60's, but nothing else.

17. Wow what great timeing on my part. I just sent that cup in to get replated @ $32. I could have bought the cup and brackets for under $30!:eek:

18. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

Sunpro bought the original Sun compnay way back when. All their other stuff has always worked well for me, no reason these shouldn't. What the hell took 'em so long though?

19. fleetside66

fleetside66

It looks very nice & a reasonable price. I have an original with the red "football" oval & a EB-9A transmitter, but have not ventured to try to hook it up because of the whole transmitter fiasco thing. I guess the only thing missing on the new one is "Chicago, Ill. U.S.A." above the numbers. At least they had the sense not to print "Sunpro" in red neon letters across the front.

20. Philbilly

Philbilly

I've been lookng for a cool looking tach, but didn't want mooneyes. That looks very nice.

21. Eightydeuce

Eightydeuce

Has anyone bought one yet? I searched around on the internet for reviews and found one guy who said his does not read the RPM's fast enough (to slow).

22. Barnfind 56

Barnfind 56

I bought one and hooked it up last week to my car. It works great! Very nice quality and just like the original. The only thing is it doesn't come with any wiring you have to make your own. Not really a big deal but just thought I would mention it.
    This worked out great for me because I was wanting the old look but I can't run the old ones with my LS1. It lights up green also.

23. thequietwon

thequietwon

The originals were the same way...just had terminals on the back...you run the wires yourself. I have bought a few originals over the last couple of years, and given the market for these old tachs (prices!!) I am surprised they haven't done this sooner. The only problem I see is that the repro (as far as I can tell) doesn't have the "fine" print at the very top of the face. I hope they redo tthe rest of the gauges as well...be nice to be able to get a complete setup!
    Sam

24. t-town-track-t

t-town-track-t
    from Tulsa

mercdeuce. The 6AL as well as the 6A, has a tach drive that sends out an unaltered signal that allows you to run a standard tach. No special tach should be needed.

25. markeb01

markeb01
    from Washington

I grew up with these tachs in my formative years, so I can state from memory but have no official validation on production dates.

My dad had one of the early half sweep football tachs in his 58 Metropolitan with an MGA engine in 1960-61. It was the early pinch style short cup which had a split in the cup and two small brackets held together with a screw/nut. This was the style cup used in the early 409 cars. We also had this style in our 1952 Olds, along with a matching vacuum gauge.

The next version came along in the early 60's and had what I called "the black dot", centered at the bottom of the chrome under the gauges face. This was an adjusting screw to zero the pointer. These used either the pinch cup, or the short cup (NC-5) with the 2 acorn nuts on the back. Probably about 1964-65 the FZ88 came along, which was the first transistorized? model to eliminate the separate transmitter box. This was still a half sweep design with the black dot, but came in the "long" cup, to allow room for the transistorized section that fit on the back of the tach head. For me, this was the ultimate version. The old style face with the long cup was the ultimate to a teenage tachometer junky.

In 65 or 66 the original Sun Super Tach came along, and for all the "cool" guys, this was the tach to have, and all the half sweep models fell quickly out of favor. I'm very glad to see them providing a reproduction. As mentioned earlier it's a vast improvement over the Mooneyes version with the face crudely crimped over the can.

If I buy a new FZ88R, I'll probably add the black adjusting screw to the face to make it look more like an original. I have an original that is trashed but has a good condition adjusting screw.

26. Bigabone

Bigabone

I wonder if the make one that will work with a mag?

27. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

I saw one in person at the swapmeet this weekend - they look pretty good - not exact duplicates but pretty nice.

28. Thanks for the info. I did not know that. On my wifes 55 and the twin to her car we have early tachs in them and they get irratic above 4k rpm. When the weather breaks around here I'll wring out the wiring nd see if it's hooked up right

29. Diesel627

Diesel627

Hmmmm... Might be a good canidate for swapping the guts with an OG sun tach, damn might even be able to use the original face and every thing. Prolly be cheaper than sending an original out.