Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help. I need all opinions, before I jump

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dirtroad, Mar 4, 2010.

1. budd

budd

you need to take a trip to BC this summer, lots of nice cars around for less.

2. Toner283

Toner283

Buy a subscription to old auto's newspaper & watch the classifieds. there is usually a couple of A coupe's in there for sale. Spend 12-15,000 Canadian on a restored car & drop it on a hot rod chassis. instant hot rod for way less than 60 G's. the latest issue has a chopped 32 3 window with what looks like a 3 deuce flatty in it for 33,900 Canadian.

I love A's but you are throwing your $$ away buying almost any A for that kind of cash.

3. budd

budd

4. Dirtroad

Dirtroad
    Member Emeritus

Thanks
    Any good Canadian Rodder would not let an issue of Old Autos slip by. I'd miss old Nate's words of wisdom in Dodge City.

Thanks again to All for the advice, ...I'm going to look. I owe myself that. If it's not concorse, I' m walking, if it is , I'll try to insult them with a low offer

5. storm king

storm king

It sure doesn't look like $60K to me. Keep watching Goodguys Gazzette and you'll find something better, cheaper, (and that still has a hemi in it!).

6. Only because you asked..It is way too much money (with our present economy). I agree it is a nice car, and I can relate to an emotional impulsive purchase. But realistically, you have all the time in the world to think about this purchase, that car isn't going anywhere soon. I would search for the model you like, then apply all of your wants and desires (engine, tranny,color, tire, wheel, etc. choice)to it. You will be dollars ahead, and it will be your creation. Continue searching, have patience. Good luck to you.

7. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

I agree, to much, take the Hemi out and it's any other model A. not an expensve interior, who knows what lies underneath

8. Dirtroad

Dirtroad
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for the info.
    The 32 for $40 grand. needs work. I'm a Ford Guy. I can live with a Dodge, but a GM?
    The other is Sweet. 62 large. I'm just as far ahead with the Hemi. Have you seen it? Is it a quality build. P/M me.

Thanks again
    Dusty

9. dutched32

dutched32

You know man I recently had my left leg amputated,i'm still in alot of debt with the Dr. bills and having a tough time in recovery.With that being said I know the urge you are feeling,there isn't a day that goes by that I don't want to be full on into another model A myself.you have some experience on me you have been going through this longer than myself I'm sure,but I can't hold my tongue and stop from saying don't jump on an urge because it is there.With the money you are planning to spend you will realize that you could have had a better car investment wise and enjoyment wise.Good luck to you man,I hope it all works out in your best!

Tom

10. roddinron

roddinron

Do you NEED it or just WANT it? I can't understand why anyone would pay that much for a car unless he's so rich that $60K to him is just a drop in the bucket. If it's at the top of your affordability range, you may be proud to own it, but you'll probably never be able to relax and enjoy it, is that what you really want?
    Personally, for 60 grand, I'd rather own three or more nice hot rods than one great one, that way I can switch off, and if the economy gets any worse, I could sell one or two, and still have a hot rod.

11. 39 chevy kustom

39 chevy kustom

You have way more money then me if you even consider this !!!!!!!!

12. jeepfink

jeepfink
    from So Cal

You have had a whole lot of good advice here already, I agree that that is a bucket load of money for an A. I also think you SHOULD go ahead and take a look, you will always wonder about it if you do not. I say have a great trip, look at a lot of cars , eat alot of great food and then buy something closer to home this Spring and save the fees.
    Have a good trip!

13. belair

belair

Go look up the word INVESTMENT, and then jump over to EXPENSE. It may or may not be worth the money, but you will be spending money, not investing it.

14. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

just my opinion but i don't see 60k worth of a there. i would keep shopping

15. Roadsir

Roadsir

16. Dirtroad

Dirtroad
    Member Emeritus

Hay Tom
    Thanks for the response
    I feel your pain. every day it seems to get easier. I used to get up in the morning, and run for a pee. Now I have to remember to strap on that DAMN peg. I have landed on my ass a few times. You have to pick yourself up. Everyday. We are lucky in Canada to have government insurance. I had no medical bills after my misfortune. My leg cost $8 large and I just bought a spare.

As for the 31, It's someting "I" want. It dosnt have to be that one. I like it. I have the money. But the more advice that I get from the Great People on the HAMB, the more I feel its not wise money spent. Rodding isn't a cheap sport. I've known that for years. I raced late model circle track for 30 years. That 60 large would let me race a brand new car every year for about 3 years. I will look. I think that will be a starting point. I have to think with my check book, not my dipstick....Jimmy

Thanks and Good luck to you
    Dusty

17. Well I sure agree with the majority on this one and is sounds like you do to. I doubt that you could get $30K for that car here and there are a lot of hot rodders in this area and always a lot of cars for sale. Keep shopping and you'll find what you want and I'm sure it won't be anywhere near that price.

18. Blown Mopar

Blown Mopar
    from abc

One of my friends here sold his car last fall. 1932 5-window, full fendered, 392 hemi, you could have it with 6 deuces or 3-deuces, leather interior, Canary yellow paint. A very dependable and well finished car. $55,000. The economy hasn't got any better. This was the car of a life time and he didn't get 60k. What's more important a wife or a car that the wife didn't vote for?

19. rokcrln

rokcrln

Plus if their is one or two things you want to change on the car then it is all over! As soon as you change one item (an you know you would, we all want out touch on our cars) on the car then it leads to another and so on. Before you know it you spent 60K (once it get home) for a real nice builder.

That being said fine a real nice driver for 20K even if it has a chevy then drive it and change it to be your perfect car and you will still be under 60K but have a car that you designed if not built.

Kevin
    LFD Inc.

20. Dirtroad

Dirtroad
    Member Emeritus

I would like to thank everyone who responded to my post. I am going to fly down to Charlotte on Monday to have a look. I will be taking a new attitude along with me ( It flies free) I have not been a member long. I've seen in a short time, just how passionate and knowledgeable most members are. My problem was, I was thinking with passion and not using what I already know. Groucho, Thanks for making sense. I will report back Monday, or Tuesday on what I see.

Thanks to All
    Dusty

21. brad chevy

brad chevy

You need to be in a straight jacket if you give that much green for that car,as everybody has said you can do alot better,keep looking,it might have made you sick to your pants,whatever that means,you should have shit your pants at the outragious price,that car wouldn"t bring the money at barris jackson.keep looking

22. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Dirtroad. Good luck to you in finding your dream car whether it be this one or another. Have fun on your trip and let us know what happens. I think I would do a lot of asking around in the area trying to determine who REALLY owns that car. Perhaps you can hook up another way...

23. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

$57,000 final offer.....................Maybe?

24. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

30K and it's perfect. Blown small block

Attached Files:

25. greazhonkey

greazhonkey

If I had 60k, I wouldn't buy a model A

26. duke182

duke182

not a price that i want want to pay, but remember this:

if everybody leaves smiling, nobody got raped.

if thats how you want to spend your money, and the wife is ok with it, then by all means, leave with a smile on your face.

good luck with the decision.

27. Crease

Crease

It's a cool car, but not worth anywhere near $60K in my opinion.

28. Dirtroad

Dirtroad
    Member Emeritus

NOW, thats what I'm talkin about. That is sweet. My biggest problem is with a chopped car. Dont get me wrong, I love them. But with my handicap, I have trouble getting out. I kinda have to half stand before my peg will clear the door. Steel Rebel' Please P/M me with the details.

Thanx
    Dusty

29. I asked Duece Roadster for his opinion three times. I did what he said and it worked. My vote is to listen to him since he is aware of the guy. IMHO