Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Hey Paul, Welcome aboard! I've got your messages, If you can tell me what your looking for I'll try to help you.....Rich

2. Paul Martens

Paul Martens

Thanks Rich. I was not sure I was posting correctly. I am interested in the Rice Pizza Hut Stanton #1 champ car photos. Particularly the first one with the hood off. We don't get many hood off photos to assist with restoration. I'm guessing the photos of Larry crashed are in the Semi as he did not make the A that day. Wolfgang won it in the Bill King Brako Stanton #75, a sister car to Larry's PH car, as they we both new in 82. Would you have photos of Wolfgang from that race? I am interested in photos of these 2 cars as I own them both. They are presently in a complete but dissassembled state here at my shop. thanks, Paul Martens

3. Buildy

Buildy

Very sorry to hear this Rabs

I was enjoying and looking forward to seeing more.

I take current photos of racing,and I hate watermarked stuff. I refuse to water mark my stuff.

I don`t sell photos at all I do it for a hobby. I do know that anything that is posted on the web can be stolen.

I made the choice to post my stuff anyway.
    It is up to each photographer what they want to do with their own stuff.

I did get into a fight with other local photographers when they tried to tell me what to do with my own photos.
    You can`t post the photos large,you can`t post the photos without watermarks,blah blah blah.
    Yes I can.

I have more fun making friends with racing fans,drivers,crews etc than a few bucks would give me.

If you don`t want to post more,though,I can`t blame you. Some A-hole always has to pull something,like the tool who ripped you off.

This guy screwed you and all of us who loved looking at them and would never try to sell what you posted.

Go after the guy,maybe you can shut him down.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  4. Buildy

Buildy

Rabs I can`t find any of your stuff on e-bay.

Do you have a link?

I`d like to shame the guy on e-bay.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  5. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

I looked too.. I wanted to send the guy some "choice" words and hoped to find out where he was shipping out of. :cool:

6. rich imlay

rich imlay

howard conze driver jimmy davies

7. rich imlay

rich imlay

who are the only 3 drivers alive at this date who drove the Novi? Bobby Unser, Jim McElreath and Ralph Liguori

8. rich imlay

rich imlay

would be nice if you gave my dad, walt imlay credit for his photos

9. rich imlay

rich imlay

Leroy Neumeyer put the 19 through the fence at Langhorne in 1962. Stayed inside but took down some railing

10. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Thanks Guys , I found the post with a link to ebay thru post #4746 on the 60s&70smodified thread ...Rich page 238

11. Until I got on the internet, I hadn't seen much at all in the way of photos of old race cars. I could find hot rod pics on the newsstand all day, but not one supermodified pic.

The world had forgotten this thing we love so much. Collections were being thrown out, old programs were also.

Here, and at other sites on the web, we are creating a firestorm of interest in something that was only seen , picture by picture, maybe once a year by one set of eyes.

In my corner, it has led me to find rare footage, and give us a chance to see the art in motion, yet sometimes pictures still tell the story best. My slideshows on yew-toobe are the most popular I have.

Credit for photos is important, as well as footage too. BUT, Many times, most times, credit can take years to find.

I think it's a good idea to have the credit on the corner of the photo like "ARTEMIS IMAGES" has.

We are all so thankful these images have been kept, it truly has meant a lot. I have seen grown men cry at the sight of an old race car that they have not seen in 30 years! And still, more are finding the web-everyday.

Personally, I feel a race against time-getting the pictures out there-before the right set of eyes get to see no more. As well as keep the history alive.

"Selling" images that are stolen is downright wrong, and it breaks covenant with the spirit of what it is truly all about.

One way to get this guy? Buy one of his shots, and get his address from the shipping label, and get a hamber to find him and kick his little thieving ass.

In closing---I am a right clicker myself, but I cannot sell due to my conscience. Also, it is a great way to damage ones reputation.

12. MrExcite

MrExcite

Before I posted to Rich what I saw going down on Ebay, I paused and said to myself "this is probably gonna shut off the flow of some really great pics from my beloved Reading Fairgrounds", but you know what, Rich earned the right to know, and I don't regret letting him know. If there is a market for those pics, he should be the one to sell them, not SSwhatever scumbag on Ebay.

I hope you guys don't hold me responsible for the loss of these great photos. Rich deserves our thanks for posting them, and hopefully he can get some satisfaction from Ebay and resore order to his and his fathers work.

Thanks again Rich for the pics, they are great memories and I've enjoyed them very much !!

MrExcite

13. Most of those pics were probably 'Right-Click, Save As' off the Internet with no idea of who the original photographer was. I'm sure no disrespect towards your father was the intention.

Some great pics among this lot, that's for sure.

14. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

Art Malone! ............. and, I also saw Augie Pabst drive a front drive NOVI at the Milwaukee Miller vintage meet some years ago.

15. indyrjc

indyrjc
    from Indiana

Two other living drivers drove a Novi at Indianapolis. Parnelli Jones drove a Novi in practice in 1963. And A.J. Foyt drove the #28 Kurtis Novi during the Goodyear tire tests in March of 1964 running the car with an extended front axle to try to improve cornering. Foyt reportedly ran over 151 MPH within three laps in the car.

16. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

All these posts on photos I agree with. Like one guy said, I'm a right clicker myself, but I don't sell them. When I get around to writing a book, I'm going to have to ask quite a few guys for permission.

17. Inmate85031

Inmate85031

O/T, Sorta

NEMA owner Gene Angelillo passed away yesterday. Wynns1, who posts here, has maintained his midgets for many years in his Connecticut shop.

18. mrut29

mrut29
    from California

Sorry to hear about that RABS you had some good stuff to share. I'm not overly surprised that some dirtbag would do this but a little surprised there is a reasonable market for it.

Like Buildy I'm not in this to try and make a nickel I just want to share what I have so others can enjoy. After trying to find decent quality stuff like this and finding it fairly difficult I figured if I haven't something to share I will. It's kind of funny in 30 or 40 years when somebody starts trying to find pictures from this era they will be a dime a dozen I know I will have a ton to share of F1, NHRA and historic Road Racing to share.

19. mrut29

mrut29
    from California

I've been slacking on sharing stuff from Ascot. Here's a few more, the 82 car is my dad in his first sprint car.

Attached Files:

20. baldtireman

baldtireman

The Lowther #2 later became famous as a "super modified" on the western Penna. circuit, driven capably early in his career by Dave Lundy. Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania's Dick Linder(older brother of Gus) later lost his life in the Vargo Kurtis Kraft champ car at Trenton on April 19,1959. He was my childhood hero race driver, and films I have of him racing locally show him to be one of the SMOOTHEST ever from this area. John S.:)

21. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Hey Guys, First thanks for all the kind words and support during this issue.The polish, blonde, girlfriend/future x wife talked some sense into me by reminding me of my love and passion for this era of sprint car racing, and not to deprive all you great guys from the shots I have yet to post. The sprintcar and midget crowd have always been great people, So I have to apoligize for my temper tamtrum with this issue and because of this one IDIOT not deprive all of you,and will resume posting me and my families shots in the near future for you guys to enjoy!..... THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE SUPPORT and THANKS JEAN!...... RICH

22. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Sorry to here this, My condolences and prayers to all the Friends and the Families

23. OldBill

OldBill
    from PA

Thanks RABs32. Like so many others I look forward to seeing your photos - and share your anger/frustration about the thief.

24. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

.....'Even worse, what's chicken-**** about this guy, Scott SEWER (Seward) is he doesn't even have the gonads to list his home town on his ebay ad. Instead, it's "United States, United States." No mention of Harpursville? I said when Rich first came on and started sharing with all of us these magnificent pictures, that he was probably the greatest contribution to any board I've ever been associated with. I myself, have a pretty awesome collection of pics but, they're all from public publications, Racing Pictorial, USAC Yearbooks, Hungness Yearbooks, etc. But this guy Scott SEWER has gotten' under my skin SOO much, that someday he's going to wish he'd never, ever heard of the H.A.M.B. Message Board!

25. joemarsicano

joemarsicano
    from Palmyra PA

Rabs- I am always looking for pictures of the "Yankee & the Rebel" cars for my restoration. Let me know if you come across any and I will gladly pay for them.

For that matter... any of the Sidel cars...

Joe

26. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

THANKS AGAIN GUYS, i got an email from the clown, still says he bought them off craiglist, but when I looked at his other sales he had over 3/4s of my families shots on there to be sold, said he took all of the photos down,swears he did'nt know they were'nt originals I'll be posting more shots soon,....Rich

27. Rich, long time no see since the old days at the Fairgrounds. I hope you are well. I always loved the sprint / modified double headers we ran!

Your dad was one of the all time best and his photos are timeless and priceless.

Geoff

28. indyrjc

indyrjc
    from Indiana

And Paula Murphy is still around. She became the first woman to drive a race car at Indianapolis during a test in a Novi for Granatelli.

http://www.studebaker-info.org/Bonneville/PaulaMurphy2/pm2.html

I think we're up to seven still living Indianapolis Novi drivers.

Bobby Unser
    Jim McElreath
    Ralph Ligouri
    A.J. Foyt
    Art Malone
    Parnelli Jones
    Paula Murphy

29. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

During my time at the Riverhead (NY) Raceway, when ever we'd run the midgets, hours before any of the other racrers - hours before the sign in gate would open Gene Angelillo would be the very first to arrive. He'd park in the front lot and come into the office and we'd chat about midget racing. Sometimes we'd go across the road to a restaurant there and have lunch.

One time when he came early, as he walked into my office he said .. "I guess we won't be running tonight!" .. I asked why .. he said .. "Your infield is FULL of water. (It had rained the night before.) It looks like a (shallow) pond from asphalt to asphalt." he said .. I told him .. "Not to worry, that the previous promoters *improvements* made the drain work very slow, but that it worked and that the very sandy soil there would help with any remaining puddles." We chatted for some time and when it was time to sign in he first walked over towards that grandstands, then can back to my ofiice and said .. "You were right, it looks dry as a bone now!!!"

As much as I looked forward to hosting the midgets .. I also really looked forward to his early arrivals and truly enjoyed spending that time with him.

RIP Gene.

30. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Thanks for posting what you could. Hate to see it end this way, but your frustraton is understood. The same thing happened to Al Consoli a few months ago with similar results.