Register now to get rid of these ads!

Street Racing, your best waxing....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2many projects, Feb 25, 2010.

1. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

Waxings? I give them out....I don't recieve them!

2many projects likes this.
  2. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

funny..blue volkswagens were mentioned...
    I'll start by saying I only won by driver error...but it was funny!
    Leaving a cruise night in my '66 bug I pulled up to a light, it was about 500 yards to the next light...
    Up next to me pulls a '67 SS chevelle with a younger kid driving with a smokin hot girl in the pass seat.(Im gueesing it was his first date with his daddys car:eek:) He starts reving the motor and i give him the "are you f-in kidding me?" look. So i said whatever...
    I had the bug dialed in and it was fast but i knew the power of the chevy...
    delayed green, he red lines the motor...
    light turns, I pin it...he breaks his tires loose...i stay into it hammering gears he hits second next to me and breaks loose again nearly looses the car into the curb and me!! he has to let off and pull up slowly beside me at the next light!!:D
    His girl was crying...cuz she was laughing so hard in his face...he wouldnt even look at me and turned right at the light...
    Im guessing he didnt get anything from her that night!!

3. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

>>>>>,It was the end of may ,1966,,Anchorage Alaska ,,i drove this RED '64 GTO ,,389/tri-power/4-speed/3;90 gear 4000 miles down the Al-Can ( 1400 miles of gravel ) to Iowa for my sisters hi-school graduation ,,at WhiteHorse ,Yukon Terr ,,( the only piece of two mile blacktop on the hi-way ) ,i raced a '64 Pontiac Peresian ( Bonneville in the U S ) convertable w' a dual quad 409/425hp-4 speed ,,yep ,Canadians didn't get real Pontiac motors back then ,,only left over Chevy's ,,beat him by a car length ,,
    Got to Iowa ,,,raced everything i could find before headin' back home ,,
    on the way back to Alaska ,at Ft St John , B C ,,the beginning of the Al-Can ,,it was Friday ,,while gassin' up i got into a argument with a guy in a '64 Ply Fury ,,,we bet $50 on who'd get to Polar Dragway on Sunday first,,,2000 miles away ,,
    well ,,i beat him by two hours ,,entered my "Goat" in the C/Stock class ,,thru the suitcases outa the trunk for my wife & 9 month old boy to sit on ,,,borrowed a pair of 7 inch slicks ,,kicked the mufflers off,,and won the class and went on the win Stock Eliminator w' a 13;20 ,,never even changed plugs ,,,and hadn't slept for two days ,,got home ,,hit the sac and had to be at work at 6;00 am Monday morning pumpin' gas/and a mechanic at Smitty's Chevron ,.,man we had energy when we we young eh ???
    oh,,my ole` buddy Bill Vaughn in that black '64 GTO had a 421cheater motor / tri-power/ 4 speed ,,,got him by a nose ,,,i painted those white stripes on my GTO while i was in Iowa ,,only thing i liked about those Mustang GT-350's ,,,lol,,lol,,
    [​IMG]

4. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

>>>>>,my old red '64 "Goat" is now a 8 second Pro Mod car ,,with a 700 sumthin' cubic inch Pontiac motor & still in Alaska and races at the newly named Polar Dragway "Alaska Raceway Park" ,,,,

5. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

>>>>><I'm still "Lost In The '60's" !!!! those were sum great times ,,,

6. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

>>>>>,I'm Still'' Lost In The '60's" ,,,,those were sum fun times

7. I had a 65 mustang with a289 4 bbll stick. raceda girl with a stock 302 2bbl auto maverick. I broke lose on the start was still smoking tires when she got to the end.:eek: Was beat a 1/2 a quarter. Damm englewood slicks were worth a shit.:mad: just last week in Illinoise a freightliner coal hauler was on my butt as we came into harrisburg . He pulled up in the hammer lane at the red light. he pobably had a 400 cummins and 13 speed. The petes 15 speed and 475 cat beat him easily. I just skipped every other gear. Im still a kid racing a 80,000 lb 18 wheeler.:eek:

8. brad chevy

brad chevy

My race win that I will always remember is cleaning my brothers clock in front of his girlfriend and all his buddies,Iwas only 17,not much money,built a 55 CHEVY,327,3 DUECES,4 speed,nothing shiny,but quick as shit,older brother was in Marine Corp,came home with plenty of money went out and bought one of those ugly ass purple Super Bees,383,4 barrel,4 speed,ram-air,thought it was bad,not only did I BEAT HIM IN THE 8TH mile,Icleaned him good through the 1/4 he didn"t ever treat me like his punk little brother anymore after that night.It was sweet.

9. RDR

RDR

17 years old...attending vocational school autobody repair 1961...49 chev with 303 Olds/cad 3spd...fast enough...other side of the shop was mechanics tune-up and an older guy (probably 21-22)with a 51 Chev 322 Buick/3spd...I bugged him all semester trying to get him to race me..."Can't afford that,got a wife and kid,etc,etc..." tried to intimidate him by asking why would you put a V8 in your car if you don't want to run it??....No response....FINALLY just before Spring break the guy says, "You still want to run my Chev".....Oh boy, oh yah!!...went out that afternoon and got shut down pretty good and got a healthy respect for BUICKS and TUNING and laid back folk.....

10. novadude

novadude

I can recall doing my share of racing on corregan drive in South Park back in 1990 or so when people still cruised the park. Drove a '70 Nova back in those days... not terribly fast, but quick enough to embarass the rich kids in the new 5.0 Mustangs. :)

11. allyoop

allyoop
    from Michigan

My favorite line on the street is"go ahead I'll catch up":D

12. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

My brother gave my Dad a '74 Chevy Luv with a camper shell. After a few months, my Dad complained he wanted a V8. I built a mild sbc and did the swap with a T350 and 9" but kept the same bolt pattern as the stock wheels. One day, I took it to work where a guy had bought a new Corvette. Going home, I'm right behind him. We get on the freeway ramp and he nails it. At the bottom of the ramp, he glances in his rearview mirror and does a double take, I'm right on his bumper. As we merge onto the freeway, I pull to the left and pass him........great fun.

13. thathotrodkid

thathotrodkid

well im proud of this story first motor i ever built was a 289 small block wich was worked over prety well i might say flat top pistons highriser intake with holly 750 nice big cam headers it had it all built it when i was 15 dad bought the parts seing as it was going in his 64 galaxie well any ways she got a fresh toploader 4 spped about 4 weeks after geting her broke in and fresh some punk in a shiney honda pulled up next too us at a redlight my dad likes his rides quiet but we also instaled electric cutouts so this punks just saw some primerd old ride till we hit the switch i looked over saw him swalow when the light turned green he took off got to the front fender of our car but when she hit second all he saw was rubber smoke and taillights got to the next light he woldnt even look at us we toasted him and boy was the old man proud of that motor i built

14. Blown Mopar

Blown Mopar
    from abc

In 1957 I owned a 32 Ford roadster with a 4:71 GMC blown flathead. A classmates dad bought him a brand new 57 Ford with a blower on it. Waxed my rear like I was sitting still. I knew it was the end on an era.
    In 1972 in Hillsboro, OR I had a 58 Corvette with the strongest, built, 350 sbc I've ever had till I built my current coupe. I beat a guy with a 396 Chevelle so bad he had a temper tantrum right in the parking lot of the Piggly Wiggly. Called me a liar, said that no sbc could beat his 396. Demanded to see my engine. I showed it to him, then he had another fit. I love winning.

15. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

1968, my buddy had bought a '68 GTX brand new. Dyno tuned with cut-outs and Casler slicks, the car ran 13:55 at Lyons. One Saturday night, we go out to IHOP in Crenshaw Square, where the L.A. Street Racers meet. They's a '66 Chevelle called "Satans Soul Shaker" with a bbc. Enroute to a street race, the Soul Shaker pulls up along side the GTX while we're rolling. The Chevelle nails hit and the GTX walks away. At a red light, the Chevelle is reving. The light turns green and the GTX walks away. At the next signal, the guy in the Chevelle asks, "What's in it?". My buddy says a stock for 440. The guy in the Chevelle says he only has a 283.........We had just seen the bbc at IHOP!

16. Paul B

Paul B

Jan 1971 the night before iam leaving for the Service. About 12-12:30 Iam taken aride on the Berlin trunpike,maybe last ride i dont know all. ready drop my girl friend home. sitting at the last stoplight on the pike toward Hartford in my 67 Mustang Gt 390 4spd. next to 65-66 Mustang coupe. We take off slowly me figuring not going to waste my time, with this 6or 289 car. Well it stay up with me and the driver signals me he wants to run. we slow down, stop Both nail it were on!!!!. Iam ahead bang 3rd bang 4tfh ,big shiteating grin. All of a sudden they flew by me as if my engine fell out all i saw were tail light , i mean gone. after Boot camp i came home on leave and saw the Mustang at a used car lot in Hartford. that little shitbox had a 440 six pack stuffed in it. Best waxing i ever got PLUS i blew second gear in my trans.:eek::eek:

17. Anderhart Speed

Anderhart Speed

hahaha. I'm sorry to laugh, but it justs funny the way you put it

18. flamed34

flamed34

Several stories of beating and being beat, but this is my favorite:

About 7 years ago, I went to the Run to the Sun car show in Myrtle Beach. None of my projects were finished, so I drove my daily driver Dodge Stealth RT (yeah, rice...but good power and mileage).

After leaving the show, we were headed into town and pulled up next to a real nice '68 Camaro. The gold chainer in it looked over and I gave him a thumbs up over the rumpity rump of his engine. He just rolled his eyes and looked away...I guess I just wasn't cool enough in my Stealth for him (ah well). He started revving the engine, I suppose he was going to show me what he had...and I never back down from a race no matter what I'm driving! ( I could be driving a Chevette, and I'd still try to race ya!).

Light turns green, we're off...his Camaro couldn't pull away. He must have stayed into it for too many revs because suddenly there was a bang. When I looked in my rear view mirror, he was coasting to the side of the road with smoke billowing out from the hood. It might make me a dick, but it put a smile on my face!

19. Anderhart Speed

Anderhart Speed

When I was in high school (only a few years ago graduated in 04) most of the kids were into the import thing, but we had a fair amount of cool cars. The two "coolest" cars were my mustang, 91 notchback, modified 5.0, 5 speed, 4.10 rear, ported and polished heads, matched, ported intake, larger throttle body etc. I didn't have a lot of money so I learned a lot, found out about reducing rotating weight, so I had an aluminum driveshaft, convo pro centerlines, good tires, and I learned how to tune and how to drive. Car was faster than a lot of "faster" cars. The other car was a brand new subaru wrx, different exhaust, more boost, the typical body kit, and some tuning device. The car was 100% professinally done, even oil changes, because the kid was not mechanically savy. We were supposed to be at odds with each other because I was the domestic guy with the blue mustang with flames (the blue on my car was almost the same as the blue on his car) that built his car, and he was the rich kid with the state of the art modern blue import that bought his car. We actually got along pretty well. Well we were supposed to race so many different times, but he didn't like racing at night, and wanted to head down the main drag. I wasn't about that because I didn't want to kill someone or end up in jail. Well, the weekend after we graduated I was cruising around, just like everyone else, living it up before everyone left for college. Well, on the main drag, I meet up with him in the other lane. We were just cruising, but we both knew where we were going to end up. Turns out we catch the light at the corner of park avenue and the main drag, and at the far corner is Dairy Queen-the main hangout. Because everyone else it out there were tons of people at DQ. We started revving our engines and I saw everyone running to the edge to watch-was awesome. The light turned green and I heard his turbo spool and that car was right next to me. On the street I couldn't really launch my car because I would just rip the rear tires loose, so I just layed in to it pretty hard. We were dead even through first gear, shifted about the same time-which was just before DQ. I could shift fast-he couldn't, and his turbo would have to spool again before he got the power back. I put about 1.5 lengths on him right there, and just pulled on after that. Everyone saw it, everyone talked about it for a few weeks until we all left for school. It was a good moment in life, haha

20. Anderhart Speed

Anderhart Speed

There was this mid-80s ranger running around town, standard cab short bed. Purple with the typical 90s era street rod paint job, but a nice car. It had a cage and big tires on the rear, and I had heard it a few times, sounded pretty mean. Every time I saw the truck he had his young son with him-maybe 2 or 3 years old. Seemed like a nice guy, but I never saw him out late at night. Well one night, while with a girl I was in my mustang cruising. By this time, I had yet to be beat, raced mostly imports (which weren't even challenging) but raced a few fast cars that were good races. I thought I could run pretty good against this truck, but figured he would probably beat me, but i thought I might have a chance. Well, we are cruising with him, and he notices me. we didn't catch a light by the time we are heading out of town, so once the highway gets straight I notice him slowing down. we are at about 20 mph, and both engines are up on the cam. Well, after a pause I nail it first, and that damn truck pulled away from me soo freaking hard I felt like the throttle pedal didn't work. I went 1st. 2nd, 3rd, and that thing schooled my sorry teenage ass. I was so amazed by how fast and how much traction that thing got that I didn't even care I got beat, but my girl thought a "regular ranger" beat my ass-could never get her to understand, lol. Very cool truck, learned a valuable lesson that night-older guys are faster haha

21. I had a '69 Nova. A good street car with a healthy small block, a muncie and a 3:55 ratio, 12 bolt posi.
    I was driving down the road one day with a girlfriend riding shotgun. One of those turbo 2.2 Dodge Omni pulled up next to me at the stoplight. I thought this would be an easy kill, maybe impress the lady in tow.
    Soon as the light turned green, the little Omni launched hard and caught me by surprise. I overreacted by popping the clutch, thus spinning the tires and rendering the Nova to standing still. My girlfriend made a comment of how that little car just kicked my ass. I was in silence and pissed, but I caught the little Omni as the Nova was screaming up next to him. The guy in the Omni had a smirk on his face which further humilated me. Of course, with my pride being hurt, I slammed the Nova into a lower gear and speeded past him, just to make me feel better.

22. In about '78 I had a 69 Vette. Healthy 383 with an under driven 671. It was a 4 speed car with a 9 inch rear in it.

It was a street cruiser but it could hold it's own.. And looked cool as hell... Bright orange with centerlines.. Blower and carbs were almost as tall as the windshield.

I was cruising down Colorado bl. in Eagle Rock (Just west of Pasadena) when a little Maxda coupe pulled up next to me.. Driver says.."how 'bout a fun run?".. I figured... what the hell,, We square off at a light.. Green and we go..

This was a Friday night. Tommy's burger was a major hangout.. As we passed Tommy's , the rpm's in the Mazda seemed to double. It sounded like a swarm of bees..

At that point he had me by 2 cars and was still pulling.. As he went by I
    saw his plate.. It said.. "fast12a"

There was only about 200 people in front of Tommy's... Not too embarrasing..

23. I love this story. This kind of reminds me when I had a stock looking '74 Firebird with a really healthy sbc.
    One day I was driving to the Naval base and this officer in his Datsun turbo 300xyz passes me. When he was on the side of me during the pass, he kinda looked over at me with a arrogant glance. Soon as he passed, I hit the pedal.
    Now the tide had turned and I was on his side. The officer was mystified looking into the rearview mirror wondering where I went. I beeped my horn, he looked over, I smiled at him and punched it to the floor. The time I let off, the officer was a little speck in the rearview.
    That was just too cool.

24. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

One day, I was driving the Chevy Luv e/b on Hollywood Blvd from Highland. There was a mid '70's Vette lighting them up at each red light. So I wormed my way to the front of the pack so I end up next to the Vette. When I see the yellow light for cross traffic, I inch out and stop figuring the Vette would jump on it. Sure enough, the light turns green and he lights them up again. I nail it and pass him before the next crosswalk. At the next light, the guy in the Vette is laughing. He asks what I have in it. I tell him its my Dad truck so its stock. This cracks him up. He waves and makes a left turn.

25. Larry T

Larry T

I had a 65 289 Mustang back in the early 70's that ran pretty good. But there was a GIRL that had a Camaro SS 350/4 speed that would outrun me every time I came to town. And being that I was pretty bullheaded at the time it happened a lot more than once.

The best sleeper I ever had was a Sunbeam Tiger (poor mans Cobra) that no one really knew what it was back then. I out ran lots of muscle cars that thought they had been beat by a 4 cylinder. Made me smile every time.
    Larry T

26. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

me and my buddy stopped a local donut shop where a group of guys with hot cars hung out. we were on bikes and of course they wanted to race. i had just recently replaced a bent valve in my triumph from missing a gear so we declined so they said u guys have cars my buddy says i have a hudson jet they all laughed and said is that a car go get it . well this jet had a wasp or hornet engine whih dual carbs. when we got back they decided we were to race a 55 chevy so we go out and line them up and the jet blows his doors off they come back and his buddy says what the hells goin on he says he has to much weight and takes a wash tub full of ashes out of his trunk and they race again same results but at the finish line my buddies clutch linkage comes off . so they all scatter were under a street light fixing the linkage and these guys buddies pull up and start telling how they heard this car is all hopped up.they look under the hood and the shadow of the hood blocks out the other carb and the end of the motor pushing thru the firewall and they say holy cow this thing is stock and go to tell the bad news to there buddys. that was a trip ps this jet came out of the hole like a fart

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  27. Rande

Rande

Back in '76 I was undefeated in the '73 AMX (certainly didn't run against everyone, but plenty). One night, I lined up with a Charger ('69 I think, it had the twin tailights on each side). We took off, after two blocks he was three. Damn he was fast. Never saw that car before or anytime after. Either he was from another city or he brought out a race car just for this. Never knew.

There was a local super-charged '67 Fairlane I wanted to try but he wouldn't. Never saw him run or ever heard of him running.

Ahhh, to be young and stupid...but those were fun nights...

28. STILL OLD

STILL OLD
    from tennessee

I got out of the service in early dec. of '70. You'll have to know that I was just a little crazy and a whole lot dumb! Me and 2 buddys were out drinking in My one buddys 360 hp., 396, '66 chevelle. We were sitting in a White Castle, when this Fella ask if we would like to partake in a little drag race. Well My buddy sez, sure ,what Ya got.He sez he will have to go home and get his car Well he pulls in with a '67 camero, sounding like a legal superstock car,With a small block, 4sp and slicks. He wanted to run for money,but we had spent all ours on drinking,so we're going to run for bragging rites.My buddy sez to Me ,"you drive better than Me,You drive" Well We go out on the nearest Interstate and line up. Well its 1 2 3 go ,and I jump this guy about 2 cars and pulling hard, go for second and miss it totally, and this Guy goes by Me like a freightrain passen a hobo! Till this day, 40 yrs later, I still hear about it every time we talk abuot the old days.

Buzz

29. bbanks12

bbanks12

i was at the strip back in the fall and lined up against a jeep cherroke (Sp). i was in my 01 f150 just having some fun. just before the tree lite up, i saw the SRT8 badge. it was REALLY ugly. i found out later he had a 300 shot on top as well lol. i also found out what grand nationals were the hard way at that same track some time back

30. OLSKOOLCHEVY

OLSKOOLCHEVY
    from Idaho

i pulled up to a light on the blvd one time driving my brothers 78 malibu with a just a 305 and edelbrock intake,carb, cam, dual exhaust. there was a stock white honda civic next to me with some girls in it, light turned green punched it and that lil honda whooped my ass..embarassing as hell, i was happy to say that car wasn't mine.