Register now to get rid of these ads!

Big 3 San Diego, Friday?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jeepfink, Feb 21, 2010.

1. 562roadster

562roadster

Damn! But i'm still going. At least the stadium parking is all concrete, not mud like in Turlock.

2. Just got back from today's event. This was my first year. I was able to break away this afternoon so I decided to pay the $10 parking and see the event first hand on a Friday. I understand that everybody looks at everything differently and that one man's junk is another man' treasure, but I was NOT impressed. A couple of folks I talked to said the same thing. I am sure, however, that others may see it differently.

3. raaf

raaf

4. 51 mercules

51 mercules

I went today and enjoyed it,even though I didn't find anything for my 51 Merc and 35 Ford P/U.I walked the whole thing and saw a lot more early ford parts there than I did at Turlock and it's 5 1/2 hours closer to home.

5. Went today and sad to say I had a good time but wasnt too impressed, I guess I just built it up too much in my head. I saw a lot of flathead stuff but not too much of anything else.

6. hotrod56cars

hotrod56cars

This is the first year that I went on Saturday... I'm not sure if it's because I went on a Friday or if this year there just wasn't as much stuff as previous years. But I found a pair of steel rear fenders for $10 so I can't complain. :D

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  7. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

What wasn't impressive ? specifics

8. Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy
    BANNED

Jeffsled and I headed down there.. I will admit after been going for many years on saturday.... There was a lot of open spots car corral blew, however, saturday is going to pour they say maybe sunday will be better... Got a few cool things....

Bigdaddy

9. Ill be there on Sunday. Im hoping to find 51 Cadillac parts. :)

10. PhoenixFear

PhoenixFear

Is anyone going today? Would it be worth it for me to go today? I'd rather go today than tomorrow if I could.

11. kind of sounds like it was a bust, we missed going to today, might go tomorrow. But like most swaps with out of state folks, vendors start leaving by noon. Anyone else go?

12. so, for those who went today, is it worth a 2 hour drive for other parts like Cadillac and late 50's Oldsmobile?

I surely dont want to make a trip and find out it was worthless and a waste of money.

13. 51 mercules

51 mercules

I walked the whole thing yesterday and I don't remember seeing any cad or olds stuff.I did see a lot of Model A and T stuff and Tri-5.There were a lot of empty spaces.I don't know if more sellers will be there or not.

14. hotrod56cars

hotrod56cars

At least half of the unused spaces that I saw usually have mobile dealers that sell new sh!t out of their trailers, I expect them to all be there today. I saw several Olds air filters but I wasn't looking for hard to find Cadilac and Olds parts either. I bought a pair of bobbed '31 A rear pickup fenders for $10 for the pair. I saw a pair of '32 Ford front fenders for $400 for the pair. A '29 (I think) 2 door sedan body for $2,500 OBO. LOTS of A front fenders for good deals. A pair of steel uncut and pretty decent A pickup rear fenders for $150. I would have bought a lot more if I wasn't broke. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  15. I saw one Edmunds old's aluminum manifold with 2 carbs on it. I didnt really see any cad speed equipment.

16. PhoenixFear

PhoenixFear

I didn't see much Cad or Olds stuff either. I might go tomorrow as well, I'm still trying to find a damn hub puller. One guy had one that he sold for like 8 bucks right before I got there, a few others said around the same thing.

17. 562roadster

562roadster

not to much cadillac or olds speed equipment. But there were alot of early Ford stuff! Got quite a few things for my roadster. I had a good time.

18. jeepfink

jeepfink
    from So Cal

We went Friday and spent a good 5 hours walking and buying, didn't pay full price for a thing! A true swapmeet!
    While I did see some empty spaces they were the big corporate trailer vendors as hotrod56cars said above.
    This is one of those "you never know what you will find" kind of swaps.
    I bought some extra mirrors, a vintage tool box, some racing stickers,a light bar for another project and a whole lotta other stuff. Nothing really big this year but still some great stuff.
    Talked to a lot of awesome people and had way way too many photos and comments on my old lady cart with the flyin' pig and drag chute!
    Would not miss the Big 3 for very many reasons, Sunday should be good , but after yesterday I am going on Friday in the future!

19. johnie22

johnie22
    from so-cal

i went on friday . did any one on here get the 3 32 grills for $500

20. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Swamped. Swamped. Swamped.

21. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

I had fun... slept there Friday. Cooked alot of pollo asada. Gonna be back down there tomorrow morning.

It's supposed to be sunny!

- Joe

22. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Rained like shit on saturday but friday night was great.Lots of guys crusing their rides in between the stalls.Some ok stuff was for the taking but it was a bit barren.i saw some flathead speed equip.Thickstun dual carb intake with thickstun tear drop dual carb aircleaner.i also saw a 34 barnfind roadster(i think roadster) in rough shape for $32,000. The car corral sucked.and a nice 39 ford convert for $52,000.I always carry that type of cash around

23. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

And i also saw san diego joe...but he wasnt for sale.

24. PhoenixFear

PhoenixFear

I'll probably be there tomorrow, let me know if any of you find the hub puller by chance or if you're selling one. I'll be the red haired guy asking goofy questions.

25. Desert Ratt

Desert Ratt

So, how did today go?? I went Friday, and got a couple of small items. Went back Saturday at 5:30 AM (n0 parking fees then), hardly anyone awake. Got a cool 2 barrel air cleaner for $5 and two sets of small block Ford Valve covers for $5 a pair. By 6:30 people waking up and sellers showing up. Then it started to pour, even with a rain pochco on I was getting soaked. Left, hung out at my good Hotwire hotel and then had to head out of town. On I-15 could hardly see the lanes heading North.
    Still looking for '51 Ford car bumpers

26. PhoenixFear

PhoenixFear

Today was definitely better than yesterday. I still couldn't find the damn hub puller, I found an old Snap-On one for $120 but didn't have that kind of money. I found a Model T cup-style one but I was pretty sure that wouldn't work. I'll probably make my own. Yesterday there was a guy there with pretty much two entire parking spaces covered with carbs but I didn't see him there today.
    I scored a set of metal car ramps for $5, a great condition Holley 94 for $55, and a few old car old manuals and information stuff for like $16. There was a nice set of 50s Caddy wire rims with whitewalls there, didn't say the price. Lots of Tillotson carbs for cheap. A guy there was selling mainly Olds stuff too, mostly emblems but a few intakes and stuff as well.

27. went today as a last minute thing, was a ok swap, I can't imagine it all the way full, would have been a great.
    There were still a few deals to be had but we we're looking for model A rear fenders.
    Everyone above is right about there being more vintage ford stuff than much else.

28. hotrod56cars

hotrod56cars

You're killing me. They must have sold quick because I didn't see them.

29. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

Really depends on what you were offering Paul!

Hey - anyone know who bought the '51 Cadillac front bumper that Cisneros had for sale.

My buddy George really wanted that.

- Joe

30. lostatsea

lostatsea

When's the next San Diego area event?