Register now to get rid of these ads!

History big willies 69 dodge daytona

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cudacorey, Feb 17, 2010.

1. any more ? bttt

2. I get to the site, see a couple of pics for a few seconds and then it goes away. Definately something wrong there.

3. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

As I recall, when Big Willie got the Daytona, he was challenged to a race by a guy named Bo'Pete. Bo had a Willys pickup. The Daytona got beat so the street racers pulled together and rebuilt the Daytona. I heard the motor was an Ed Pink Hemi. At the re-match, the Daytona beat the Willys.

I rmember when Big Willie started calling out Pro Stock cars. I wonder if anyone took the challenge?

4. I hope this works.

Attached Files:

5. olddrags

olddrags
    from ky

Yep! Gary French aka Junior

6. Da Injun

Da Injun

I believe it may have been Gary....if he is a member of the Brotherhood. I remember he had the helmets there of Willie and Tomiko....but he had a jacket that was his (I think anyway). He bought the car from Big Willie, had it sitting at the track at Bowling Green, and also had it at the Holiday Inn at Bowling Green and was sitting next to the car with some other guy....the one goofy thing I do remember was him getting asked if it was the car in Joe Dirt several times....and not thinking it was funny........because he figured if these are all "car guys (and gals)" and at an event like the Hot Rod Drags, that they should know it is not the Joe Dirt car, and how many did not even know of Big Willie.

I do have pictures somewhere of that car, that night, but I have been looking and cannot find them anywhere...I have the day shots at the track, but without the then-owner of the car next to it.

7. I am Gary French, I am the guy who bought the car from Big Willie out of his back yard and enjoyed owning the car for 5+ years, I wish I had never had to sell the car, but sometime life throws a stick in your spokes and crap happens.. Id give my left nut to own the car again.

8. Hal_396

Hal_396

I'd never give up any part of my bean bag for a car! I was a cool car. Didn't Willie open the Terminal Island raceway back in the 90's? I remember running my car several times there.

9. jokerjason

jokerjason

That was a killer intro, especially with the flashlights the guy used to start the race.Kick ass movie!!!! JOKER JASON

10. mac762

mac762

How much did you get out of it? Feel free to tell me to "Get bent.". I'm a nosey SOB.

11. cammer427

cammer427
    from Canada

It's good to have you on this thread providing your input, Gary :D If you don't mind me asking, when did you purchase the car?

12. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

photo waiting in parking lot terminal island for track to dry

Attached Files:

13. corey ya seen all this ?

14. thats where i remember seeing big willies car!!!!!!!

15. cammer427

cammer427
    from Canada

16. SuperJim

SuperJim
    from Minnesota

Last Friday we put out a mass email to our customers announcing we would be making 3 Big Willie '69 Dodge Daytona Chargers in 1:18 scale die cast.

[​IMG]

We will be making his Orange KING Hemi car, his wife Tomika's Green QUEEN Hemi car...

[​IMG]
    and the Light Yellow version that recently was on ebay.

All 3 will be an "as raced" early version (not like the yellow car now is) before they got extremely wild. Still to be pretty sharp, they will be lettered up as they were ran, have the t-thrust wheels, the tear drop lift off hood, some slicks of course, with the Orange & Green cars having detailed cross-ram Hemi's and CluchFlites, with the Yellow car having a 440 and TorquFlite. We are working with Willie on these, and hope to have samples of them at the Mopar Nationas. Willie may be there too.

Here's a link to all 3 cars on our site for full information. At least all we know right now.

http://www.supercar1.com/catalog/in...dvanced_search_result&search_in_description=1

17. SuperJim

SuperJim
    from Minnesota

Anyone know if the Big Willie Yellow car did ever sell? Ebay listing I looked at said was relisted?

18. Toner283

Toner283

Yeah, it is relisted. 2 days & some hours to go as of now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140405284130#ht_1238wt_775

22 bids & it is at $76,000.00 with a buy it now option of $175,000.00. better than the $250,000.00 that was on it last time around.

Cool car, cool history. as to the quarter panel being blanked out it appears that with some fine grit wet/dry sandpaper & a hose, most of the original lettering could be uncovered with minimal damage to it.