Register now to get rid of these ads!

HAMB "Vintage" Tool Box Club

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by daveydeuce, Dec 3, 2006.

1. selohssa

selohssa

This is one that i got the other day. I didn't need it but i wanted the tools that it came with.

IMG_2537.jpg

IMG_2538.jpg

IMG_2541.jpg

IMG_2552.jpg

2. selohssa

selohssa

I bought these old MAC boxes used back in 1991. They were made in 1977. The guy that I bought them from was a cabinet maker, so they were not moved around or abused. I always liked this style.

IMG_2619.jpg

IMG_2616.jpg

IMG_2613.jpg

3. selohssa

selohssa

This is one that I bought off of a retired mechanic because it was full of Snap-On tools. I didn't need the box but I can't say no to a good deal.

IMG_2345.jpg

IMG_2353.jpg

4. tommythecat79

tommythecat79

I got these tool boxes from my wifes grand father. The Craftsmen and Kennedy stack are pretty damn old, as is the Craftsmen cabinet. What about a "vintage" tool club, I have this Millermatic 35 that's 36 years old and still runs like a champ. I painted it and striped it because it was pretty beat up.
    005.jpg

006.jpg

garage pics 019.jpg

garage pics 020.jpg

carshow photos 011.jpg

5. reedthree

reedthree
    from California

Can anyone ID this tool box for me? My Grandfather gave it to me years ago. He's no longer around to ask. I'd love to know as much as I can about it. It's full of amazing Herbrand, Snap-on, Proto, etc. tools.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. BlueBox

BlueBox
    from San Diego

Here is my German built tool box. It's called an "Assistent" and was built by Hazet. Hazet has been making tools since 1868. The cart is from the early 50's. The middle tray is suspended on chains attached to the top tray. The trays can be slid down for compact storage and to lock it.

[​IMG]

7. RickyB

RickyB
    from So Cal1956

Evening Kidz, just stumbled across this cool website yesterday while researching this roll-around box I picked up last week. I've thrown pics of it up on a couple different forums that I belong to, but no luck yet in i.d.'g it. So here goes, I'll let you rok starz try and figure out who made this thing.....:cool:

(here's some specs on it---it weighs about 300 lbs. empty, it's about 28" deep x 46" wide, is a '3 sided' layout, has no badge, logo nor marks of any sort, the drawer slides only say 'Patent Pending', the casters are made by 'Faultless' and the exterior has been re-sprayed red again.

Oh yeah, and I paid $50.00 for it...........)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finn Jensen likes this.
  8. Graham08

Graham08

I think that's a Snap-On box, and it's not really all that old. You don't see that many of them, I think the intended purpose was for maintenance guys working in factories, so you could carry a lot of tools, and have a nice work surface on the top. Having access to three sides to get to stuff isn't a big deal in that application because the box is always moving.

Nice find!

9. Looks like the same box my dad gave me. He bought his used back in the 1940's. Mine has green felt in the drawers and metal spring clips and dividers. The handle is leather.

10. Here's a toolbox my grandfather hand-made pre-WW2. He built things to last. I added the bad paint job and decals when I was a wacky teen-ager. Maybe I should try to restore it to its former glory.
    He used to jack up the back wheel of his Model T and connect a belt from it to a saw for cutting firewood. (So I was told.)

Attached Files:

11. selohssa

selohssa

That is a Snap-On for sure. They are commonly called "taco wagons".

$50?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
  12. selohssa

selohssa

These things are cool, Anyone else got one?

13. El Gordo

El Gordo

I do not have a cool vintage tool box and this is my story of why not...
    My Father was a mechanic and had his own service station from '55 till '66.
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2390467/5
    we moved to the big city and Dad passed away suddenly in '72.
    I remember the big tall and red box of drawers that disappeared after the official cleaning of the garage. I always assumed my oldest brother who was 23 at the time and had his own place ( I was 9 ) took it and ever since when ever I was in his garage would watch for it.
    Just last month I finally bought a bottom half tool box for the top half I had for years, my 83 year old Mom saw it in the back of the truck when I was giving her a ride and said "do you remember your Fathers?"
    She then tells me that during the official garage cleaning they had some "non-car people" ( Her term-I love my Mom ) help out.
    One of them removed all the tools from the tool box and piled them in cardboard boxes, He then wheeled the tool box out to the garbage cans in the back alley:eek:
    By the time the box was missed the next day it was long gone from the alley ( it wasn't garbage day, some one just got himself a free box )
    Mr. Helper said I didn't think you would want it (!!)
    Ya - why would his 3 sons want a dirty old tool box - dick head!
    At least I got some of his tools

14. selohssa

selohssa

That sucks.

15. uberschall

uberschall
    from The D

just scored this mystery contraption yesterday.

[​IMG]

there are 10" fixed wheels on one end with rubber craftsman branded tires, and iron casters on the other. the corners are all rounded, and there's a "user added" hasp for the door.

it will look much better cleaned up a bit with my 520 on top!

16. 510madmav

510madmav

Can anyone tell me approximately what year my Craftsman top box is? I just got it as a gift this past christmas, Its in NOS condition.[​IMG]
    Brazil tools, Chicago IL. Anyone have any info on this box? I did some old school striping on it, I think it accents it well. It was full of vintage tools when i picked it up.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

18. Thumper

Thumper

I believe thats a Huot box. They still make drill bit index boxes.

19. This thread rules

20. ricardo_rocha

ricardo_rocha
    from Brazil

Im not sure why but I loved that one...:)

21. Woogeroo

Woogeroo
    from USA

22. socalmerc

socalmerc
    from socal

my uncle has one of these it's a snap-on. he just offered it to me tonight for $500 and he said for a $1,000 he will throw in a bunch of snap-on tools. what do you think is it worth it ?
    its at my brothers house and he has been trying to get it from him. but i dont think he wants to pay what he is asking for it.
    i feel bad cause he is offering it to me knowing my brother wants it.
    he told if you dont buy he is just gonna list it in the paper and sell it. he has some medical bills he needs to pay.

23. selohssa

selohssa

That sounds like a decent deal. Go for it.

24. Fordguy321

Fordguy321
    from Arizona

My snapon box has the serial numbers stamped in the back. now they use stickers. but my dealer doesnt know when they stopped stamping. he told me its older. i really dought old enough to be in the club. But these pics make me wana get in!

25. unkamort

unkamort

Did I post this? Thanks to a guy over at the Garage Journal I have the last piece for my stack. I also have a chepo HF 3 stack unit in the office, and a little Kennedy that I'v had for 40 years. No more tool boxes... I swear.

Attached Files:

26. selohssa

selohssa

Somehow I have a hard time believing that. LOL

27. Here is a box I just got, it's still in the mail! I can't wait. I'm going to fix is up and use is for my road kit box.

I'll keep y'all posted on the progress.

Punko

Attached Files:

• f56.jpg
      f56.jpg
      File size:
      174.7 KB
      Views:
    • f57.jpg
      f57.jpg
      File size:
      120.2 KB
      Views:
    • f58.jpg
      f58.jpg
      File size:
      172.3 KB
      Views:
    • f59.jpg
      f59.jpg
      File size:
      118.1 KB
      Views:
  28. PorkWagon

PorkWagon

That box with the "eyeball" on the front. Who exactly made that box? I saw a couple different answers and wasn't sure which was right. I turned up empty handed on google using the names givin. Ever since going through this thread I have been drawn to that sucker. I need one! Any info would be killer. Thanks guys.

29. Pretty sure that's the oldest Snap-On box I've ever seen. :eek:

I'm curious about all the linkage attaching the handle to the fold out trays to the main part of the box. When opened up, it looks like if you pick it up by the handle it will automatically fold up the trays to the closed position! Some pretty interesting "monkey motion" going on there. :D

30. The one I have is a J.C.Higgins Tackle Box made for Sears Roebuck.Not sure who the actual maker is.I do know they were made in both steel and aluminum as a friend and fellow striper has a near mint one in aluminum he bought on e-Bay REALLY cheap.Mine is steel and wasn't in the best of shape.Pics enclosed of it before and after with a closeup of the decal.

I just got a really nice machinist's tool box the other day at an antique shop.Kind of unusual in that it is a wooden box with a sheet metal outside covering painted to simulate wood.Nice interior with green felt and oak drawers.Paid $75 for it but was worth every penny to me.

Attached Files: