Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 1929 coupe build thread....Lots of question from a first timer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by saints, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Fixxxr

Fixxxr
    from Sk, Canada

I don't mean to kijack this thread, but is there a way for a guy to square up the body and start welding in lower patch panels if he doesn't know what he wants to do for a frame yet?

2. saints

saints

ask away fixxxr Im learning as I go as well

3. saints

saints

Ok so many may remeber my find http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=370537
    Ive kept intouch with him threw his grandson and I am looking for a chassis and remebered he had a few hanging around so I gave him a call and met him out there today....
    Man what a great guy I looked around and talked to him a while about my project and what direction I was going and I asked what he wanted for a 30 a complete chassis and he paused a minute and said well $500 I said sold and shook his hand and bought me a chassis for my project.......well it was time for me to take off and through out or walking around I would here him say" well I have the rest in my shop"
    didnt think anything about it but he asked if I wanted to see his shop and of course my response was heel yes I do.......well we took a 5 minute drive and came apon 2 garages about 40x40....well the first thing I saw was a awsome henry J in great shape and then paned around and saw 2 complete 50 ford shoe boxes and one was a convertable.....on around the corner was a good looking aa truck and a ton more t and a parts and as we went into his first shop he had a complete 30 roadster full fenders and a Rpu truck and alot of misc parts......secound shop had a mint sunbeam so the guy has 2 and a crosly stationwagon....and then he showed me some of his flatheads and parts question is what make or model is this intake
    sorry for the crappy cell pix it was dark in there
    [​IMG]
    It has no manufacture name and it has a finned, I guess fuel block on the side with an fitting it was given to him and he didnt know what brand it was so i took a picture.....Ill drive out and get the chassis monday so ill try and get some pictures of some of his stuff

4. fixxxer and saints, trust what CornFed said about the chassis first. I did this myself on my build. The Model A body is very flexible, even with correct wood installed.
    Build a good, solid chassis first. Build the body on that chassis. Shimming will be required to make doors line up with body lines.

5. baspinall

baspinall
    from SE PA

Good thread Saints. I just started a 29 coupe build as well.

6. saints

saints

Ive found a 49 flathead and it is running still in the car.....hes including the radiator and the transmission and the aftermarket headers all for $1800 now im no expert on flatheads but is this worth jumping on....its about 2hours away from my house so I have to make sure its worth going to get......he said he will not pull it till I have a chance to see it run.....what do I need to look for as far as the engine and if it is good or not.....if I can pull this off ill have everything but juice brakes to get my car on its way.....Thanks for all the help im slowly catching on

7. saints

saints

8. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

The radiator is a little large for a model A if it is from a 49 Ford of any type. The transmission may or may not work for you. The 49 F-1 pickup top shift 3-speed transmission is a good choice for a flathead with a torque tube drive. Any other types would be for open drive set ups with side shift. A three speed overdrive trans would work well for an open drive set up. $1800 is too steep for me. I'd look for something in the $500 range. A lot of these old motors are cracked or rusted up from setting too long so look for a guarantee from the seller or keep on looking. You would be too lucky to find a low miles motor that has normal compression, runs good, and doesn't overheat due to problems in the water jackets. Most would need to be completely overhauled to be what you would want for power and reliability.

9. saints

saints

Thanks I think I may keep looking I was just excited that it ran but if it gives me trouble with the drive train and the rad. doesnt fit Im spending the money for nothing

10. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

I know this won't be a popular opinion, but I really liked your idea if a Flatcad. Don't sell them short- they are torque monsters, and 150hp stock.

And speed parts are getting easier to get everyday!JMHO.

11. saints

saints

Ok here is what I have so far..... full body(check) full chassie(check)51 flathead(check) ......Now TRANS..... The flathead came with a trans but its a side shift anyone know A good looking shifter that adapts to this style or should I hunt down a a top loader....I have leads on a toploader if I want it......question is what year will mate up and be good for my 29 coupe?

12. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

1939 was the last year that Ford put a top shifter 3-speed in a car and the first year for the later type synchronizers. The pickups with top shifter 3-speeds from 38 up into the early 50s used the same gear case. They were adapted to an open drive set up due to the dual rear springs needed for extra load requirements. You can bolt this right up to either a Mercury pressed plate bellhousing or any of the Ford 3-speed V8 truck pressed or cast bellhousings. The gears for a side shift car from 1940 through 1948 are interchangeable with the top loader so there are a lot of used parts still out there. Some 49 & later 3-speed side shift non-overdrive car transmission parts will interchange but not all.

Some old rodders used a "three on the tree" steering column on their Model A V8s and used side shift 3-speed trannys from old 40 through 48 cars & pickups plus some later pickups used a similar set up. They probably wanted to get closer to their girl friends. Not much room in the little A-bones.

Kerby

13. OHEKK

OHEKK

Check this place out:

www.oldtimeauto.net

Jeff Templin has everything you'll need as far as parts