Register now to get rid of these ads!

"old" authenticated plates

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rain_man, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Rain_man

Rain_man

so im about to put my 61 c10 on the road and i was thinking about some authenticated plates or maybe just hot rod plates.are the any pro's/con's to these (i live in florida)

post up some pics of your plates
    thanks

2. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

can't help you with your local laws and pros/cons. but, i will say that i am a huge geek for original plates. especially when they are unrestored ones in nice shape. i think it really caps a car off.

3. Rain_man

Rain_man

ya i love the way they look i hate when i see a nice old car/truck with new shiney plates

4. Hot Turkey

Hot Turkey

Worked on that today! I had to send off my 1932 Florida plate to get it authenticated. It will look nice on the coupe.

5. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

me too-i feel like oregon is the worst though. our plates either have a big green tree in the middle, a bicycle, a salmon (yeah, a salmon) or crater lake on them.... yikes. on the other hand, the old plates are really cool. simple like yellow with blue writing, blue with yellow writing, black with yellow writing, etc. my newport has it's original blue/yellow plates that are in beautiful condition:
    [​IMG]

i love og plates!:D

6. Tony D.

Tony D.

Wish I could help, but I know nothing about Florida laws

Here in Missouri, all you have to do is send in a pic of the plate with the application and the cost to register (around $30) and that's it. No inspection, no renewal...ever. There is supposed to be a limit as to how many miles you can drive in a year, but no officers that I know ever check it, and I am a leo.

7. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

Go for it we use a 41 AZ plate the only thing is they want us to put stickers on it?

Attached Files:

8. Rain_man

Rain_man

hey hot turkey any tips?
    is it an easy process just get plate send out?

9. Jay Rush

Jay Rush

Have you seen they are redoing the "Pacific Wonderland" plates at least its not a salmon

10. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

i just looked it up-didn't know that! i'll be getting a set for sure-for something.

11. Rain_man

Rain_man

any good places to score a nice plate besides just prowling the swaps

12. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

i've had good luck with craigslist, found a couple nice plates there. hate to say ebay, but it's true. otherwise, local swap meets and good ol' fashion digging around will yield results sooner or later.

13. Rain_man

Rain_man

thanks ill probley check ebay today see what i can find there

14. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

To Rain man, You might try looking in Hemmings Motors News, or the Auto Roundup. I just bought a 55 Ky. tag from a guy in Fl. for $25.00. It is in great shape. I'm real pleased. Try this guy he sold me the 55 tag. Ron Weber, 4856 Misty Pines Trail, Lake Worth, Fl. 33463. Sorry I don't have his phone number.Sorry, I just checked again, I paid $30.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  15. Rain_man

Rain_man

thanks xhotrodder

16. Hoop-in-JAX

Hoop-in-JAX

Rain_man,

1961 Florida should be a piece of cake. Almost every antique mall has a stall with a pile of 60's vintage tags.

One thing that guys usually are not aware of ... if the number on the tag has already been issued, Florida will not approve your tag for use. The state DOES NOT CONSIDER the YEAR of the tag to separate it from the others with the same number.

In other words, a 1961 tag with a number like 8D-123 would not be issued if a 1958 tag, 8D-123, were already in the system.

Here's a link. Try to match your county code for Volusia, 8, and the correct type code for your truck. That will make your hunt a little more interesting. You wouldn't want a trailer tag on there.

http://www.floridalicenseplates.com/codes.php

17. Rain_man

Rain_man

with my luck ill pick a tag that has been used allready
    i looked on ebay no luck lots of tags just no "61"
    im goint to billetproff this weekend and maybe ill be able to find one therre

18. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

19. Rain_man

Rain_man

shineysideup thanks for the info
    i have a questions maybe someone here will know the answer
    in the link above it states
    "You must also already have a regular Florida or "Florida Only" driver's license, too"
    i live in both new york and florida i have a new york drivers license but this truck will allways be in florida so i want to have florida tags on it.

so heres my question do i have to get a florida license to to use the 61 tags
    thanks

20. 65PANELRAT

65PANELRAT

21. Rain_man

Rain_man

i just sent the guy that runs that site an email to see if hey has a plate for me
    thanks for the link

22. Rain_man

Rain_man

that is so funny i have been looking for a plate so i posted a message looking for one on craiglist i read this post and then like 5 min later got an email from a guy tring to sell me a plate for $50 bucks and the coad was for a trailer
    thanks for the code