Register now to get rid of these ads!

FNG sitting in Iraq, headed to Japan

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by xafalcongs, Feb 22, 2010.

1. xafalcongs

xafalcongs

Hi all,

I've been lurking around here for years and fianlly decided to join. I don't have a traditional rod of any type but I do have a 1973 build Australian Ford XA Falcon hardtop. It's a confussing mess of unrelated parts that I've been working on since 2002. It has a 400 from a 1973 Ranchero---one of the odd 400FMX blocks that has the Clev/Windsor small bellhousing bolt patterns. I've backed it up with a 1st gen Tremec 3550 TKO II because when I bought it that was the strongest box. The rear is a Ford 8.8 pulled from a 1996 Mustang GT. We welded the axle tubes to the center section, cut off the tube ends and welded on Ford 9" outer bearing retainers, up graded to a 31 spline Traction Loc with Moser 31 spline axles, and I replace the goofy factory pinion yoke with a standard Moser 1350 pinion yoke.

As for rods, I have a very low mileage Aussie Ford X-flow 250 6cyl with EEC-IV EFI and a T-5 bellhousing that I plan to drop into my next project....thinking about a track-T or some type or an old pick-up.

2. hammeredcoupe

hammeredcoupe
    from Tacoma,WA

Welcome,and good luck in Japan. That's gotta be a little more hot rod friendly than the sandbox.

3. crackerass54

crackerass54
    from dallas

EFFIN NEW GUYS! welcome and thank you, you should find some cool rods in japan

4. outlaw1949

outlaw1949

Welcome from Kentucky. Thank you!

5. Welcome from just down the road from where your XA was built. I've got a XB, cheers oggie

6. farmer12

farmer12

Welcome from the Netherlands!

7. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

Welcome from sweden

8. 343w

343w

Welcome to the Hamb, Stay safe and good luck in Japan, Thanks for your service brother!

9. Butch M

Butch M

Welcome from Kansas stay safe and thank you...

10. havi

havi

Welcome --J ! (small world)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  11. JD's 32

JD's 32
    from TX

Welcome from TX. Stay safe.

12. 32Essex

32Essex
    from Texas

Welcome from north Texas , and have fun in Japan.

13. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey man, Japan isnt far away you will have to stop by and visit Oz one day, spare parts for your gear isnt real hard to come by, yet............
    I do envy you though, I am Ex-Army, wish I could get my arse back over there.
    Good luck, and drop us a line.
    Paul 'Doc' Watson
    Special Air Service Regimet (Ret)
    Australian Regular Army

14. Haere mai e kia ora from NZ (or should that be Ahlan wa salem & konichiwa?)
    Welcome to HAMB, your XA coupe's a pretty nice car for a rod project.

The Japanese have some amazing rice rockets that I don't think you get in Oz, but we do here. There's also an active hotrod and lowrider scene there so I'm sure you'll be in good hands.

15. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Welcome to the HAMB. Thank you for your service be careful .

16. tommythecat79

tommythecat79

Welcome from Colorado. Where are you going to be stationed Yakuska or Sasabo? Good luck man.

17. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

18. ronnie tidwell

ronnie tidwell
    from odessa tx

welcome from texas, don't get no better than them 1960 to 1970 falcons, they are the ultimate

19. xafalcongs

xafalcongs

Thanks for the Welcome y'all. For those that asked, I'll be at Yokota AB. Hope to get to Australia since I have friends and my wife's family down there. And, yep havi, it is a small internet!

20. I will be 47 miles (but 2 hours drive) from you. I get to Yokota often. A couple of neat shops in that area. I know one fella very near the base that has at least 25 MOPARs (many are muscular).. Alot of shows all during year in Tokyo and the two major tracks in the area (Fuji and Motegi). Once you settle we'll meet up.

21. welcome! And take infatdad up on his offer, he is good shit, even if he doesn't like Sushi ;)!

22. Welcome and thanks!

23. X2, take some good pics in Japan. I honestly think some of the people over there get our hobby better than we do.

24. Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday
    from Sconnie

Thank You For Your Service. Where you see any chop top camels over there? Have a safe trip to Japan.

25. xafalcongs

xafalcongs

imfatdad, sushi and Kirin Ichiban is on me.....don't like sushi then Kirin is on me:)

All, I hope to pick up something in Japan. Looking for one of the long nose, Skyline coupes from the early 70's.

As for stuff here in the sand box, Bongo vans would make a cool rod....if you don't know what a Bongo van is, try this:

http://www.ladysunrise.com/images/Bongo%20III.JPG

26. xafalcongs

xafalcongs

I see you're from Denton. My wife and I lived in Paris and then moved to Denton so she could attend TWU.

27. yblock32

yblock32
    from Australia
    1. Cranksters

Welcome from Oz

28. rockguy92

rockguy92

Good to have you here. Welcome from O-HI-O.
    The Rock

29. Sushi can be fixed with a little fire....

Those "older cars" can be hard to find, the insurance/inspection laws here are fixed so that vehicles over a certain age are taxed so much that a new car is an option most Japanese consider. Keeps their island economy moving along.... That said, SOFA people have it much easier, hence we typically have these castoffs... I know a couple of fellas up there that may be able to help in locating something you seek, I would find a driver first though, and search this for a second car..

30. xafalcongs

xafalcongs

Yep, I'll pick up a beater with a heater off the lemon lot so I can get the family around to where they need to go.

I'm somewhat familiar with their car laws and was certain it would be difficult to find an old Skyline or Fairlady. Oh well, I'll be there 3yrs.