Register now to get rid of these ads!

Car & Beer spots in San Diego...travel tips

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kraz, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Hey,
    Heading out to San Diego and need a heads up on any cool car spots and breweries.

Last year the Hambers helped me with my trip in Northern California (Farmer was a super nice guy...gave me some great spots to check out...I will need another trip to scratch the surface on that one), so I figured I have never been to southern california...might as well send a heads up.

Firestone Walker brewery is number one on my list as breweries go...we cannot get their fine products here in KC. Any others that are a must see (taste!)? I usually use "beermapping.com", but there are always local hang outs that are not on the radar.

Thanks again,
    Kraz

2. GEBHARD

GEBHARD
    from TX...

stone brewery
    1999 West Citracado Parkway
    Escondido, CA 92029

Get Directions
    (760) 471-4999

3. ...how could I forget! Stone...number two on the list.......

4. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

theres also karla straus and gorden biersk, Id go to Ocean Beach and have beer and pizza at newport pizza. Maybe the Tower bar. Dont go to simpsons nursery theres a lot of cars but the owner is a dick

5. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

In ocean beach, cool antique stores and hodads (best burger ever). As far as bars and clubs go to the gaslamp district 100's of cool bars and dicks last resort for a laugh.

6. Otto138

Otto138

For craft beers in San Diego besides the ones that have been mentioned...I'd have to recommend:

Ballast Point Brewery at 10051 Old Grove Rd,San Diego, CA 92131.

Ale Smith Brewing Company open only Friday and Saturdays at 9368 Cabot Drive, San Diego, CA 92126.

Hamilton's Tavern in South Park area 1521 30th St,San Diego, CA 92102. Great selection, good food, fun place.

Tornado in North Park area 4026 30th St, San Diego, CA 92104. Great selection, great food.

Just a few places for craft/import beers to check out.

7. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

I hope that one of the best swapmeets on the west coast is on your agenda.
    From their website:
    The 44th annual antique and collector car parts exchange and swap meet will be held at Qualcomm Stadium on the weekend of February 26th, 27th & 28th, 2010. The shoppers hours are 12 noon to 5 p.m. Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sunday.
    Have fun.

8. ...stop the press a swap meet! Oh @#$&! This may cost me my marriage, but my crystal ball says the "navigator" will have to finagle a detour...aka get lost...then hit a sign..."swap meet? What is this?"

Is it worth it! Wonder what I can fit in the overhead on southwest? =)

9. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

You gotta stop by the Ass Lamp District for a beer and a fish taco.

10. gillgonzalez

gillgonzalez
    from San Diego

11. wicked 49

wicked 49

12. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Cass Street Bar & Grill (a local bar), & Karl Strauss is a mighty fine brewery. Also, don't forget the "Green Flash" in PB & have some Rubio's fish tacos.

Chris

13. When are you going?
    The reason I ask is that if you are going later, and plan on going to the Stone Brewery, every Friday during daylight savings time is Cruisin' Grand in Escondido.

14. cheapskate

cheapskate

Fat City Steak House. good steaks and micro brewery

15. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

And dont forget the Tilted Stick in Ocean Beach

16. acadian_carguy

acadian_carguy

I don't know much about San Deigo, but when I was there about 10 yrs ago, I liked Trophy's bar and grill, out towards Qualcomm Stadium. There was a cool Mexican resturant in old town, great food and teqeulla. You should check out Mission beach.
    I was in So Cal this fall on a big family vacation. Only got to San Deigo for the day, wasted most of it at Sea World (never again). Did get some time at Mission Beach. My next holiday in So Cal, maybe a day or two in LA and the rest in San Deigo!

Attached Files:

• MB2.jpg
      MB2.jpg
      File size:
      228.2 KB
      Views:
  17. red baron

red baron
    from o'side

I "read" the same thing you did! hahaha!

18. ...fish tacos...I will give that a shot. Are they as common as a hot dog stand in Chicago? Or just a select few hot spots....I guess I will find out.

The swap meet sounds like a winner.

Escondido will be hit, but unfortunetly not on Friday for the cruise...getting in late.

This is great...I have a lot to map out! THANKS!!!!!!!!!

19. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

neat "san diego" places to eat i would suggest:

1) Peohes in Coronado surf and turf rolls (steak and lobster sushi) view of bay
    2) Bali Hai in Shelter Island (request a window seat) view of bay
    3) Pacific Shores in Ocean Beach, bar with mexican seafood

wouldn't say these are the best places to eat in san diego, but all 3 are spots that probably be a bit different and neat to eat at. ocean views and listed in order of highest priced to lowest

car wise, come to the big 3 period.

20. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

are fish tacos common? now thats funny

21. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

carne asada burritos in san diego would be like hotdogs in chicago

22. El Gordo

El Gordo

Drove down 2 years ago and Loved it!
    Here is what we hit as tourists
    If you are with the Mrs. check out the harbor cruise (boat not car)
    http://www.hornblower.com/hce/home/sd

Also Sea Port Village - it's on the harbor and lots of cool shops
    and yes - we had fish tacos there.
    http://www.seaportvillage.com/visitors/

Walk East from the village alongside the huge Marina
    and the end of the marina is Embarcadero Park that juts out into the harbor.
    On this is Joe's Crab Shack and a real cool hot dog stand that serves mostly the fishermen on the wharf. We had a dog and beer, sat and watched the big ships go by the fishermen. That was pretty cool for an ol' prairie boy:cool:

Now these things I mentioned will get shot down by the locals but I liked them as a tourist.
    I live near West Edmonton Mall (North Americas Largest) and after putting a tractor-trailer in there 5 days a week for 5 years I'm just a LITTLE JADED about the place but I bite my lip when I get asked about it by out-of-towners.:D

23. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

the hornblower dinner cruise is a great suggestion, can't believe i didn't mention that...

you can take a pedi-cab or walk from the hornblower to seaport village

24. Special Ed

Special Ed

[​IMG]
    Beginning to cater to yuppies, but recently still voted San Diego's "Best Dive Bar".

25. jeepfink

jeepfink
    from So Cal

The Tin Fish in the Gaslamp right across from the convention center/Seaport village, Great fish and super fresh!
    The Big 3 swap meet really is The VERY VERY best the is in So Cal!
    We are going Friday,but we have always gone Saturday always find great stuff.

26. ...alright...getting pumped up....will be there in less than 24. If you see any nailhead spark plug covers...don't touch them! There mine!=)

27. lmte11

lmte11

Check out the Tilted Kilt in downtown/gaslamp by Petco Park (where Padres play).

28. ...San Diego is great! Got rained out on Saturday, but managed to stay inside...went to Stone (wild...not like any brewery I have ever been too....good stuff), Green Flash..love their operation, and Lost Abbey....good god-love those belgian beers! Got a bottle of Angle Share to stash away till next spring.

No swap meet...yes, the most improtant thing! !@#%#. Last year, I went through Santa Rosa and managed to hit Russian River, but missed Vern Tardel's place......my travels need some work. It is like going to heaven and not getting any face time with Jesus...I hope to hit Cali again soon...I guess a leave alot left open for another trip.

Thanks for all the tips! I can see why people love southern california...good vibes all the way around.