Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flat Head Water Temp Gauge...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fifty5C-Gas, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Fifty5C-Gas

Fifty5C-Gas

What do ya'll run 1 gauge or 2, and is either way better than the other??. My stock gauge isnt working so I want to put one in, but I dont know if I should run 1 or 2. Thanks,Mike

2. jmikee

jmikee
    from washington

I run 2 SW 2 5/8 gauges. only went thru 4 to get 2 good ones.
    Good luck

3. HELLMET

HELLMET

me two im on my 3rd temp gauge

4. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC

I have the original gauge on one side, and a second aftermarket gauge on the other.

5. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used to run two, only because the bolck didnt have a common water passsage. It didnt realy prove anything. So now just run one autometer gauge. In the original set up apparently the second sender wasnt a sender it was just a thermal switch to actuate the sender. If you want you could run one gauge and plug the second sender hole with a screw in moon type temp gauge.

6. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

Kiwi 4d is correct about the original set up. One side gives you an actual temperature read out and the other gives just an overtemp indication. Since the left and right cylinder banks are independent of each other the only way you can get an overall temp reading with one gauge is if the temp bulb was in the top of the radiator tank and of couse it wouldn't work if the water level was too low. Only other way to know for sure is two separate temp guages in each bank. To repair the original system for one gauge would not be too dificult. I see NOS and used gauges an the E-pay as well as the single and twin trminal temp bulbs. If converted to 12-volt, a voltage dropping device would be required.

Kerby

7. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

After chasing an overheating problem that turned out to be a bad sending unit I installed two mechanical gauges and made a mount for under the dash. Engine never goes over 180°.

8. I have an intermittent stock one, and an aftermarket SW under the dash. The SW only monitors one side, but I kinda figure if one side gets way hotter than the other, you were gonna have issues either way.

9. Pete1930

Pete1930
    from Boston

I'm planning 2 mechanical temp gauges, one for each side.

Pete

10. barry wny

barry wny

I have been doing 2 in my projects. I have new cheezy ones on my test stand but get old ones out of trucks and on the 'bay, check em with a meat thermometer.

11. Fifty5C-Gas

Fifty5C-Gas

Sounds good, thanks guys.

12. lionsgarage

lionsgarage
    from Washington

What about early looking electric gauges and 2 sending units? could toggle between senders or connect them both, it would read the hightest one so no worries.

13. Fifty5C-Gas

Fifty5C-Gas

Sounds like a good option, thanks.

14. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I run 2 classic instruments temp gauges. Never had a problem with them. Sure is nice knowing which thermostat is sticking!