Register now to get rid of these ads!

i neeeeeed help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by customrod, Feb 21, 2010.

1. customrod

customrod

hi guys i have a 58 ford that runs abit on the hot side about 190deg to 195deg it has a 400m clevo in it with 302 heads about 10.5:1 comp runnin on lpg gas (propane).it has a huge 4 core xflow radiator twin thermo fans,timing has been done on the dyno has the coolest thermostat i could get and ive drilled 4 holes in it.on cool days it runs around 180deg wich is fine but as soon as the weather warms up so does it ....
    any help would be greatly apreiciated as i am gettin to the end of my fuse with it ready to pull it out and throw it to the shithouse
    cheers...

2. harrydude

harrydude
    from ab

biggerst thing I read is the fans???

can you post a picture???

do you have a shroud?? do the fans cover the whole rad???
    is the rad clean???
    is the fans push or pull???

need a little more info

thanks

also what is the mix in the rad?
    you can also ad a race product called water wetter,,, it highers the boiling point

look in to the race car area for heat isuues

3. The Hank

The Hank
    from CO

does it havve a shroud?

4. 195 is NO problem at all.

5. customrod

customrod

its got two large thermo fans that cover the whole radiator its a pull set up.no i dont have a shroud

6. customrod

customrod

what temp would u start bein woried at ???

7. SchlottyD

SchlottyD

Anything over about 230 is when u need to start thinking about shutting her down. As mentioned before water wetter is a damn good product that works, I've run it in circle track and drag cars and in both situations dropped temps by about 20 degrees. By the way, is the engine bored?

8. customrod

customrod

yeh its bored out 020" so that should be fine

9. duste01

duste01

drilling holes defeats the purpose of separating coolant that needs to be cooled as opposed to coolant that has been cooled. And thats not really "too hot" but get a shroud.

10. 40streetrod

40streetrod
    from nj

400 M (modified - cleveland) with 302 heads ?
    may I ask what 302 heads are you running on a 400 M block?
    BOSS 302 heads or 302 Windsor? something just doesn't sound right here,
    please explain.
    thanks

11. customrod

customrod

302 clevo heads mate

12. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

there is no such thing as 302 cleveland heads.i95 isnt that hot,i do like mine in the 165-185 range.what deg.thermastat are you running?it should be running a 195deg in it.also lp should be running really cool,but it also has to be hot enough to heat the lp so it doesnt freeze.i guess i have herd of people putting cleveland heads on a 302{boss}is this what your running?pics.and yes put a fan shroud in it

13. skidsteer

skidsteer

Boiling point of water goes up when under pressure, so can get hotter before it boils.

14. I would have the radiator flushed out and buy a new cap.

15. tdoty

tdoty

Seems some folks think Ford only made engines in the US. I'm pretty sure there was an Aussie made "Clevor" 302..........................I don't think I'm imagining it.

Tim D.

16. George

George

Ford Australia made 302 Clevelands, they're not Clevors. 302C is same as a 351C we have here, just with a 3" stroke crank & 6" rods. I often run 190 thermostats, cylendar wear is a lot less than if a 160-170 is used.

17. Crease

Crease

I agree that 195 is no problem.

Assuming you just gotta hit 180. Does it run at 180 on the highway? If not, probably not a fan in the world that will get it there.

18. nutajunka

nutajunka

Heat doesn't sound to bad, but I like 180 to just for a little margin also. Where is the tem. sensor located and is it correct? Do my old shop rag trick if those fans have a built on shroud arond them. Put a shop rag on the front of the raditor at idle with the fans on and see if it can suck it flat to the radiator. Does it cool down driving down the road?

19. Just a thought, how good is the water pump? some are better than others, how old is the pump?, the impellas could be rusting away.
    Has it been like it since you bought it or built it?
    Cheers, Waz.

20. Fiddytree

Fiddytree
    from Durango

Hope you are running a Cleveland t'stat, not a Windsor t'stat!

21. Not sure why we are worried about running at 195*F
    You can run it up to 230*F if you really want to (It runs more efficiently) and still be almost 20*F from the boiling point with a 15# cap.

22. Gasser57

Gasser57

302 Cleveland is an Aussie engine, just like a 351 Cleveland. Your combo sound as if it should work fine, so check to see if the fans are moving the air in the right direction, and the water pump is spinning the right direction. I'm not positive, but on small block Fords, they changed rotation in the early 80's when they switched to serpentine belts. The Aussie motors may have a similar issue where the pump bolts on, but doesn't rotate the right way. Other than checking those, it sounds as if it should be fine. I wouldn't worry about the temp until you're at 220 on a real hot day. Good Luck!

23. customrod

customrod

yeh there is buddy im in australia the 302 heads have a smaller combustion chamber about 56 cc from memory that along with oversize valves and a port clean up makes 4 a nice package so no it isnt a boss.

24. customrod

customrod

yeh water pump is brand new mate :)

25. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

sorry about saying there wasnt a 302 cleveland.i have been into ford all my life and i never herd of one.do you have any pics?so are they small bore bigblocks?some of my friends use to put the clevelands in there mustangs but they didnt like to rev up like my windser pluse they were way heavy and big!!!

26. George

George

As I posted earlier, they are the same as the US 351C except for having a 3" stroke & 6" rods. Put in a 351 crank & rods & you have a 351C. Thier heads have some revisions that make them a bit better than ours.

27. George

George

Aussie Cs If you comment was the 400s are big & heavy, they are! Have been a few threads on how to wake them up.

28. pinstriper ny

pinstriper ny

are the fans in the right direction are they large enough if all fails use a fluid that will lower the temp.

29. Thorkle Rod

Thorkle Rod

Does it get hotter on the higway at speed or does it get hotter when idling. If it's getting hotter at idle you would most likley have a fan or shroud air movement problem. If it's at highway speed then I would check out the things that make the water flow. You say when the weather is warmer it gets hot, how warm is the outside temperature when it's running hotter?

Being that you are down under maybe the water is going the opposite direction :)

30. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Yep, if it ain't puking the coolant, chill out and drive it.

I don't understand the logic of drilling holes in the thermostat.