Register now to get rid of these ads!

another title rant

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodnailhead, Feb 19, 2010.

1. So I'm replacing the body on my coupester with a coupe body that I bought here on the hamb. I jumped through all the legal flaming hoops and inspections to get the original bonded $$ title work completed on my coupester several years ago. Keep in mind that Arizona requires the vin to be placed on the body of the vehicle. There are no markings on the frame.

I want to complete the title work on the new coupe body "legally" and do the swap and there are several ways to complete this portion of the transaction... so here's the rub...

The state wants me to file a "dismantled" title for my coupester body so that I can use the chassis for the new body. This causes the body to be essentially scrap for anyone wanting to purchase it. The only way to renew the title is to remove the vin (felony) and apply for a new vin. This is unacceptable. I know there are other ways to circumvent the system, Like a grey market title…etc. But I’m trying to do the right thing here.

Their reasoning; "is it is for your own protection"... "Really? How’s that?" I asked... Their reply; "If the new owner takes your good titled body and places it onto a stolen frame and gets caught, it will come back to you." WHAT?! There is a flaw in that reasoning... if I did my due diligence to legally title the car in AZ and I decide to sell it and file a sold notice (with or without a frame) what is to stop someone from taking ANY car I sell and placing the body on a stolen frame? Why is that MY problem? WTF... idiots.

So now I'm thinking that a title service may be my only method for maintaining the value of the coupester body. Maybe the tax money is better spent in a state that has already figured out that this title crap is stupid. The criminals still make out and the law abiding folks pay and pay.

So why does the state make it so difficult to pay my due taxes to the appropriate state?

2. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Sounds like you need to move to another state! Note to self, "Don't move to Arizona"!

3. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

Whenever someone, especially the the government, does something to "help" or "protect" you 99% of the time it means they really want more of your money.

4. Swap the bodies and keep driving. Anybody buying the coupester will prob have frame numbers anyway.

5. rustyhood

rustyhood

Man.......all the bull they put people through just trying to do the right thing!
    Good luck!

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just a quick question. Would it be possible to cut a section out around where the vin tag is installed on the Coupster and swap sections with the coupe body? Swapping patch for patch? It would take some careful work but their original way of fastening it to the body would be intact that way.

7. tdoty

tdoty

Since there are no numbers on the frame, you're willing to jump through hoops and you have a title for the coupester body, why not just get a new title for the coupe and sell the coupester body with the title?

Or are you looking to avoid the hoops to title the coupe?

Tim D.

8. Well, like I said... I'm trying to do the right thing... But they sure are making it make sense to not do the right thing.

9. The issue is not getting a title for my car. There are several different ways to do that. The issue is that they want to issue a "dismantled" title for the coupster. That is the part I find unacceptable.

10. That is against the law.

11. mkilger

mkilger
    BANNED

the less info you give the DMV the better

12. jcs64

jcs64

Thats what I was thinking, Dont offer more info than needed.

They dont need to know about the coupster. Put that body and title to the side (or sell it if thats what you want to do), and then do the same paper work you had to do for the coupster but this time your doing it for the coupe.
    You say they only go by body #'s and not any frame # so they shouldnt have anyway of knowing that the chassis you are using used to belong to your old car.

Play dumb and work on there level

Jeff

13. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

I'm dealing with this in Utah right now, and the one thing I learned that is more important than anything is DO NOT DEAL WITH THE SAME PERSON TWICE! Everybody there makes their own interpretation of the law, so if you can find someone that likes you the chances are good that you can inject some of your own interpretations and get things done. I was just able to circumvent a HUGE problem simply by going to someone new at the DMV and laying on the charm. The old lady loved me and I got exactly what I wanted, despite two other people telling me yesterday that it's not possible. So, if you can stomach flirting with the old lady (or old man!::eek:) at the DMV, you're chances just went up!

Good luck man, it's a pain!

14. Ravenwood

Ravenwood
    from Texas

Well, some of those hints may have worked, but now? The Arizona DMV has a spy at this site... sigh. :D

15. I would guess that the regs were written with the $$$$ in mind (I'm an accountant). The dismantled title will likely require the new owner or whoever titles the pieces next to file for a specially constructed vehicle. The "specially constructed registration" usually has series of lines that ask purchase price of the engine, transmission, body, and all related new and/or used components....

I would guess that registration for the some of the parts generates more revenue that a transfered title.

Good Luck

16. metalman

metalman

I find it VERY worth going to an independent title service instead of the DMV. For what little they charge they save tons of grief, it's like they WANT to help you instead of the normal "make it difficult" game the state employee's play. I'm assuming you have independent title agents in Az?

17. kenagain

kenagain
    from so cal

sell it out of state calif does not title bodies they use frame n engine numbers

18. 1959apache

1959apache

the less info the better. In order to get my Plymouth coupe titled (which it had never been registered anywhere in the US because it was a farm vehicle) I had to do some things that wouldn't be considered the "right way" to do things, but I had to because I cant afford to pay 500 bucks or more for a vehicle's title in my name. They tried to charge me like 400 something dollars because it hadnt been registered at all so they tried to charge me late fees since 1940. So just do what you have to do to get it titled with a normal title.

19. The less said on a public forum about what one might or might not do to skirt any legal or questionable issues in their state the better. Doing so is like sticking your hands out to have the cuffs applied. Anyone with issues in their state would be better served by getting a current copy of the applicable laws.

That said, the less you volunteer the better off you will probably be. Also remember that the whole DMV system is constructed to maximize revenue production, not to make your life easier. And, last, the reason they give everyone a ration of shit is because they can!

20. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

I can't imagine ever dismantling titled hot rod to build another one. If you don't need two cars, sell the Coupster and move on. Somebody will like it.

21. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

IMO, so long as I am not looking to lie, cheat, steal, kill, or defraud, (this means my intentions are honorable) something like this situation needs to be dealt with in the most effective way to GET THE JOB DONE.

"Getting the job done" ain't typically one of the governments strong points.

Honest is honest, technicalities be damned.

I am not saying to be a dumbass, BUT I am also saying don't be a dumbass.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  22. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

What is the body description on title.....Model A coupster? roadster? 2-door? sedan? truck? Does it really matter if it has a roof or not? It's an old car thats not stolen, it's yours. I'd switch vin tags and never look back.

23. RichG

RichG

If the VIN is on the body...swap bodies, get a title for the new body, save the old body and title. What's wrong with doing that? You're not lying, cheating, or circumventing anything by doing that. You'll have a running car and a project car, pretty much what you have now, but now they'll both be titled.

Maybe I missed something 'cause this seems pretty straightforward and honest to me?

24. skullhat

skullhat

agreed!

skull

25. if the old body is the titled unit who cares if you switch frames as it has no direct link to old body so put new body on old frame and go through the same bonded title procedure as old body but if asked tell them this frame came under new body! this way old body keeps bonded title and is still useable in the future. go to different dmv office and you should be fine.