Register now to get rid of these ads!

Generator question?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 52chevydeluxePDX, Feb 19, 2010.

1. 52chevydeluxePDX

52chevydeluxePDX

So on my 50' Buick, she still has her original generator. (yes unbelievable) but it only has 28k miles on it)
    I've noticed when its idoling the amperage indicator for the generator stays right in the middle @ zero. Then when I give it gas it goes all the way to "charge" and stays there till i'm a stop again. I did a test today while driving I turned on the lights and the heater and it didn't go down. Then when I came to a stop it went below zero to "discharge"

Anyway, its charging and seems to be working, but I don't remember it doing this..
    what do ya think?

2. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

Sounds like a generator to me.

3. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

4. brad chevy

brad chevy

You are not old enough to remember the generator lite coming on at idle mostly due to loose belt or to low of idle,a generator is just that.it makes power the faster it spins,if idling up a litte bit doesn"t help you might have some worn down brushes,but just sounds like typical generator doing its job.

5. R Pope

R Pope

That's the way they are. If it bugs you, set the idle up more.

6. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

The faster a generator spins the more you get out of it. at idol nothing is generated. You have a regulator that acts like a switch. That is why it jumps to a charge all at once.

7. trainguy

trainguy
    from pa

Sounds like either your battery is not fully charged,or your voltage reg needs adjustment.The work just like a alternator when your battery is charged the regulator cuts the charge rate as to not damage the system by overcharging.Phil

8. McGuireV10

McGuireV10
    from Jax,FL

I don't know about you guys, but this absolutely is not normal generator behavior:

At *idle* mine is always in the discharge range. I'm guessing this is what he's asking about...

9. dbradley

dbradley

First thing I'd do is make sure all the cables are clean and tight. Then I'd have the battery load tested. The FULL charge indication is not normal. The negative indication at idle with lights on is normal. My guess is battery, maybe plates sulfated. This is caused by lack of use and will prevent a FULL charge.

10. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

My guess is that this is not your daily driver so the battery is probably not fully charged. If the battery is a little low from lack of use it will pull a heavy charge when reved up.

With nothing on but the ignition the needle will stay very close to middle until it is reved up. Try watching the needle while turning on the switch. It probably will twitch...normal. That's not enough draw to make a large needle movement. With the lights on the draw and the needle movement will be evident.

I doubt that you have a problem. It may take a good long drive for the generator to bring the battery up to fully charged. Especially if it has been started repeatedly without a drive to replenish the battery.

With a fully charged battery the needle will go to full charge after starting and slowly return toward the center as the generator restores the battery charge if you keep the revs up...as in driving it.

Check the fluid level in the battery and drive it.:D JMHO

11. squirrel

squirrel

What do you remember it doing? If something has changed, then you might have a problem.

also how old is the battery? how often does the car get driven? does it always start easily?