Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bakelite

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by magnuman, Feb 5, 2010.

1. I think I have found a source for black bakelite, but I was more interested in the colors that I have seen used for jewelery.
    Unfortunateley, I have looked at what a heavy bangle bracelet would cost and they are way out of the price range to cut up and use.

2. Mucha Muchacha

Mucha Muchacha

They are not making Bakelite in the US anymore. it is only produced over seas for industrial applications for heat resistant casing type things. My daily example is the housing for my hair clippers, it is even still made with Bakelite! If you like the vintage colors you get out of old bracelets and such many of them(depending on the color) changed colors over time. Example..browns were once purple! You can find collections of old bakelite rods on ebay from time to time, that is your best source as far as vintage goes to make them yourself. As for new, they are resin based plastics that are made in the US in every color of the rainbow, minus the toxic chemicals that aren't used here anymore. They look just like bakelite and feel like it. I would look at industrial Plastic fabricators or into the custom costume Jewelry business.(you can get stuff cast to your specs)! good luck!

Bigcheese327 likes this.