Register now to get rid of these ads!

how to duplicate a vinyl top look?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hillbillyhellcat, Feb 17, 2010.

1. hillbillyhellcat

hillbillyhellcat

I am redoing a non-HAMB friendly car that has 32K on it and is rust free except for the rust under the vinyl top. I peeled the top off and am going to have to do some rust repairs, though minor... I really like the vinyl top look on this car but would prefer NOT to put another top on it, due to rust issues and simply having to PAY someone else to do it. I was thinking of duplicating the textured "look" but not the "feel" with applying two shades of green with textured rollers and flattener?

Any other cool ideas, that is, besides spraying the roof with chip gaurd... :mad:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1561058&l=eb50aaa752&id=613661634

2. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Judging by the frowny face emoticon, you already know the correct answer to this is to put a vinyl top back on the car. I think it's totally wrong, but will tell you that if you roll on a couple coats of truck bed liner, from 50 feet it'll look JUST like a vinyl top. Run some of that double sided trim tape down the top where the original seams were, it'll be pretty convincing. Any closer than 50 feet, it'll look like you rolled on truck bed liner from Wal Mart...

I'll deny I suggested this if asked...

Brian

3. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

yer not really thinking of doing that...are you?

4. just flake it out and swear to people is a rare factory 50's model custom.

5. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

LOL, if he does, I'm totally denying any responsibility! Some guy over here painted an entire late 40's Ford coupe with bed liner. It's real nice...

6. hillbillyhellcat

hillbillyhellcat

Yeah... I was considering flaking the roof, but I think it would kind of ruin the grandpa's car look.... Hmmm...

7. vertible59

vertible59

At one time, there were kits available to do this deed. Such kits were intended to be sprayed on. Needless to say, the desired result was difficult to obtain and the finished product sorta resembled a greased pig rolled in small gravel.

8. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Flake it..dont fake it

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  9. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Back in the '80s, Dupont still marketed a spray on vinyl top finish called "1 2 3 ", but I'm sure that it's been discontinued for years.

10. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

we have a 58 Chevy in the Midwest Gassers that used the bedliner trick. I looks damn good!

11. Kerry67

Kerry67

Grandpa doesn't dig Flake ?

12. millersgarage

millersgarage

put the vinyl back on, nothing else will be right, and a huge PITA to change after you realise it looks awfull with chip guard sprayed on the roof

13. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

your not seriously gonna fuck that car up by putting truck liner on the roof are you? if that car is as clean as it looks in the pictures, why wouldn't you just spend the 3 or 4 hundred bucks and do it right? besides if clint eastwood knew you were gonna do that to a torino, he'd probably put a few hollow points in yer ass!

14. vinyl tops are a no no

15. Bluefoot

Bluefoot

a friend did the kit on his 56 chey, but that was like in 1966, a long time ago, lol

16. LOWCAB

LOWCAB
    from Houston

Just do a two-tone paint job on it. What color was/is the car now?What color was the vinyl top? Just going with the dual tone look would give the look/feel of a vinyl top without the texture.

17. Kerry67

Kerry67

Strange how this thread has stayed open or nobody is crying it is not a Traditional HAMB car......

18. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

Put the vinyl back on after you treat the roof for rust, nothing will look the same. I think your cost fro a new vinal roof would be comparable to the bedliner anyhow. The roof on my Satellite was only a couple of hundred

19. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Wallpaper it, maybe a nice brick pattern ?

20. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I didn't look at the photo before. That Torino is WAY to nice a car to cobble up. Do it right, fer cry'n out loud. Flake would be as wrong on that as Rhinoliner. Unless, you've got a matching Bass Boat...

21. BJR

BJR

I used some spray on vinyl top stuff in the early 1970's. The kit came with Vinyl strips that glued to the roof with 2 sided tape to simulate the seams, then the vinyl was sprayed on over it. It really didn't look too bad. But that was in the 1970's and people wore bell bottoms & afro's.

22. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

This is the correct answer... If you treat the bare roof with an etch primer and seal/paint it before you install the replacement vinyl roof covering, you wont have any rust problems. It's the only way to fix the car...... Anything else is just hacking it up....

In the 60's we would use industrial wrinkle finish to simulate a vinyl roof. A couple of layers of 1/4" tape where the seems would've been and it looked pretty close to a vinyl top. Problem was when the guy got tired of it and discovered the true meaning of the word "industrial".... almost impossible to get it off.....

23. the-rodster

the-rodster

There is a time and place to save some cash, this aint one of them.

Rich

24. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

^^^^^^^^Ha! ha! ha! X2^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

25. Left Turn

Left Turn
    Member Emeritus
    from Omaha, NE

Oh dear lord.....

I read about another guy trying this on a site dedicated to GM G-Bodies..... It's just wrong..

Save up some dough and do it right... You'd be out of your fuckin' mind if you put bedliner on the roof a torino.. or any car for that matter..

26. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I hear you can dupicate the vinyl top look real easy..by putting a vinyl top back on it.

27. hillbillyhellcat

hillbillyhellcat

You guys are cracking me up.. :)

Let's put it this way... I hate vinyl tops, but I like the look of the tu-tone paint... I don't want to bedliner spray on the roof, the car is really nice... I am repainting it the orginal color with maybe just a hint of more metallic and was thinking of doing the top a darker green, like it is now... but it would match the interior...

What I was asking, are there any paint techniques that could be a grained effect?

28. Swifster

Swifster

Your car, your money, but seriuosly it'll just look like ass. Do it right and put the vinyl top back on it. If you want two-tone, get a '50's car or a late '70's or early '80's car. There is a reason Ford didn't offer two-tone on that car. It wouldn't look good.

29. hillbillyhellcat

hillbillyhellcat

And I mean, a grain "look", not a grain "feel"...

30. hillbillyhellcat

hillbillyhellcat

I guess you're right... I'll have to decide...