Register now to get rid of these ads!

Qtr Elliptic Spring Perch mystery like Lochness

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by realkustom51, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Jamin

Jamin
    from Australia

I don't think an axle would have enough beef to allow for an articulating mount. You could run a mount through a greased bush, but the shear, twisting, and thrust forces would soon wear it out. I think that the options for mounting this type of spring is limited so the designs discussed here are a trade off, but probably a safe one.

I like the second design, just be sure to radius the corner of the shank to the main body to eliminate stress risers. If machining on a CNC specify a thread chamfer on the run out of the thread, for those who may not know what this is, it is when the threading tool is gradually pulled out on the x-axis when it gets to the end of thread. Again reducing the chance of a stress riser.

2. tdoty

tdoty

It might just be easier to design in a way to allow the twist without affecting the bolt........say with some bronze bushings and a cotter pinned nut. Realkustom51's finned aluminum mount sure looks a ton cooler though!

Tim D.

3. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Check Posie's site. They already incorporate a spherical ball arrangement in thier heavy duty 1/4 eliptic spring setup.

Frank

4. You're talking abut the pivoting shackles right? My only problem with them is how bulky they are, most of these designs are meant to hide close behind the axle, except realkustom51's finned clamp, but that thing would just be cool looking.

5. If you make those, I'll buy a couple sets!

6. Haha, you could make the back halves all the same and have a bunch of different front styles as long as the basic bolt pattern is the same, guess you should quit your job, invest in some cnc equipment and start popping these out.

7. Im like-ing this one alot !!

How about some calipers to match

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  8. tdoty

tdoty

I hope to be able to go pick up one of my axles from storage so I can try my hand at some development on this project too.

The biggest issue I see is that they might end up being specific to a certain model axle. What differences are there in the measurements betwen say an A axle and a '48? Besides width.

Tim D.

9. Gr8lite

Gr8lite
    from Maine

I am also up against the same thoughts in my pea brain. However I have decided that I am going to go back to my Jeep building days. I am going to weld 2 of these on my 40 Ford front axle for my T bucket.
    http://www.rubiconexpress.com/BuilderParts/Product.aspx?part=RE3795
    They will allow plenty of pivot . I will most likely be running the spring shackle upward.
    Thanks!

10. Holy old thread!!! How about running a Johnny Joint with the shank so you can bolt them through the axle rather than welding??

11. LB+1

LB+1
    from 71291

What is a "Johnny Joint" have a laugh on me I don't know? :eek:

12. LB+1

LB+1
    from 71291

:eek::eek: Damn, I need to sit in the corner far a long while!!

I have been enlightened, thank you

13. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Yeah, those are pretty interesting, seems like a good idea, I don't get out much though....

14. tdoty

tdoty

Happened to see a Posie's ad tonight that made me think of this thread. Anyone seen the new shackles for their quarter-elliptic kit? Looks a lot like a shackle with a Johnny Joint in it.

edit: Oops, someone already mentioned that last year. I hadn't seen them until tonight. Shows how much attention I pay.

Tim D.

15. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

so has anyone actually made one of these yet?