Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. GARYK

GARYK

MercuryJunky; Thanks. I haven't seen the video Weekend Warriors. Do you know where I can get one? ( if not I'll search). There seems to be more pictures of the 65 car than the 64 car although they look close. This is before Ed Rachanski cut off the top and made it into a Roadster for Match Racing. He said Match Racing paid better. We also have a B/FX 65 Red/Red 2X4 289 car. Unfortunately we do not have any race history on this car. GARYK

2. GARYK

GARYK

Roy; Thanks for looking for the Rachanski 64 A/FX pictures. Evidently the Marauder car wasn't photographed a lot either when Ed Rachanski drove or when Gary Dyer drove before his move to Mr. Norm. GARYK

3. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Gary

It was a VHS tape I picked up in Ohio about 6 years ago,Not sure where to buy one now, but I was able to copy it on DVD.Send me your address in a personal message and I'll mail you a copy.

I'll try and post the clip on here if I can figure that out.

Ken

4. 65COMET

65COMET

Ken;have you had a chance to run the Cammer again? I'm still in total THRASH mode trying to get the Comet ready for the March Meet!!!!! ROY.

5. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Roy just picked it back up today.By the way I'll get a check or money order for your parts this week.

Found out the compression on it is between 9.3 and 9.7,Just a little disappointing.I was told it was higher when I picked it up.I'm finding it harder and harder to trust anyone from OHIO.I'll leave it at that.I'll tell you the whole story on the side sometime.

After hearing this I wasnt expecting much.Fixed the rocker adjusters and got it running again.I was supprised to get with a set of Repop Factory style 715 holleys 615 HP @ 7000.

Decided to go ahead and run some time with the actual holley 780's that come stock on a cammer and see.I thought it might be too much for this altitude but to my surprise the old sohc liked them better. 635 HP @ 7000

All in all not too bad for a pump gas engine.I'm really amazed, the cubic inch is about 436 basic stock stuff,It's almost like you can throw some cammer stuff on an old truck engine and get over 600 horse.Ford enginers were way ahead of there time.Its too bad Nascar refused to accept the engine for track use.With the push of competition in Nascar there is no telling how far the cammer would have been developed.Dual overhead design? A factory car may have recieved some as an actual engine option,Who knows the boss 429 may have never been

[​IMG]

6. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

ROY

After watching the Winternationals last night I wish I was going to the march meet. Are you going to try and hit Drag Fest also?

7. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Jim Amos just posted this on you tube.Some great shots of Eddie Shartman. Just listen to the 65 drive on by cackling AWESOME

[​IMG]

8. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Did find out that the 64 Black comet with the red top running at the Indy nationals was the Wynn Engineering comet.Anyone with any pics of it?

9. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Vintage pic of the day.

[​IMG]

10. TunnelBolt

TunnelBolt

Ken; The video of Eddie Shartman in his '65 Comet running Al Joniek in the A/FX '65 Mustang was filmed at Vargo Dragway, The track closed in 1969, and it still looks the same, I live 20 miles from there. I was at the reunion in November, for it being closed for 40 years, I took my '65 Comet there and was given an original Vargo Dragway trophy, thought that was cool.

11. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Now that is way cool.Did you get some pics of your car at the starting line?At least its still there to see , a couple of the old tracks around here are gone forever.

12. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

13. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

14. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

15. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

16. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Heres another vid of Hayden Proffitt That Jim Amos put on You Tube.Cool stuff to watch.All the credit to Jim for getting some history on tape.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

The Mopar springs are actually sized different. The pin center on a Chrysler spring is shorter than most other manufacture's to the front spring eye. On my Comet, when you look at the new perch mount, its directly under the old stock mount, but the rear suspension is actually moved forward 4 1/2" inches. I love how a Mopar spring works. It just plants and goes, no spring wrap-up, no ladder bars, Cal-Tracs, nothing. They spent a bit of time back in the sixties perfecting their set-up, so I figure why try to re-invent the wheel. Its just my take on some vintage tricks.

For dimensions, I've found alot of info in some of the older build-up books, available through various sources. But, if I can help, I have quite a few leaf spring set-ups I've accumulated over the past few years. The collection grows.

18. 65COMET

65COMET

Ken;some great stuff!!! I met Hayden Proffit when he had his 63 Chevy at the CHRR a couple of years back.Did you catch the videos of Steve's Dyno Don,65 Comet that were linked under the interview? ROY

19. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Roy

I did see Steves car,I have about half his vids in my favorites page in my you tube account.I looked through his uploads looking for a Vargo clip but couldnt find one.Hes killing me with all those tracks hes already raced on.You and I need to do an east coast tour.We will bring Fast eddie to change out spark plugs and such.Heres a clip of Steves car practicing at Cecil Dragway.Funny I just watched Jim Amos's Cecil Dragway DVD just last week,Tons of History at that track.

Steve Good Job and keep the vids comming.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  20. If you guys decide to come east your welcome to park your rigs at my place. I have plenty of parking area for the truck and trailer and the cars can go in the shop. It would be great to have you guys here racing this summer!!

I'm 60 miles from Cecil County Dragway, 60 miles from Mason Dixon Dragway and 30 miles from 75-80 Dragway. Atco is only a couple of hours along with Beaver Springs Dragway. The big York US30/Nostalgia Super Stocker Nats is July 10-11, 2010. It's worth the trip!! :D

21. Ken,
    Where did these shots come from?

22. 65COMET

65COMET

Jody;it kills me that we[Southern California]are down to two 1/4 and two 1/8 mile tracks.The closest 1/4s are California Speedway,about an hour and half and Bakersfield at about two and a half hours.We used two have 8 or more in about a 130 mile radius!I have thought about doing the trip East to race as Steve and Jim keep sending me info and videos.My Comet has a stroker small block so I don't think I could race N/SS,the rest of the car fits the rules.Thanks for the storage offer. ROY

23. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Jody

I scanned that picture out of a Muscle car review mag.It just says annual 2005 on it.

The pic was taken at the Winternats in which Ronnie and Buddy won Factory Stock eliminator.It also says they won a new Barracuda that they had to sell just to get back home.Now thats a road trip.

Theres a great article on the McCoy mercury in it.I was able to scan a small picture.Having trouble with the bic pics in it.There is also a big two page pic of A starting line shot at the 64 winternats with three comets in it.Too big for my scanner I'll try and take a pic of it and post.

I'm really trying for the York 30,Hopfully a bunch of us west coast guys can make a trip out of it

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  24. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

[​IMG]

Heres the one scan of the McCoy Comet

25. You could run Junior Stock at the Beaver Springs/US 30 race. It is very close to NSS format. It is mainly for cars that don't quite fit NSS like yours. The offer is open if you can make it. I'm off for two weeks in July so we could hit them all!!:D

26. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

27. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

28. What did the wagon say on the tailgate, "See your Mercury Dealer"? Never saw it from behind.

29. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Alright Roy Lets Do it.

You get the Cali guys and I'll get the Colo guys and lets get our asses out there.

30. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

I believe thats what it says,I cant find a better pic.Heres when Eddie got it and it looks like he took it off.Looks like Eddie added the stripes over the top

[​IMG]