Register now to get rid of these ads!

Check out theses "Donks"!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rudebaker, Feb 11, 2010.

1. George

George

Saw a van on Power Tour done in railroad motif with a cow catcher on it.

2. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

the hell ya doing up at 3 in the morn dallas!>?????? your old remember!?:D
    great story btw!:)

3. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

The Dolly was the original steam train that ran through here, then last version of it was a "Doodlebug" so you DO remember it! :D They tore our tracks out in the 80's. They used to store one of those little track cars in a shed here but the last years they used trucks with the added steel wheels.

I was watching a RR video about Midwest RR's on TV awhile back and they had a segment on the M & StL that showed a steam locomotive crossing the trestle at Keithsburg. 50 years ago railroads crisscrossed the county, now there isn't a single one left and except for the depots you'd be hard pressed to find any sign of them.

I think I know the yard you are talking about and if I do at least part of it was till there a few years ago, all grown up with trees and brush but when the leaves are off you can still see the cars back in there. I'll have to slip down there when I get a chance and see if anything is left.

My wife got me a DVD set of "Sky King" and I just picked up the full set of "Highway Patrol" Now THAT is some traditional stuff! If you want to see "new" 50's cars in action I highly recommend it.

4. HellRaiser

HellRaiser
    from Podunk, NE

One day in the future, you too will have to get up in the middle of the night.:(

HellRaiser

5. HellRaiser

HellRaiser
    from Podunk, NE

Rudebaker,

Now I could tell you a story or three about that trestle over there in Keithsburg. That was another place we used to go to when I was in my younger years. We would go across to about the middle. Jump in the ole river. The river current is about 4 to 6 mph, so by the time we swam to shore, we could come out right there at Keithsburg, where the beach used to be.

Another day, another story about going up and down the Mississipi river in Skip Jacks.

HellRaiser

6. Love the maintenance cars. They used to call the passenger cars doodlebugs or Goose. Here's one that's still in operation at the railroad museum in Golden, CO.

[​IMG]

They've got two, both powered by Ford Flatheads, run on the old Rio Grande Sounthern line to Durango. Originally there was room for passengers in the converted Buick and frieght and mail in the box, but they've converted the box to carry passengers as well. Flathead power, air brakes.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/80651083@N00/2326837406/

7. HellRaiser

HellRaiser
    from Podunk, NE

And......This would be a good day, to stop at the ole hang out, and get a Maid Rite.:)

OH.....It's gone too.....:(

I know, I could go up to Milan and get one. ( I still do when I get back that way.)

HellRaiser

8. HellRaiser

HellRaiser
    from Podunk, NE

Flathead 50,

I thought they were down in Chama??????

HellRaiser

9. bobbyb

bobbyb
    from ohio

We lived right beside an Erie railroad track (in the country) and the train only went by once a day (once one direction and once back). I remember my dad telling me about one time him and his cousin took the tires off one of their cars and just ran the rims on the rails and took off down the tracks. They went to the next road turned around and came back. Can you imagine doing that today?

10. #7 is in Chama, that's the video above. #s 2, 3 and 5 are in the Railroad Museum in Golden. Both run them, but Golden you can ride them most of the time, Chama (Cumbres & Toltec) is only occasionally.

11. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

Maid Rite, now there's a piece of Midwest "tradition" for ya'. I haven't had a Maid Rite in a long time, I love those things. Great, now I'm hungry for one.... OK about make that 4 Cheese Rites! :D

My cousins owned the old Maid Rite building next to the old fire station for awhile and gave me the big metal "M" that had been on the front door.

12. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC

Wonder if they were hard to steer?

13. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC

The M&StL had them, too, in last days of their passenger service in the 50's. They would pull a modern, stainless steel coach behind it, which made an interesting contrast. My brother and I rode one many times between Hopkins, MN, and Britt, IA, to visit our grandparents, who lived in nearby Kanawha. The M&StL actually went to Kanawha on another branch line from Belmond, but there was no longer any scheduled passenger service. However, you could still buy a ticket to ride the caboose from Belmond to Kanawha, which we once did for fun. Great memories :)

14. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

Very hard, had to find the steering wheel first. hahaha

15. HellRaiser

HellRaiser
    from Podunk, NE

dieselc,

Actually they were pretty easy to steer....they had a one track mind!!!!

HellRaiser

16. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

RUDE...SO! that's what a DONK look's like...POP.

17. no steering at all, AND the clubs make you drive them slow even if you hot rod them up,,,,,, 2 speeds F 2 speeds R and a hand throttle...no steerinfg wheel at all,,,,,,yuk,,,,,, and get used to this

,,,,clack,clack,,clack..clack..clack,,, clack... "ring the bell " clack..clack,,,,,,clack,,,,"blow the horn."..clack clack clack,,,,

Attached Files:

18. outlaw1949

outlaw1949

These look much better than modern day donks!

19. HellRaiser

HellRaiser
    from Podunk, NE

But there was something about that...putt..putt..putt of those little engines as they went down the tracks.

The last one I heard of those was out in Durango this past October. First thing in the morning, one would go by the motel. About 1/2 hour later the train would come by. Then in the evening, here would come the little track inspection car with it's familiar putt...putt...putt sound, then it's little whistle as it came to a crossing.

I can't quite put my finger on it, what the fascination about those little things was. Maybe it was just because it was mechanical and had a motor.

But for this old man, it was the sound of that putt..putt. putting of those little engines. Then it was finding one of those little Maytag washing machine motors, to make our home made go cart's go. I remember I took the exhaust pipe, then ran in into a piece of eves spout to make the sound louder...You'd really be in hawg heaven to use one of those little twin cylinder maytag engines...Whoopee....Oh well...that's how some of us got starting in building something with a motor, four wheels, something to sit on, and something to steer it with.. Who needs brakes????

HellRaiser

20. Boy! dem rims put to shame those 22's the Dawg's are roll'in on, around the west side of Chicago.:eek:

21. I hear ya ,,,, it all fun,,,,anything that moves with some sort of combustion engine

Attached Files:

22. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

First "car" I ever drove was a go-kart made out of angle iron from an old bed frame with a 1-1/2 HP Briggs and wheels off a push mower and it had no brakes. I was about 8 I think and it scared the living crap out of me, as well it should have. :D

23. Boodlum

Boodlum

This one's got its own turntable. Nice touch for small garages...

Bood

24. Someone at the Canadian Pacific liked Buicks.

25. Alfster

Alfster

Chevy

Attached Files:

• chev.jpg
      chev.jpg
      File size:
      267.1 KB
      Views:
  26. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

[​IMG]Here's a nice Buick:

Attached Files:

27. amphicar

amphicar
    BANNED

What I like about these early cars, is they still managed to retain the hubcaps. Nice touch for an industrial "tool
    [​IMG]

28. cool. I've always liked trains, too. Have my cake & eat it too? SWEET!

29. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

That is too damn cool! :cool: