Register now to get rid of these ads!

I need some tig welding tips.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by butterboy, Feb 12, 2010.

1. butterboy

butterboy

This weekend with all the snow outside and nothing to do, I figure im going to teach myself to tig weld. I have a big old A.O smith tig/stick machine. So Im going to steal a bottle of argon and a torch from work and try to figure out how to make a nice stack of nickels. I got some scrap quarter inch plate im going to practice on.
    So my question is : What are some good tips and tricks for somebody who is trying to figure out how to tig weld?
    Thanks guys.

2. 19Fordy

19Fordy

TIP#1. Don't steal.

3. Ratroddude

Ratroddude
    BANNED

x2 , just borrow , with permission , of course...

4. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tip #2. Nobody that I know of has ever been able to make a stack of nickels with just two days of learnin'. It takes 5 minutes to learn how to weld, and the rest of your life to learn how to weld properly. TIG ain't that hard, but there's a little more coordination involved. You have to manipulate the puddle, operate a foot or hand control for amperage and manually add filler wire, which also acts to penetrate the parent metal as well as cool the weld puddle. Kinda like chewing gum, walking, and juggling with a bucket on your head!

I hate to sound like a parrot, but I'm going to repeat the phrase that is so often written here: "Do a Search." Both on this board, and on the internet. You'll be able to spend two days this weekend just reading.

Start here:

http://www.thefabricator.com/article/arcwelding/tig-welding---an-overview

Then maybe read this:

http://tractors.ucdavis.edu/TOMBELLTIGTIPS1.pdf

Then type "learning to tig weld" on the Google search line and hang on!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010

5. oj

oj

Turn it on and have at it.

6. butterboy

butterboy

ok ok....just borrow..I will give the tank back when its empty..of course, and for the torch it's till I buy one. My boss is cool with it.

7. 73super

73super

We figured as much... they're just funnin' witcha.

Yeah... like everybody has said... just practice your fanny off. The more you do the better you'll get...

8. Ratroddude

Ratroddude
    BANNED

BTW , if the avatar is your ride , I got a '52 Chev I'm parting out...:D

• Clean the metal very well
    • Prepare the tungsten properly
    • Redo the tungsten when it gets contaminated
    • Adjust the amperage so you get a good size puddle of molten metal
    • Dab the filler rod in the puddle
    • When you stop, keep the torch on the weld till the argon flow stops (to keep impurities out)

9. 19Fordy

19Fordy

There are lots of tig welding "tips" that aren't in books that welders learn over the years.
    If possible take a welding class. You won't be sorry.

10. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

hold your tongue to the left. always seemed to help me

11. 1959apache

1959apache

I can make a stack of nickles with only 2 days of learning. I did in a course at college and can do it today. So its not impossible. Yes, I was welding properly and I do have about 10 years of MIG and Arc under my belt, so I guess that is kind of unfair lol

to answer your question. its easiest to turn the entire end with the tungsten tip on its side to start it up then turn it vertical when you are welding. Do NOT dip the tungsten tip into the base metal... that will be your first mistake I guarantee it. start heating the base metal. then go ahead and start touching your filler metal to the base metal after you see a good sized puddle forming. then slowly move along. The hard part is keeping a perfectly straight line.

12. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

If you have tig welding equipment at work there must be somebody there that uses it. Have that person (or persons) give you some pointers and maybe a little hands on instruction. Sounds like your boss is cool so maybe he would OK a little work time instruction when things are slow. How about an after work session? Nothing like an experienced person being present for the first few hours or attempts.

Frank

13. WelderSeries

WelderSeries
    Alliance Vendor

1/4" plate seems heavy to be learning on... if you're going for strictly technique, go for it, but I would start on 3/16" personally.
    I'm with Ebbsspeed, and was going to say the same thing - if you're hoping to sell a row of dimes at the end of the weekend, I hope you're either really coordinated and it works out well for you or you're good at taking disappointment :)

Are you a drummer? Is it air cooled or water cooled?

14. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Huh, did not know that...

That was my first a'ha! moment learning tig. I was heating the surface too quickly and adding stick before the metal was ready. It's not a mig, patience! Must be why some suggest to start with oxy/acetylene welding first.

Wear safety equipment and practice, practice, practice.

15. Algon

Algon

I'm going to give you more credit just for trying it without having someone hold your hand...

Sharpen your tungsten so that the grain is vertical to focus the arc...Try starting with the 1/4 plate you have and make a butt weld. Make sure they fit tightly no gaps at all and practice fusion welding them without fill rod. If you have a pedal or roll switch set the welder so at maximum amperage the puddle just starts to form. Just weld the surface making small circles... Once you can do this play with more amps and feathering your pedal or roll switch, then add the fill rod. Go for it you're not welding titanium here... Once you get a feel for each step move on to the next then play with penetration,speed, appearance and thinner metal. On thinner metal try it without making the circles just dip the rod in and out as you move along.

If it is AC try 1/4 aluminum sheet, welding certain alloys and castings is a bit of an art but for getting in practice with using fill rod many seem to pick it up faster than even steel.

16. aaggie

aaggie

If you have a local Community College or trade school that offers courses take them. I got tired of dragging my crap to shops or friends houses and signed up. They typically start you out with Oxy-Acetlyn and you progress as far as you want. The courses are a lot less expensive than going to Lincoln or Miller classes and they mostly have top notch equipment and knowlegeabe instructors. Either way after you learn the basics and how to adjust the machine it's practice practice practice.
    I have a Lincoln Precision TIG 225 with a foot control and optional hand control. It will weld anything I have ever needed. I bought the hand control when I figured out you can't lay on a creeper under the car and use the foot switch.

17. butterboy

butterboy

Thanks, you guys are more than helpful! I'm going to practice this weekend. Then when get something that looks like a weld, I will post some pictures sit back and let the constructive criticism find it's way to me...

18. 36tbird

36tbird

www.weldingweb.com is the site I lurk on to learn TIG stuff. I got my TIG last year and feel fairly comfortable with mild steel now. Just starting to learn how to do aluminum. TIG is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

19. 117harv

117harv

It's allways nice to have small pieces of wood or tubing around to rest your arms on, it helps to steady them and makes for a nicer looking weld.

Can you play the drums?

20. gearheadwelder

gearheadwelder
    from CT.

Congratulations, You will earn the rite to wear the funny backwards hat after you master the arc.
    Try this, 125 amps, 3/32 tungsten and 3/32 er70s2 wire. Use your 1/4 " plate, clean it and ground it. The puddle should be a little bigger than the wire, and wait, you won't burn through. To start, lay the wire almost flat to the plate and wash the arc over the wire. It will melt away and have a high crown, but don't worry, you need to get the feel of holding an arc. The air gap (or arc) should be no more than 1/8". Work on this and add a little heat to see what that will do to the toes ( edges of the weld bead ) , then turn it down a little. Look for the differences.
    Good luck

21. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

D.W. can lay down some nice welds! They are all over his parts.

22. I am in the same boat. I bought a scratch tig conversion for my miller and have been learning. I burn at least one whole filler rod every morning when i first go to the shop. I have learned so much in the last week or so it scares me. It is actually working and fairly well. I can feel a quiver in the rod when everything is going right. I could feel the same thing when gas welding steel with a filler rod. Butt welding with no filler goes real well. Tried aluminum and got a sort of weld but decided I should concentrate on steel till i get it right. I have given myself a year to learn tig but already have used it for a repair in the shop.
    Learned to play the fiddle at 50 the same way. (fiddle at 50 tig at 60) regardless of the pain, practice everyday for a specific period of time no matter what. Eventually It will come. I know it from past experiences.
    Don

23. 51Gringo

51Gringo
    from Nor Cal

be brave and start out with the thinnest material you can find. If you can make nice beads on sheetmetal, then everything else will be cake. Btw, you won't be an expert in a weekend, practice a bunch!

24. It's kind of hard to explain, but one of the best tips I got when learning to tig was that it really helps keep a rythm if you can control your breathing.
    When I started, I found myself holding my breath when starting the puddle. Then my breathing ended up all over the place, and my welds were never consistant from start to finish. Now I usually start by concentrating on how I'm breathing. I try to only breath through my nose. I am exhaling all while making the puddle and dipping the filler rod,... I inhale when I let up on the peddle and advance the torch... If I inhale while making the puddle, I notice my hands don't stay as steady from my chest expanding. Maybe it's just a mental thing, but I tig alot of aluminum at work. I just find it alot easier to make that nice "stack of nickels" if I pay attention to how I'm breathing.

If that makes any sence.:confused:

25. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  26. Joe King

Joe King

keep the tungsten clean!

27. Theo:HotRodGod

Theo:HotRodGod

Yes clean, clean, clean. Do you have any thinner material to play with. I dress the tungsten verticly on a bench grinder and bring it to a sharp point. after welding for a few minuets I get a nice small ball on the tip of the tungsten. I Sugest for good practice drilling a 1-2" hole in your material and practice filling in the hole. I keep a wire brush at hand to clean the material between welds. I clean the material with acitone before and after. Stick with it and don't listen to bad juju.

28. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

I do the same thing when I stick..............but I SO need to learn TIG.:rolleyes: I'm SUPER shaky, all the damn time, so I regulate my breathing when I weld.........surprised I haven't poked my eye out with my mascara wand yet.

29. Burgy

Burgy

form puddle, dip filler, ease off pedal, move, repeat. Thats about as simple as I can put it, everything else is feel, and yes playing the drums does help, with that multi limbed coordination type stuff.