Register now to get rid of these ads!

DIY Ford 9" pinion centerline gauge?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CalrewireMatt, Feb 10, 2010.

1. CalrewireMatt

CalrewireMatt

Hey guys, Im wondering if anyone here knows the measurements or has a how-to or something to make a pinion centerline gauge? Chassisworks and Mitler Bros. sell em for well over $50 and Ive seen a few on Ebay but truthfully I could make one myself for the cost of a piece of scrap.

Im talking about the gauges that you bolt to the rearend housing and theres a little notch in it for a tape measure so you can get a housing lined up in the back of the car. Im attempting to somehow measure the pumpkin to see if I can get the measurement myself but its looking grim.

Hope someone here may be able to give the dimensions or even if theres a technical drawing floating around that shows the pinion centerline in relation to the bolt holes and I can do the math my self.

Thanks

2. Home Brew

Home Brew

THe Mitler Bros. catalog lists these for 75 dollars. I make them and sell them for 50 dollars. As you only need one for the 9 inch, here are the specs. Using a 3 inch wide piece of stock 13 and a quarter inch long, the top hole is one and an eighth from the right. The center slot is two inchs from the right. The bottom hole is nine sixteenths from the right. The spacing between the holes is nine and seven eighths on a verticle line from either hole. Hope this helps. Good luck with your project.

3. moparforlife

moparforlife
    from Rolla, MO

How about one for a Mopar 8.75?

4. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

I'll make you one for $49.50 Out of Billet Aluminum

5. CalrewireMatt

CalrewireMatt

Geezus thank you very much. You got a website? I know a few people that could use this for Dana rear ends and arent as broke as I am. Karma points go a long way.

6. Home Brew

Home Brew

They will work with Olds, Dana, 12 bolt, chrysler eight and three quarter, and Ford 9 inch. PM me if you want one. Price includes shipping.

7. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

I made mine from masonite. I might have the dimensions somewhere. It was patterened off a steel commercially made part that wouldn't clear one of my brackets. Send me a PM and I'll take a look when I get home tomorrow.

8. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Here are the dimensions from a cad drawwing I picked up somewhere. Be sure to confirm before you order axles or anything from this.

Housing center is at zero point. All dimensions from front side, looking into housing.

Top stud: .25" left, 4.875" up
    Bottom stud: .25" right, 5.0" down

Pinion centerline: .970" left, 2.25" down

Cut the slot for your tape at .970" left, zero down, to represent the point where the axles meet. You can see that the slot is to the left of both studs in the pic below.
    Remember to cut the slot for your tape measure so that one edge is directly at the housing centerline. Pull the tape against it easuring one side, push againstit measuring the other.

[​IMG]

9. projim64

projim64

S and W race cars sells one for the 9 inch Ford around $20.00