Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sharing pics of a friend's old handbuilt rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Griznant, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Griznant

Griznant

Hey everyone!

I have a friend who isn't very internet savvy, yet has a wide assortment of sweet older cars stashed away. Not all of it is HAMB friendly, but this one definitely is, and he said it'd be cool if I shared some pics. The story behind the car goes like this:

It was built back in the early 60s by some guys who also built Indy car chassis at the time. Everything on it is pretty much hand made (radius rods, windshield frame, etc.) and I doubt there is another quite like this. A lot of period parts are on it from the old bias-plys to the American racing Torque thrusts to the finned Buick brakes. The engine is an SBC that supposedly came from a late '50s 'vette. He thought the transmission was some type of Ford, and the rear-end was from an Olds. The letters "LH EH" are drilled into the grille.

I welcome any additional info that anyone may have about the car. He bought it about 30 years ago after seeing it several years earlier at an auction and wanting it. He drove it down his driveway and it's sat in this spot since then. He just likes "having" cars. He's a private guy who has no plans of selling it, I just thought I'd share it so others could at least see this sweet little rod.

BTW, that is NOT a real gun on the seat. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. One Finger John

One Finger John

Neat, it looks like a Pug dog with fins !!!

If you can, roll it out so we can get a feeling for it.

Construction wise, there is more here than meets the eye.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  3. edweird

edweird

4. Foul

Foul

Looks like one of the Mechanix Illustrated Specials.

dan

5. kookee

kookee

I agree. Looks interesting. Convince him to roll it out and show the world. =)

6. Frank

Frank

Reminds me of a Lotus 7 a little. It also reminds me of a young Barbara Streisand. Aside from the homely nose, I like it.

7. like I said before, there's an ass for every seat.

8. Very creative but a damn shame it just sits collecting dust. To me that's a complete waste but I suppose it's someone elses future "barn find" 50s engine is correct since it looks to have the staggered bolt pattern valve covers but every smallblock I've ever seen in an old hotrod was a "Vette" motor... I guess all the old surviving Vettes are running around with engines out of trucks & Bel Airs... Out of the 25,000 Vetes built in the 50s 75,000 of the engines are still around... :p

9. Griznant

Griznant

Oh trust me, I've been working on him to move that thing for the last 13 years. No dice. I even offered to go through and get it all cleaned up and running again just so I could drive it down the street once. Nope. You should see the stuff he has. Sitting on the other side of the '79 Malibu sitting next to the rod is a completely original '31 Model A truck that hasn't seen daylight in probably 50 years. He used to have a wrecking yard decades ago and kept a wide assortment of engines/etc. from "unique" cars. Very cool guy, but very reserved.

Grant

10. harrington

harrington
    from Indiana

I like it, I am not in love with the front end but its not the worst I have see. I would drive the wheels off that thing.

11. Has a "kinda-sorta" Kurtis feel... till you get to the fins on the back. Would still be a ball to drive!

12. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

If you look close that's a very well constructed car. It is a shame that he doesn't get it out and drive it.

Frank

13. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Cool little car.

14. Has the potential to really haul ass.

15. morange

morange

16. 61TBird

61TBird

What a waste of a fun car.....

17. FlamedChevy

FlamedChevy

Looks like a fun ride if you could wrench it away from the owner and get it on the road...

18. KIRK

KIRK

That is as much of a hot rod of the fiftys as they come. I remember a few simular to that back in the day. I think it would be a blast to just clean it up and run it like it is. It would really turn heads. Keep trying maybe one day he will give in.

19. The Hank

The Hank
    from CO

You would have to be really skinny to fit in those seats.

20. thats awesome! dont dig the pipe bumpers, they seem like an afterthought considering the rest of the car

21. willymakeit

willymakeit

Get more info on it. For some reason I like it.

22. yardgoat

yardgoat

Agree ,it needs to be rolled outside for better pics. Also i agree with the Corvette motor deal,they always show up in 50-60,s hot rods,except the Hemi ones haha......clean it up and let the judging begin...............YG

23. lorodz

lorodz

alot of cool parts on that ride ...

24. That's a neat little car. I'll bet it was a real terror in it's day.

I do have one question though. So what if it had been a real gun on the seat?

25. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

what a strange little car. it just kills me when people have cool or interesting shit and they just let it rot.
    that dude looks like the kind of guy that has a lot of cool shit-to bad it's going to waste.

26. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I don't think they are bumpers. I believe if you look close they are part of a tube chassis.

Frank

27. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I'd bet that the letters drilled into the grille were not done by the original builder. The build looks too thought out and fairly well executed to have drilled crooked misshapen holes right in front. Those ugly bolts holding the fenders on have me perplexed as well. They look like an afterthought too.

In general it's not my cup of tea, but I can definately appreciate the builder's work.