Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford 9 in. rear end

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by iafraser39, Feb 11, 2010.

1. iafraser39

iafraser39
    from Warmland

I have an opportunity to get a 9 inch rear end out of
    an earlier model explorer. I have research my Jerry Slattery's
    article in Street Rodder, but he does'nt mention Explorers.
    Can anyone out there advise if this would be OK for my model
    A R.P.U. Powered by smal block chev.
    Thanks IF

2. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

An early explorer would have a 8.8?

3. sprdave4264

sprdave4264
    from Arkansas

what he said....

4. Could be a REAL early Explorer...the F100 style.

Either way, all depends on your fabrication skills.

5. If it's an SUV explorer, it will be an 8.8 (with a cover). If it was a 4x4 it likely has a traction-lock carrier, not sure about ratios, probably 3 - 3.5:1 since they were fed by 4 speed autos

If it is an early f100 style explorer, it will be a a 9". I'm guessing the axle will be too wide and the carrier will be open with an unexciting 3:1 at best but likely a 2.75:1, maybe even a 2.47:1 Definitely not a performance piece.

Either way your looking at cutting down the axles and tubes. If it is a mild SBC an 8.5" 10 bolt is also an option

6. Ranchero

Ranchero

The 8.8's out of 4x4 Explorers have the pumkin off-set 3" to the right which could be problem if you don't have room under the car to accomodate the off-set (I didn't). The good thing is that you only have to cut one axle tube to both even it out and narrow it. The 8.8 4x4's have Traction Lock and a variety of ratios including 4.10's.

7. shagg'n

shagg'n

Did just that-cut 1 tube,ordered second "short axle".Worked perfect for me.I found a posi,3.73,with disc brakes too.Pretty strong too from what I understand.

8. Ranchero

Ranchero

Yeah -they are strong. 31 spline axles, good gears. The locker is not the best (or so I've heard) but the price is right.

Speaking of....the price on these has come down considerably. The Explorer was the most traded in vehicle during the cash for clunkers deal last year.

9. mustangdug

mustangdug

Ya the explorers are 8.8's they range in gears from3.25 to 4.10, some are traction locks, some are not. I have used 2 of them so far, one in my 69 mustang, was about 1/2 wider than stock i think and one in my 29 coupe. The center is offset but that makes no differance as long as the pinion angle is correct. It's the cheapest way to get limited slip(easy to rebuild too) good gears and good cheap disk brakes. Good strong units, i wouldnt hesitate to use one.

My .02, for what it's worth!:D

Doug