Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford V-8 Flathead Engine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fordpk52, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Fordpk52

Fordpk52
    from 02919

Has anyone done up a Ford V-8 Flathead Engine. I am looking to doing up a V8 Flathead engine ie: Engine Kit (pistons,rings ,cam ,lifters,valves etc and new intake for Tri-Carb setup. Has anyone done up something like this? Are there any catalogs for all the engine parts etc for this motor. I want to take the 6 OHV out of my F-1 ,'52 and put in the done up V8. Any suggestions here would be helpful on do's and don't's

Thank You
    Fordpk52

2. Billybobdad

Billybobdad

3. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

'doing up'??? No...nobody in the history of hotrodding has EVER "done up" a flathead. They've never been popular with the 'doing up' crowd and were sent to the scrap yards as soon as the OHV8 engines were available - before then, nobody 'did up' no flathead motor ever hardly never at all.

There is a small contingency of aficionados that have been known to "hop up" flatheads and many presently large companies with recognizable names started out providing goods and services to individuals who wished to improve the performance of the flathead V8. I have searched my voluminous archives and have found SPEED SHOP, HOP UP, HOT ROD, but no automotive references to DO UP....perhaps a beauty salon would be able to assist you in your desire to "do up" a flathead.

With my tongue now OUT of my cheek, perhaps you'd do yourself a favor and spend a bit of time using the archives here on the HAMB, or researching "flathead high performance" in any other archival forum, as well as just learning the hot rod jargon.

dj

4. I came here for the sarcasm, and will leave happy :)

Seriously though...many of us are 'doing up' flatheads. There's a wealth of info. Why, I myself and 'doing up' a flathead for my F-1 as my budget will allow. Do a search, you'll find everything you need to know.

5. Ralph Moore

Ralph Moore

Thank you sir may I have another!

Tough crowd.

6. I just read your biography Fordpk52. That's an awesome story, and we'll need to see pictures. Be sure to join the Bonus Built group here too.

7. dirty petcock

dirty petcock

Don't be a dick, the guy Is just asking a question. All you cool guy HAMBtards need to realize being an asshole is not that cool. This is also a message board for people who may not know as much as you to ask questions. As for a place to buy parts call pactrick's or speedway if you have any more questions or want something built for you call Al Clarke at Go Devil Garage (518) 477-6725 all he does is early ford engines he will do a great job of helping you out. Stick with 2carbs, 3 is a bit much for the street.

8. Dont be a dick? Hey, it's what we do best, as you should have realised by now. :D
    Oh for the days of Germ.....

9. greazhonkey

greazhonkey

I have to agree with Dirty Petcock, a lot of you guys are so quick to jump someone's ass over nothing. So what if he says "Done up", it did'nt hurt my feelings, shouldn't hurt anyone else.

10. Tank

Tank

Ive built a few myself, and many of the people on the board have also. Patricks will be able to hook you up on many of the parts youll need. Pick up a Hemmings Motor News if you havent aleady, 3 carbs would look sweet, but might be a bit much for the street. Guess thats what progressive linkage is for. Speedway also carries a lot of flathead goodies. But a lot of there House brand stuff is so-so Imported stuff. So use caution. I had bad luck with a set of there valve guides. Any more questions just ask!

11. Tank

Tank

Oh man, did I get harassed by that guy when I joined! I kinda miss him....

12. A lot of very well versed Flathead people here on the HAMB. Just ask away with direct questions, and be sure to do a search. Good luck with your project.

13. 36tbird

36tbird

The comedian Ron White comes to mind here, "you can't fix ............." It is pompous and selfish to come on here and without doing any research, ask a bunch of esteemed old heads to comment on your desire to build a flathead. Coming on the HAMB to me is like walking into some guy's garage, that dirty-jeaned outlaw guy, who ran that '55 Chevy through the traps of the local gendarme back in '67 just to throw the figurative finger at them. You went off to make a living in the conventional forms while he continued to do his thing making a living working on the local neighbor's Hudsons and Packards. But now, you are a new kid to this "nostalgia thing" or you want some free advice just because you think you can throw around some key "old school" terms like "flathead done up". Nope, as a flathead guy who has done some home building, I would not give this guy the time of day except to come on here and defend those who are waving the BS flag. But, other than that, I do not have an opinion on this thread.:D

14. flathead4d

flathead4d

AMEN. Does the word bulley mean anything?

15. A search for threads with FLATHEAD in the title got me 480 options. Try it.

Also look in the tech section, lots of good threads there.

16. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

my "do up"...LOL

Attached Files:

• 016.jpg
      016.jpg
      File size:
      361 KB
      Views:
  17. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Guys here tend to get uptight when FNGs ask wide open questions without doing a thread search. They like to focus on very specific and unique questions.

Also beware of using terms like "E-bay" or the dreaded "rat rod", they'll freak on you.

18. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Yep. I did. In 1957-1959 I had a '51 Ford convertable. It came with a V-8 Flathead. The car had been rode hard and put away wet before I acquired it. The motor ran good but needed a lot of doin' up, new hoses, battery cables, fan belt, etc. I painted the air cleaner and top of the radiator to match the sun faded paint. The top was tattered from abuse, never did get that fixed, couldn't dig up the change to pay for it. I used the car to tow my dirt track stock car, tossed the spare tires and gas cans in the back seat. What a blast it was..............

I read your bio, and I hope you get a lot of enjoyment with that truck.

I would do a search here, for details on what to do, and on EBAY for parts, there are thousands everyday on EBAY if you revise your searches.

Keep on keepin' on!

19. Straightpipes

Straightpipes

Oh Wait!! Don't go!! Come back!! Fuck these guys.:rolleyes:

I prefer "soup" or "hop" as opposed to "do". But, you can really say anything you want here --- just no necked girlie pics or cusses in the title line. Welcome to the HAMB.

20. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Your questions are probably a bit broad for this group and could be surely answered within a few minutes of browsing this site, but so what. Try Egge Machine, Mac's Auto Parts, the HAMB Classifieds, Ebay, local swap meets, etc for parts. There are a lot of places out there offering parts and services for them. As for "doing one up"... You know, I kinda like it. I think I'm gonna start using the term immediately.:D;) Here's the one I'm doing up right now...
    [​IMG]

21. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

My Sister got Done Up Twice, but not in Johnstown Rhode Island.
    I just had to take a shot !!
    Buy one of Joe Abbin's books. He is the man when it comes to Flatheads. Good luck.

22. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Probably cant fix arrogant ether^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  23. Ashcraft

Ashcraft
    from Colorado

I noticed the guy has been a member for over three years. No wonder he doesn't post much. One simple question and he gets hammered!

I admin a firearms board and we get a lot of the same type of noob questions, but our standards are tighter and I would have deleted most of the posts in this thread and issued some warnings.

Take it easy on the newbies.

24. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

I already "did this one up".....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Get your wallet ready for sticker shock......"doing up" flatheads ain't cheap......

CB

25. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Yeah, sure, take it easy on the newbies. :rolleyes: I'm not quite sure why it's so hard to hang out a while and read threads to get accustomed to the atmosphere so you can ask knowledgeable questions. That's what I did when I first joined... Maybe it's too much work???? I have posted some smart ass replies once in a while, but I have always done a search before I start a thread. :cool:

26. Ashcraft

Ashcraft
    from Colorado

^Always a good idea, and I appreciate it when a new member takes that approach. But let's face it, they don't all do it. I mod a couple of sites, and sometimes it takes the patience of Job!

And cuznbrucie, that's a sweet flattie!

27. Straightpipes

Straightpipes

Hey Cruzinbrucie, That coil cover that you done up is pretty nifty.....

28. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

Why, thank you, Ashcraft......it runs as sweet as it looks too....

CB

29. Fordpk52, forgive some of the guys on here, their manners aren't the best and we all need to help them now and then. Although sometimes the best thing is to read more, use the search feature and post very carefully here so you don't have to go through this.

And welcome to the HAMB, your biography was heartwarming and you have three fine young men for sons and a great family. Enjoy your truck and don't let any of this bother you. Just think of this as an "initiation"! :D

""I always tinkered with classic's over the years but this last Classic one brings the meaning of Sentimental Value. A few weeks ago I turned the Big 60 and my family took me out to dinner this nite. After the meal was over my three sons came up and handed me a gift bag with a little Teddy Bear with a Santa's Hat. Around it neck was a chain an attached to the chain were a set of keys. The keys did not look like any car or truck key. To me it looked like a key to some type of tool box or something. My boys then said I had to go outside and see what the keys fit. So we went outside and there I saw a little blue pickup with a bow on it. I still didn't catch on because the keys were not a truck key and I said to myself what I nice present for someone. I didn't know it was mine until one of my sons moved away from the passenger door and I saw the name of my company I had 20 years ago and then I knew that the pickup which I admired was not only a 1952 Ford F1 Pickup but it was mine. I couldn't find any words to say just tears in my eyes and the Love for my Sons and family.Now I have a new/old toy to play with.

Here's my "do up" :D (forgive the alternator, its getting a generator!)
    <table style="width:auto;"><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From Our Old Car Collection</td></tr></table>

I found a word left out of this post..................

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  30. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

All bullshit aside plenty of people here have done up the flathead,raced them,modified them,improved them, sold them, traded them, and re worked them.Its the original hot rod engine.Use the search button and you will find some great stuff from people who really know their stuff.Places like speedway motors,hot rod company,EGGE,H&H flatheads,and flathead jacks all are great parts places to build the vintage engine you want.Now go build it and welcome to the club