Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Take That Mrs. Lauren!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Feb 10, 2010.

1. autobilly

autobilly

I wonder if that kid ever pulled off his dream, sure hope he did.

2. auto shop

auto shop
    from kentucky

This type of slacking off is excused in my classroom. Dreams do come true mine did. It could get you an A for the day.

3. akjim

akjim

Didn't Rick Perry feature it on a cover of one of his books?

4. I love the car, but the steering wheel is something I've got to have. Any body know what is off of? Anybody got one.

5. Don Richardson of Hoquiam Washington owns the Doug Rice coupe. He has had it at several Hotrod-A-Rama's in the past. He left it in my care one night and said I could drive it around if I wanted too. I drove it around the parking lot for a few minutes but I was so scared that I would screw it up that I just parked it. It is extremely hard to see out of. The baddest 39 coupe of all time in my humble opinion. Scarred me for life.

Attached Files:

6. Shawn M

Shawn M

This reminds me of one of my immature moments of taking something that wasn't mine. I was in 5th or 6th grade, around '84. We went to the library at school once a week, we had magazines there, one of them was HOT ROD. Some of you may remember when Billy Gibbon's "Eliminator" was featured in HOT ROD. I remember it well because I ripped the article out of the magazine and made it my own.

7. williebill

williebill

One of my all time favorite cars..whenever I see somebody say "don't chop a 39/40 !",I always think of that car.If I ever win the lottery,that car is very near the top of the list...beautiful lines

8. What engine was in it when you were babysitting it, and was it the same type as in it's Bonneville days?

9. sololobo

sololobo

I had this image etched in my head from the early day mags, my mom had a magazine rack in her cafe and she let me order every thing I could and always had the rags. I remember I would catch hell for having so many stacked in my bed!! The cool factor just drips, amazing performance and all! Thanx for a little memory lane on this one!! Gracious ~Sololobo~

10. wizzard23

wizzard23

Isnt that wheel a '49 - '52 Chevy optional butterfly wheel? If so they are readily available for under 300 dollars.

11. Jake H.

Jake H.

I love that car in an unhealthy way. The picture I took of it at HotRodArama 2 or 3 was my screen saver for years.

Very cool to find that writing in an old mag. Stickin' it to "the man", but with very nice cursive penmanship, I might add!

Seaholm, you should've dragged main in that bad boy! Kidding, I would have been shakin' in my Chuck Taylors, just lettin' out the clutch in that rolling historical gem.

12. lowrd

lowrd

The car is still alive with Richardson as the current custodian. The original builder is still upright and living in the area as well.

13. barqsnut

barqsnut
    from Pearl, MS

You ought to see the s*#t today's seventh graders write in my History books. I wish they wrote/dreamed of cars (of any sort) rather than what comes from their minds onto the pages.

14. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Cool story! Also nice to see that the car is still around!

15. duste01

duste01

I'm a gett'n, I'm a gett'n........

16. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

OK, We know where the car is today. Now where and who is the kid? The HAMB oughta be able to sleuth this one!
    Anyone out there taught by a Mrs Lauen in the early 50"s?

17. str8 6 str8 edge

str8 6 str8 edge
    from Tampa

Nope, not the butterfly wheel, and the repops are a little flimsy.

18. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I collect old Hot Rod magazines and am always buying the ones to fill my gaps. About 15 years ago I bought one from the late 50's at a swap meet in a different state. When I got it home I saw it was from the town I was living in and from a house about 3 blocks away. I got out the phone book and the guy stilll lived there. I called him up and asked about his magazines. He said he sold them at a garage sale about 10 years prior. I wonder how many hands it went through before I got it and brought it back to town.

19. ZRODZ

ZRODZ

I remember Doug running this car at the drags in Shelton, Washington in '53 - '54. It has always been one of my favorites and is one of the reasons I came to love all things on wheels.