Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. metal bender

metal bender
    from texas

This car was sold to Gary B. by Shlafer , dont rember the year , if Bettenhousen made one Willy Davis must have done the job !! :rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  2. AugieAscot

AugieAscot

Sorry Brian26, by the 1980s I knew I'd never be a photographer and had stopped taking pictures. Not sure when Bub stopped driving the Gas Chem car but he was still driving it when I moved to Palmdale and slowed down on going to watch the sprinters at Ascot.

3. racer5c

racer5c

D.J.C. and Gary B.

Attached Files:

• f.jpg
      f.jpg
      File size:
      65.4 KB
      Views:
  4. racer5c

racer5c

Gary Bettenhausen leading in out car probably Parsons in the Lockard Badger, Larry Patton in the #7 and probably Dana Carter in the Blue Higman car

Attached Files:

5. racer5c

racer5c

Gary B winning feature at IRP in our car

Attached Files:

• g.jpg
      g.jpg
      File size:
      547.1 KB
      Views:
  6. racer5c

racer5c

The Lockard Badger

Attached Files:

7. racer5c

racer5c

I think Jim Dieter turned the wrong way on 41 this day, he was supposed to go to Joliet but ended up at Terre Haute, they did run 10th though on the dirt with a pavement car

Attached Files:

8. racer5c

racer5c

one cool dude! Bob Lockard, oh and Parsons too

Attached Files:

9. Jim Dieter

Jim Dieter
    from Joliet

Always fought sidebite with that thing. JP actually ran 2nd at Cedar Rapids when it was dirt. Pancho ran 3rd at Lima in it. But it was a case where the drivers carried it.

10. racer5c

racer5c

I always thought Gary and Willie built it guess I was wrong, but when the car first ran the engine was not on a 45, the pics from Salem 1977 are the first time out with that car I remember that day well, maybe Gary and Willie modified it, would Shlafer have had access to the Shrike side pods, had a bladder made for them etc.? I always loved the hood too looked like a big Edmunds Midget, front bars were half bars just like on my Turner/Bettenhausen midget

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  11. Jerracer

Jerracer

Here's a link to the Dick Woodland's website. There are quite a few cars here that would be of interest to everyone on this thread. Remember the Edmunds Supermod from quite a few posts back? It now lives here among other cool cars and even warbirds.

http://www.ewarbirds.org/automotive/woodland.html

12. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

I forgot that I posted this shot earlier, of Gary with the car on dirt, on the mile at Indy....Rich

Attached Files:

13. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Got some Hot wings....Rich

Attached Files:

14. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Second's...

Attached Files:

15. gearguy

gearguy

The crew restoring the Fredrickson Midget roadster has been getting photos of the car at various points in its career. With 4 different motors, 2 different noses, at leat 2 cages, and who knows how many paint jobs it will be quite a scrapbook going on display with the car.

In a recent batch of photos was this 1965 photo of Bob Harkey with a dirt champ car. Any ideas as to the track?

Chuck Schultz
    Winfield Illinois

Attached Files:

16. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Sept. of 65, it would be the Hoosier Hundred at ISF.

17. trentesept

trentesept
    from Australia

Hi guys , I absolutely love the thread on the offset, angled engine De Dion car and how the innovators had to battle the establishment at every turn because the guys they were running against hadn't even thought of what they had already committed to the metal. I think it has ever been thus .Those at the front are reined in to comply with mediocrity of the also rans!!
    "Don't bring a different sized bucket and spade to our sandpit , or we won't let you play!!"
    I also am intrigued by the headers in post #9394 which seem to be addressing the crossover problem solved in the central exhaust of the Quad cam Ford without running a flat plane crank.
    I am doing one of these at the moment and the shots on here of the down pipe Quad cam sprinters show they were very effective without the crossover pipes.I will put a header shot on , It is a Ford V-6 in an AC 3000 ME , the car that AC built after the Cobra ,and which as a consequence sent them broke as a result.
    I hope it is not too far OT as it is not far removed from the pipes on the sprinter and the later cages and wings which I cant recall before '69 seem to be getting easy acceptance.
    By the way, does anybody have a contact for a Chevy flat plane crank at a speedy motors type price ??
    I would love to try one
    Cheers Greg

Attached Files:

18. racer5c

racer5c

Sure looks like the Indy Mile to me

19. racer5c

racer5c

http://www.scatcrankshafts.com/
    ask For Tom Lieb, he is the owner, he's a great guy. tell him Roy Caruthers sent you

20. Racingphotoguy

Racingphotoguy
    from Wisconsin

21. Buildy

Buildy

22. metal bender

metal bender
    from texas

The Shlafer car was built in 72 he had a boat maker do the glass body , but he first made the moulds. and it was idependent in 4 corners with a pinto cable steering to a pinto rack and he got the rear end parts off a rear engine indy car and modified them . He also made full print for the whole job !

23. wynns #1

wynns #1

Hi Offy220,
    Sorry for your losses.You have a very important car and can appreciate your need to sell it for as much as you can. Most collectors have an idea of what they think their car is worth and how much they think they can sell it for. Right now the market may be a little "soft".My advise would be to contact a few repected people in the vintage race car community and try to get a consensus of its value. The condition of the engine is very important. An ad in Hemmings, Vintage Oval, or National Speed Sport News would give maximum exposure.

24. racer5c

racer5c

I think we are talking two different cars, here is the solid front axle in the Gary B. Car,

Attached Files:

• b.jpg
      b.jpg
      File size:
      138.1 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  25. wynns #1

wynns #1

Hi Buildy,
    Yes that was Lou Johnson in Cal Krusens new CAE sprinter. It was May1968 at Middletown. Actually, it was our car that spun and started the mess!

26. wynns #1

wynns #1

Hi Guys,
    Just something to throw out there.I always admired the Industial Hardwood #71 usac sprinter owned by Mark Hughes.I think it was metalic brown. A Ron ward car? It ran with us in URC a couple of times in 1968 with Wayne Woodward driving.Any photos Old Bill?
    What can you guys tell me about Al Smith from Dayton Ohio. It seems that he had some good finishes in USAC, but is rarely talked about. Is he still alive?
    P.S. What happened to the Industrial #71?

27. metal bender

metal bender
    from texas

Right , we are . :rolleyes:

28. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Smith died in 1985. 'Came up' through the supers and had some good USAC rides and a few wins, a journeyman racer, so to speak. What is most memorable, for me, is that he was still flogging the old Chenoweth F/E roadster, on the champ trail, as late as 69.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  29. Buildy

Buildy

I was at the Dover race in 1969 and Al Smith was in the Roadster at that one.