Register now to get rid of these ads!

IFS on 1950 F1

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotstepn, Feb 7, 2010.

1. hotstepn

hotstepn

Has anyone installed a IFS kit on 1950 F1? I bought a Custom IFS kit with coil overs from TCI when they ASSURED me the crossmember was a one piece. Well, when it came to my door it was a three piece. I called the tech line and they again said it should be all one piece. They said they would ship the right one. 2hrs later, the tech guy called back and said that the 48-52 kit was the only one with a three piece kit and should be easy to install. Well now I'm sending the kit back because the kit was so misrepresented and I wanted a one piece x-memer. I'm now looking at a No Limit kit which they assure me that their kit is a one piece. Any thoughts on No Limit or any one else? No Limit seems to be the only one making a one piece x-member for my year. Thanks for any help..

2. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

Search "Jag IFS in F1"...ITs a ONE PIECE!

3. Juggalo56

Juggalo56

ya the no limit kit is a one piece and a very well built and designed one. i went to fabrication school tought by the owner of no limit adn ended up gettina job there for a while till my back went out. have installed a few of the kits. very well built and very well thought out design. have seen the pros and cons to many kits out there and i would trust the No limit kit anyday...
    hopefully others can voice their opinions and give other ideas to kits. i personally like the kit and would install it on any trucks i own

4. jag I.F.S. work good. check out the FTE forum, ford truck enthusiasts for info on your swap.

5. I say go for the XJ Jag front end as well.

6. rpol7966

rpol7966

The Jag IFS is a very easy installation. It is a bolt on unit that can be installed in one weekend! Repair parts are very reasonable. You need to find a '79-'87 XJ6 or '79-'92 XJ12 as a donor vehicle. Complete cars are pretty easy to find. The IFS units can be bought for $300 or less. Try to get a complete IFS with the power steering pump and hoses along with the "Z" joint for that attaches the steering column to the rack.
    The Jag IFS has all SAE non metric bolts except for the brake hoses. Another plus is the rotors have 5X4 3/4" Chevrolet bolt pattern.
    It's amazing how adaptable the Jag IFS crossmembers are for most any vehicle. For simplicity and cost it can't be beat.
    Tim

7. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

I put an original Mustang II in my '51 F-1. I used the original crossmember since it comes out of the car in one piece (after an insane amount of cutting, grinding, and chiseling, damn unibody's). The main draw back of this is you have to narrow the F-1 frame about 4 in. (think Z-ing on the horizontal) to slip it in there. That is why the common kits are 3 pieces. With the original MII geometry, the frame rails would get in the way and cause interferences. If No-Limit is making a good quality one piece unit, I say give it a try.

8. 1bdsinner

1bdsinner
    from phoenix

Jaguar i hear puts it down in the grass!. I used a nova clip with drums and running boards are about 6 inches off the ground. I did it cause I was on a budget but hear jag set up are cheap as Fu*&,....

9. rpol7966

rpol7966

A JAG IFS will lower the front around two inches. If you want it lower, the lower A-arm spring pocket is bolted on. All you need to do is make a spacer to drop the spring pocket on a A-arm.
    A Jag IFS track width is approximately 60" wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface.
    Go to FTE (Ford Truck Enthusiast) forum for a lot of great information on using a Jag IFS in a 48-52 F1.
    Tim

10. willymakeit

willymakeit

If I remember correctly the early camaro and firebird will slip between the frame rails. Maybe the same for novas. Its been over 30 yrs since I did one.

11. TERPU

TERPU

Maybe this is the wrong place for this, but here goes anyways.

CCT has a great dropped axle for the F-1. I have one and drive thousands of miles with it. All over from going to the dump fully loaded to empty hauling ass up the freeway and it handles like it's on rails and with the right springs it is a really soft great ride. I have had the IFS stuff and it wasn't that great. Maybe it's just prefference but send that shit back and put a dropped axle, new shocks, and good springs and you save yourself alot of hassle and money. If you want put disc brakes on it front and back and then it'll really be great.

Tim

12. RHOPPER

RHOPPER

One more vote for the Jag. Has every thing you want, is cheap, and installs in a weekend. Check my gallery on the ford truck site for pics.

13. 2manyprojects

2manyprojects

Volaire a little hard to find but agreat fit. Handles real well with a 351c FMX setting above it. And besides with the torsion bars you can get the exsact hieght you need.

Attached Files:

14. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

I had some pics saved of Jag IFS from when I had a '51 F-1.

I don't remember anythign about the pics except that it is Jag IFS. the truck wasn't mine, someone on the HAMB posted the pics many years ago.

Attached Files:

livertucky likes this.
  15. hotstepn

hotstepn

Thanks for all the help. I'm in the process of sending the TCI Custom IFS back. I'm heavily leaning on the No Limit IFS. Still have some time before I get my money back to think things over and gather more info. THANKS AGAIN to all!

16. keep in mind the majority of the aftermarket crossmembers are far from being "bolt in!" the one thing i have found about aftermarket parts "the wheels do bolt on!"

17. Juggalo56

Juggalo56

yea that is something always to think about. even if they say bolt in. they almost never are fully bolt it.

the NoLimit kit is definately not a bolt in kit. its a fully weld in kit and make sure youtake the time to measure correctly and read instructions before and during theprocess of any kit you buy.

18. rokcrln

rokcrln

19. hotstepn

hotstepn

Hey thanks for the pictures and info. Your project is looking great! Nice to hear you can spend time on the truck and with your son. Lucky you...Keep up the good work and send more pictures.

20. '80s Ford Aerostar vans are cheap and plentiful. Everything attaches to a single crossmember that unbolts from the unibody. All are R&P, most if not all have power steering, all have disc brakes, common Ford bolt pattern. Parts readily available and any tire store can align it. Measure the tread width to see if it's close to the stock F1 width--I saw one under a '54 F-100 and it looked like it was born that way.

21. rokcrln

rokcrln

The 54's are a bit wider, I think the Areostar would be too wide and cause tire to fender troubles.

Kevin
    LFD Inc.

22. 8flat

8flat

I've had it both ways, and if I had to do it over I think I'd go this route, I agree with Tim.

But I don't agree with the price difference, keeping the original susp. isn't much cheaper (once you upgrade the springs, drop axle, disc brakes, etc)

23. SlamIam

SlamIam

My daily driver F1 has a Pacer IFS that installed in 1 piece, the best $75 I ever spent on my truck. It's the right track width and fits the frame with little or no cutting. Depending on how you install it the bumper winds up between 5 and 8 inches off the ground - I installed mine so the bumper sits at 5-1/2 inches. It rides and handles very well and has made my F1 a whole lot more fun to drive, especially at speeds over 60 mph. If you can find someone with this IFS under an F1 in your area, see if they will let you drive it and experience what I'm talking about for yourself.

The stock Pacer IFS is suited for the weight of the F1 with 11-inch 5-lug rotors, Bendix calipers, full lower A-Arms, TRW power R&P steering, and a fat anti-roll bar. It uses American made parts available at NAPA (I have the generic part #'s if anyone needs them) except for the steering rack, but I recently found a place that rebuilds them. I can't say enough good things about this IFS, you really have to drive one to see what I mean. Pacer donor cars are still available in my area and I have a spare stashed away, but lack of Pacer donors in other areas would be the only negative I could think of. There may be a better factory IFS out there, but make sure it's not too wide.